Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

ml4m wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:04 pm
Hey ya'll,

<Snip>

Thanks in advance!
With those measurements I would strongly prefer the 49cm frame if faced with the same decision myself.

I'm looking at your Scott's Reach + Stem and imagining you would have to reduce the stem length on a 52cm SL7 to something very short, which isn't ideal.

Next, have a look at the seat tube angle between the 3 bikes:

SL7 (49cm), 75.5°
SL7 (52cm), 74°
Addict (47cm), 74.5°

Have a look at your saddle's fore-aft on the 74.5° to see how that's working for you. If it's slammed to either extreme that may sway you one way or the other. Between the two, my hunch is the steeper 49cm frame may work for your inseam better than the slacker 74° 52cm, but just a guess and hard to know with more info.

Lastly... man, 2015 Scott Addict was such a cool year. Specifically, the Team Issue paint scheme (blue/white/red) was one of my favorites and it's aged really well. Oh, but SL7 has awesome colorways, too.

aeroorea

by aeroorea

Hi guys!

Im quite new into road cycling and I bought my first bike this summer actually. Although, I think Ive made mistake choosing the right size. You see, I have stupidly long legs. My height is 6 ft 3 and my inseam is a whopping 96cm (37.7 inches)

The guy over at my local bikeshop suggested I would go for a size 58 for the Cube Attain Race, which I did without asking. I do need to have the seatpost up quite high, but hey for me who doesnt have anything to compare it to I think it works pretty good.

When I have been googling around and watching bike fitting videos on YT lately it seems like I should ride a bigger frame than the one Ive got.

It's now about 6 months ago I purchased my first bike, which for me at the time was quite expensive. But now Im looking to buy a new one, and 4-6000 euro for a bike all of a sudden feels really reasonable.

So my question to you guys is:

Will I (with my crazy long inseam) be able to buy a aero-ish bike which could fit me? I have not tested like a 61cm frame but from what I can tell on the images, is that the reach will be to long because of my shorter torso.

Does it make any sense for me to buy lets say: A Canyon Aeroad in size L, Tarmac in size 58, Cannondale Supersix in 58 or should I go for a bigger frame?

Hope anyone can help a beginner out!

Have a nice day.
Last edited by aeroorea on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

40 to 60,000 euros is a nice budget
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

aeroorea

by aeroorea

My bad, I meant 4-6000 eur.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

aeroorea wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:16 pm
My bad, I meant 4-6000 eur.

With a crazy long inseam, you likely will be better off with a less aggressive geometry in order to keep your saddle-bar drop sane. it depends on arm length, trunk length, flexibility, etc.

At 6’3”, 60cm frames should also be in the ballpark.

ml4m

by ml4m

maxim809 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:47 am
ml4m wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:04 pm
Hey ya'll,

<Snip>

Thanks in advance!
<snip>

Lastly... man, 2015 Scott Addict was such a cool year. Specifically, the Team Issue paint scheme (blue/white/red) was one of my favorites and it's aged really well. Oh, but SL7 has awesome colorways, too.
Thanks for the insight on seat tube angles.
I ended up going with the 52cm as I sat and test rode a 52aethos with 90mm stem and it felt great.

The saddle on my addict is slammed forward so I'm actually hoping the 52 should be good when considering a shorter reach handlebar.

Here's my addict, and indeed, I agree they've aged very well.
Attachments
E75778B5-BFDA-4BFC-B182-7C751C11B33F.jpeg

Bonty

by Bonty

Hi,

Due to Covid-19 I have had to blind order a Ribble Endurance SL Disc without being fitted. Looking at the way things are going, the showroom won't be open before the bike is built.

I have ordered a Large but would really appreciate a second opinion on my choice.

According to their size chart I'm in-between sizes but didn't choose the smaller one as recommended on the Ribble website.

This will be my first proper road bike so I'm not quizzed up in regards to fit.

I know you guys don't have a crystal ball but is their anything glaringly obvious that would make you say no to a Large given my dimensions?

My measurements are:

Height : 178.5cm / 5ft 10.5"
Arm length : 186.5cm - 8cm Positive Ape Index
Inseam : 85cm / 33.5"

I have mild lower back / flexibility issues and weak core strength that I'm working on. Intended use is 3-4 hours rides. The area I ride in is extremely hilly so lots of seated / standing climbing. Also will get thrashed to bits on the turbo trainer!

Any advice to a relative newcomer to road cycling would be greatly appreciated !
Last edited by Bonty on Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Given you arm span, I'd say you got the right size. The smaller size would have required an outrageously long stem. I'd almost say you'd be fine with a racier geometry bike in a L/56cm.

Bonty

by Bonty

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:57 pm
Given you arm span, I'd say you got the right size. The smaller size would have required an outrageously long stem.
Phew, that's good to hear. thanks !

Looking at Bar XY positions, the Medium in X axis is 7mm shorter but the Y position is 22mm less. So does that basically mean I won't be as crouched forward on the Large if the Bar Y position is higher? Or is it offset by the fact that the top tube is 20mm longer on the large?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bonty wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:02 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Given you arm span, I'd say you got the right size. The smaller size would have required an outrageously long stem.

Looking at Bar XY positions, the Medium in X axis is 7mm shorter but the Y position is 22mm less. So does that basically mean I won't be as crouched forward on the Large if the Bar Y position is higher? Or is it offset by the fact that the top tube is 20mm longer on the large?

If you bought a medium you would need a longer stem. With a standard -6deg stem, going longer would increase the stack (Y) and the reach (X). If you added spacers, it would decrease the reach and increase the stack.

Bonty

by Bonty

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:40 pm
Bonty wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:02 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

If you bought a medium you would need a longer stem. With a standard -6deg stem, going longer would increase the stack (Y) and the reach (X). If you added spacers, it would decrease the reach and increase the stack.
Understood. Many thanks

gauss

by gauss

Hi,

got the opportunity to buy a Systemsix Di2 in size 54 for 4000€. :beerchug:

I'm 172cm with an inseam of 78cm and arm length of 58cm. (Stack: 53,82) Usually I would go for the smaller size. Is there still the possibility for me to have a comfortable ride on it or do you think it is slightly too big for me?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gauss wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:59 pm
Hi,

I'm 172cm with an inseam of 78cm and arm length of 58cm. (Stack: 53,82) Usually I would go for the smaller size. Is there still the possibility for me to have a comfortable ride on it or do you think it is slightly too big for me?

We can't give you a definitive answer with this information. Most 54cm bikes are around 545mm stack and I don't know if Cannondale is omitting a required spacer/headset cover in their 540mm figure. If we add 20mm in spacers to the 51cm bike, the reach decreases to about 375mm

gorkypl

by gorkypl

aeroorea wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:42 pm
Im quite new into road cycling and I bought my first bike this summer actually. Although, I think Ive made mistake choosing the right size. You see, I have stupidly long legs. My height is 6 ft 3 and my inseam is a whopping 96cm (37.7 inches)
With 96cm inseam, you will need saddle to BB around 85-87cm. Without insanely huge seatpost this means seattube around 61cm as a starting point.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

gauss wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:59 pm
Hi,

You will have relatively short part of the seatpost exposed - with all the negative consequences. On the other hand, you seem to have long torso, so it may be the only option.

To put things in perspective - I have 88cm inseam and 183cm height (10/11cm more than you) and all my bikes have 54-56 cm seattubes and 56-56.5 cm top tubes with 120mm stems.

You seem to have the same torso length with 10cm shorter legs, which would suggest seattube around 44-46cm but with a long top tube.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s