Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fubar

by Fubar

Hi guys,

Im looking for a new bike. Im able after 6 years and a heart surgery. Owned a lot of bikes and was on the most of them; overstretched.. i have an inseam of ca. 88cm and height is 178,5cm, 63 kilos at 32 years old.. pretty long arms.. I currently have an giant sl 2012 . Height saddle from crank up is 74cm (99 cm from the ground), 90mm stem and height steer is around 93 cm from the ground up. It rides smooth with its sram red 2x10.

But it keeps me wanting to have a new bike. Why... the giant fits ok, sometimes the feeling overstretched but think thats the drop..
Guess the bike is a size m, nowhere to find a sticker, but its an isp and the height is good.. bit used to endurance right now.

What other bike comes to you in mind? Not looking for the newest model. A good used one is okay. A cannondale synapse, but i guess the weight is heavier.. a specialized roubaix 54cm? Trek domane? Isaac element 52cm? Mis my ridley noah btw, but thats too aero i guess?

Or is this an option: steer height is 90cm... Can go up with one spacer.
https://www.2dehands.be/a/fietsen-en-br ... delen.html

Or just only some new wheels... Found me a really cheap set of fulcrum quattro alu. But maybe want some more aero (like 40-45mm).

Can you guys help me out? What wheels can do to a bike: https://www.google.com/amp/s/stravaddic ... eview/amp/

Fubar

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fubar

by Fubar

https://ibb.co/N1pNsRt

https://ibb.co/QHSpjns

is a cervelo r3 size 54 2015 an option?

bobinski

by bobinski

Hi Guys,
I am a recent convert to track cycling. I have been riding a 52cm frame at the track but it feels cramped. I want to buy a Dolan pre cursa but getting confused by sising. I ride a scott addict in a medium, previously a giant tcr in a medium, both with 38cm bars and both compacts with sloping top tubes. I am 175cm hright, 76.5 cm inseam. Normally 743mm bb to saddle. Addict bike fit details below. Geometry geeks below too. Dolan suggest a 54 frame, 175 cranks, 10cm stem and 42cm bars. Sound about right?
Thanks in advance for any guidance :)
Attachments
bike fit.png
Capture.PNG

fawnlion

by fawnlion

Hi there, im really struggling with a decision and would really appreciate any help...I'm currently riding a 58cm 2010 R3, which fits me pretty well, I'm not the most flexible so the 18cm headtube works, with a 10cm stem. I have an opportunity to upgrade to a R5 disc and was thinking about just switching straight across to a 58cm. I thought this would work despite the 9mm shorter headtube...Looking at the geometries online im having difficulty reconciling the difference between stack (596mm R5 vs 580mm R3) and stand over height (815mm R5 vs 781mm R3) which are both considerably bigger on the R5 than the R3, also the BB drop is bigger on the R5 (69.5mm vs 68mm). To put it bluntly the stand over height on the R5 would be substantially touching the family jewels and this doesn't seem right...am I better switching to a 56cm frame. For general information I am 6ft with a 31 inch inseam...graced with a long back and short legs 🙄. Any help would be much appreciated...I'm really struggling and it would be an expensive mistake...
Attachments
DFC119F8-6FCE-4119-872F-90C5ABE3D987.jpeg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’d first make sure the listed 2008-2010 R3 geometry is correct.

pmprego

by pmprego

Trying not to open a new thread in the road section. I was today on the phone with a bike shop owner/bikefitter and in his opinion stack does not matter and it's all about head tube length. I don't see how one can matter and the other not. For me they are really, really connected (actually, the connection point is the head tube angle). Am I missing something? Can please someone educate me on this?

garbageman

by garbageman

I'd probably avoid his bike fitting services/sizing reccomendations since he doesn't seem to have a solid understanding of geometry.
Stack is affected by fork length, bottom bracket drop, and head tube angle in combination with head tube length. On road race bikes, fork length can vary by 10mm or more. BB drop tends to be in the range of 68-74mm. Differences in HTA create very small differences in stack (e.g. for a 150mm HT, 71.5 degrees vs 73.5 degrees is 1.6mm difference in stack). The range of these values (fork length, BB drop, HTA) is even larger when you compare different types of of road bikes (endurance, gravel, cross, etc). For example, a Specialized Diverge with a 116mm HT has a stack of 592mm, but an Allez Sprint with a 120mm HT is only 519mm stack.
Using HT length alone is similar to ignoring reach and using only effective top tube length (but potentially worse); it doesn't tell the whole story.

