Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrvague

by mrvague

Hi,

I have massive legs, and a normal torso. This is causing me a big headache trying to find a bike that fits, and I am getting conflicting advise from my LBSs.

My options appears to be:

1. Big bike (XL / 61 / 59" top tube) - pull bike in with shorter stem and saddle forward. Pros, can accommodate the leg length that I need. Cons, bike feels huge!
2. Smaller bike (L / 59 / 27" top tube) - saddle to the max, push bike out with long stem. Pros, bike does not feel huge to me. Cons, very high saddle to fit 82cm pedal to saddle, leads to very aggressive riding position.

Both shops have agreed that an endurance type geometry is needed for me to attain a relatively 'normal' position on bike and not end up super aggressive due to saddle height relative to torso length.

I would hugely appreciate advise from you all to whether to go smaller and extend, or go larger and pull in. I am looking at buying either a 2017 Roubaix, Domain, and also considering the Canyon Endurance.

My dimensions are:

Height: 191 cm / 6'2"
Inseam: 99 cm / 39"
Weight: 76kg / 12st
Torso: 63 cm / 25"
Shoulder Width: 41 cm / 16"
Arm Length: 73 cm / 29"

Many thanks!

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

I'm also 6'2" (150lbs) and I ride with a saddle height of 81.5cm from top of saddle to center of bottom bracket. I ride a 2015 Felt F3x 57cm (fits like a 58cm) that has a stack of 587mm and a reach of 400mm. (http://2015.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Bikes/Cross/FX-Series/f3x.aspx)

I'm running a 110mm slammed stem with a pair of bars with a long reach (3T Aeronova) giving me a very aggressive position.

I didn't have trouble finding a bike to fit me because I'm quite flexible and like an aggressive position. In fact a lot of the bikes I tried were too tall at the front for me to be happy with them.

If I were you and didn't want an overly aggressive position I'd get a L/58cm endurance bike that has a sufficiently tall stack for you and run a normal/longer stem/bars setup. It will give you a stiffer, more nimble bike than a larger frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antonio07

by antonio07

I'm 5'10'' - 1.78 meters height and have a inseam of 33.5inches 85.5cm

I ride with a 76cm saddle height

I'm looking at a Scott Foil 2017, Tarmac

I'm in doubt if I should use 54 M or 56 Large

I tried the Tarmac 54 and really the seat tube is almost at the limit, very high aggressive position.
Some people say 54 other 56 and I never know.

thank for the help.

Alex2012

by Alex2012

Delete
Last edited by Alex2012 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jemima

by jemima

antonio07 wrote:I'm 5'10'' - 1.78 meters height and have a inseam of 33.5inches 85.5cm

I ride with a 76cm saddle height

I'm looking at a Scott Foil 2017, Tarmac

I'm in doubt if I should use 54 M or 56 Large

I tried the Tarmac 54 and really the seat tube is almost at the limit, very high aggressive position.
Some people say 54 other 56 and I never know.

thank for the help.

I'm 5'9.5" with 33.7". Those two bikes are very long. The Foil very low. You must have long arms?
Curve Grovel ti.

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

Does anyone know if Canyon fits "large" compared to other brands? I'm 5'7" and generally inbetween size 52 and 54 but I usually go with the smaller size 52cm. According to Canyon PPS, I'm a XS for the endurace. The geometry numbers sound like XS would make me kinda bunched up, but S might be too big especially considering Canyon minimum saddle heights due to their VCLS seat posts. Seems like such a finicky brand to fit on if you're not perfectly made for each size....

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

If I go from a frame with a 55.5cm reach that was a little big for me (seat to far forward) to a frame with a 53.5cm reach should I keep the same stem 120mm -17 stem? or go up to a 130mm? I am 5.9 with a 31.5ish inseam. My old bike was slammed with a 140mm headtube, new bike has a 120mm headtube.