pmprego

by pmprego

garbageman wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:15 pm
I'd probably avoid his bike fitting services/sizing reccomendations since he doesn't seem to have a solid understanding of geometry.
Stack is affected by fork length, bottom bracket drop, and head tube angle in combination with head tube length. On road race bikes, fork length can vary by 10mm or more. BB drop tends to be in the range of 68-74mm. Differences in HTA create very small differences in stack (e.g. for a 150mm HT, 71.5 degrees vs 73.5 degrees is 1.6mm difference in stack). The range of these values (fork length, BB drop, HTA) is even larger when you compare different types of of road bikes (endurance, gravel, cross, etc). For example, a Specialized Diverge with a 116mm HT has a stack of 592mm, but an Allez Sprint with a 120mm HT is only 519mm stack.
Using HT length alone is similar to ignoring reach and using only effective top tube length (but potentially worse); it doesn't tell the whole story.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

mikedtn

by mikedtn

Hi all,

I'm after some advice regarding a 2021 Emonda I'm looking into. I think I'm between frame sizes, I know I would fit both, but there are caveats with both:

58cm, would need to change cranks and potentially bar width
60cm, worried it may feel a bit of a slug with it being a big frame

I test rode a size 58, which the store said they setup as close as possible to the bike I rode in on (Giant Propel 2019 - Size L), however the demo bike had a 100mm stem fitted and the 58 frame stock comes with 110mm.

I've attached some images of the demo bike I rode, and some geo charts comparing against my current frame. Unfortunately nowhere local has a 60cm to demo for me to try.

I know the seat mast sits really high on the 58 the rode, but it appears most of the Emondas on this forum look the same.

Here are some of my stats:

Height: 6' 2-3" - 189cm
Seat height: 80.7cm

Any help would be greatly apprechiated.

ImageImage

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You've got a ton of setback, saddle height, stem spacers and the bars are tilted up.

Do yourself a favor and get the 60cm or a bike with an endurance geometry.

mikedtn

by mikedtn

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:55 am
You've got a ton of setback, saddle height, stem spacers and the bars are tilted up.

Do yourself a favor and get the 60cm or a bike with an endurance geometry.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't request those bars to be turned up like that, I noticed straight away when I started riding the demo bike and it felt like a mountain bike compared to my Propel. My Propel in Giant size L still has all but one spacer fitted (full length steerer).

When you say a ton of setback do you mean the saddle is far back? As I'm sure that saddle was set forward almost at the 'Max' line, meaning the seatback from the BB line wouldn't be as large as it would be if it was clamped in the centre of the rails.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mikedtn wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:11 am

When you say a ton of setback do you mean the saddle is far back? As I'm sure that saddle was set forward almost at the 'Max' line, meaning the seatback from the BB line wouldn't be as large as it would be if it was clamped in the centre of the rails.

Your setback is the result of the saddle height vs STA.

Weber

by Weber

Hello there,

I am a new shimano road disc user.

What method do they use to accommodate the sti? Do you use any cm from the end of the dropbar?
Last edited by Weber on Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

mikedtn wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:40 am
Hi all,

I'm after some advice regarding a 2021 Emonda I'm looking into. I think I'm between frame sizes, I know I would fit both, but there are caveats with both:
As Tobin said above, looking at the setup, you would be much better on an endurance bike. However, if you really want to ride an Emonda, 60cm will provide a more relaxed fit.
Your inseam places you in 58cm territory, but it seems you won't be able to set up handlebar height properly on such frame. Thus the suggestion to go with 60cm, which will allow to eliminate the ridiculous amount of spacers.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Good day everyone,
I am about to move from an endurance oriented geometry to a more aggressive one.
My height is 178 cm and my inseam is about 81 cm.
The manufacturers size charts would advise a 53 (Orbea) a 54 (Cube). I posted the geometry charts of the frames in question.
Unfortunately, it is a bit difficult to get a proper bikefit due to overbookings. On my current bike I have replaced the default -8° 100 mm with a -16° 110 mm, removed all spacers and am very comfortable in the drops. Is the difference in Reach between these frame sizes that noticeable? As this endurance bike I don’t have the experience yet. Two bike shops have advised getting the orbea in 51 tho.
(I’ve already put down a reservation on the cube in 54 but I’m currently unsure whether it may be too long …)

Thanks ! :)
Attachments
Absolute Measurements
Absolute Measurements
Relative Measurements
Relative Measurements

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com