Kurets

by Kurets

Provided you want the same saddle to bar reach you should first figure out your correct saddle position with the new frame and then place your bars accordingly. Keeping the same stem and having 2cm less frame reach would obviously mean that the saddle moves 2cm rearward to maintain the saddle to bar reach. However, if your saddle moves any less backwards wrt the BB then you need to get ablonger stem. A lower headtune will also increase effective reach if you decide that you also must ride slammed on this frame.

pfnsht

by pfnsht

Hi guys,

I'm 178cm tall with a 83.5cm inseam

I'm looking around at frames and think I need a 56cm as I'm currently running 54cm PX RT58 and RT80 frames which are feeling a bit small following a bike fit and I had a niggle they were too small before hand, but my height does fit in their "suggested" range. It was suggested a 56 would be better come upgrade time and that I'm at the top end for the current frame size. Partly looking for collective agreement before I splash the cash here too.

One of the options is a CAAD12 or even another PX RT80 but a change would be nice. I'm considering swapping the RT58 for a cyclocross or something with discs for winter - I've been offered a 56cm Canyon Inflite? I'm limited to what I can find in the sales /ebay to be honest!

Cheers for the steer!

Thanks,

silvalis

by silvalis

I'm also 178 with an inseam close to yours. I'm in between sizes so ended up on a 55cm bianchi.

Did you get a computerised fit - retul, etc, something with X-Y coordinates?
Chasse patate

pfnsht

by pfnsht

silvalis - I didn't get a retul - too $$ for me at the mo - I had a bike fitter/trainer fit the bike with a geometer and some videoing. He doesn't sell any bikes or components and that was one of the factors that attracted me to him.

My current fit has required an increase in saddle height to 74cm from centre crank to bottom of the saddle to get the 30 degree knee angle and I have had to move the saddle back from centre by 1cm to gain more room. This seat change has still kept me within the right range for the knee but I'm guessing it would probably be better if I didn't have to offset the seat. He also recommended an increase in stem from 10 to 11cm to get that extra room too.

The drop from seat to bars is 11cm and my saddle tip to the hoods is now 73.5cm (up from 72.5cm due to seat re-position).

I do feel i could stretch out further so agree with the 11cm stem. I don't currently have the flexibility to reduce the height of the stem any further and need to work on my core.

As my 54cm frame is in pretty good condition I'm happy to sell it rather than let it get used and abused. It's done around 2000 miles.

nefarious

by nefarious

I'm really hoping somebody could help me understand in practical terms what the changes to reach & stack on the green & blue bikes will have in comparison to the red which I know is comfortable to me.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 8.00.32 PM.png

andytan

by andytan

Hi Guys, I just ordered the canyon ultimate slx 8.0 disc in size S (https://www.canyon.com/en/road/ultimate ... c-8-0.html). My height is 175cm, inseam 78cm ( short legs)
:). My saddle height on my current bike is 71.5cm. Will I have enough saddle to bar drop height if I use size S ? or should I just get it in XS? thx before :)

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

andytan wrote:Hi Guys, I just ordered the canyon ultimate slx 8.0 disc in size S

My wife is 165, 66cm saddle (top of middle section to BB center) and rides an S endurace (XS was out of stock and didn't want to wait). The saddle and bars are almost level but it has at least 2cm of spacers. I guess on an Ultimate, added your higher saddle, there will be enough drop as not to look/feel too relaxed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bliquid

by Bliquid

jimmerjohn123 wrote:Does anyone know if Canyon fits "large" compared to other brands? I'm 5'7" and generally inbetween size 52 and 54 but I usually go with the smaller size 52cm. According to Canyon PPS, I'm a XS for the endurace. The geometry numbers sound like XS would make me kinda bunched up, but S might be too big especially considering Canyon minimum saddle heights due to their VCLS seat posts. Seems like such a finicky brand to fit on if you're not perfectly made for each size....

In short: no

For reference, in case it's of any help:
I have a 2015 Ultimate in a Small. I'm 175cm and could probably also ride a medium.
A friend is 178cm, he has 2 Ultimates and an Endurace and also takes a small in all of them, although he'd be at the very top end for that size, I'd say.

You probably wouldn't sit on a Small and think 'wow this is huge' at all but based on my experience the XS sounds about right for your height. I know at least a dozen people that ride a Canyon and none of them have ever ended up with the wrong frame size when using the guide on their website.