Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sooni

by sooni

edit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

FilmAt11 wrote:@istigatrice - Are you calculating stack/reach to the center of the bar? You should use frame-only stack/reach for comparing frames, then you'll find many frames that fit this range.

No I want frame only stack and reach. I got fitted to a 57cm track frame, and I can't believe how much more comfortable that was! Most of my roadies were 52-53cm so I was curious to see if this comfort translates to the road as well. Only problem is finding a road frame with stack and reach values close to a track frame.

I think a Fuji SST, Specialized Allez Sprint, Felt F series in a 56 *almost* fits the bill... Just need a 120-130mm stem.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

jemima

by jemima

istigatrice wrote:So I'm looking for a frame with around ~407 of reach and 533-553mm of stack, with a sloping top tube (more aggressive slope = better). I've trawled through a fair few catalogues and couldn't find anything like this, and I don't really want to use a 140mm stem... (Will be using 120mm for 407mm of reach and slammed 17 degrees for 553mm of stack). Thanks in advance!

I do know that Storck make long frame geo bikes.

Just checked their site. There's a couple of roadbike models there with stack 552 and reach 403.

Not sure if you can get Storck in Oz.
Curve Grovel ti.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Thanks Jemima, exactly what I'm looking for!

EDIT: Also found that the Fuji Gran Fondo Classico in a small would have the desired stack and reach... but the HT angle is really slack. Not sure if they made a typo on the stack and reach figures because I wouldn't consider the XS and S to be 'fondo' geometry.

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

jemima

by jemima

istigatrice wrote:Thanks Jemima, exactly what I'm looking for!

EDIT: Also found that the Fuji Gran Fondo Classico in a small would have the desired stack and reach... but the HT angle is really slack. Not sure if they made a typo on the stack and reach figures because I wouldn't consider the XS and S to be 'fondo' geometry.

Yeah, not exactly a race bike angle.

Those Storck frames are crazy expensive. Looks like you can get them in Oz (Syd?).
Curve Grovel ti.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

thought I saw competitive cyclist clearing out the scenero G3 but I mixed up the 57 with the 55, so back to square one.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

istigatrice wrote:So I'm looking for a frame with around ~407 of reach and 533-553mm of stack, with a sloping top tube (more aggressive slope = better). I've trawled through a fair few catalogues and couldn't find anything like this, and I don't really want to use a 140mm stem... (Will be using 120mm for 407mm of reach and slammed 17 degrees for 553mm of stack). Thanks in advance!

Very little in my database (of 12,104 frame sizes excluding Storck as I still haven't got around to importing their data) that is a road bike rather than a Track or TT bike.
Cipo RB1000 XL http://www.mcipollini.com/en/biciclette/rb1000 -
Kemo KE-R1 58 I calculated the reach as 408 with stack of 546 http://www.kemobikes.com/en/bikes/road/ke_r1-3309

The first run of Cielo Road Racers had a 406,552 in the L, but they've changed the geo now.

How fussy about reach are you? I searched for between 405 and 410

istigatrice

by istigatrice

not 'super' fussy with reach, especially if it's a more affordable frame (just me experimenting with fit - less drop and more reach). The SST and Felt frames "only" have around 395mm of reach. I should be able to get away with a 130mm stem or perhaps just longer reach bars.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Get some 3T Aeronovas and you'll only need a 90mm stem...

Lowering the reach target brings in a bunch of other options.
Wiawis have a couple - Assassin and Liberty 53 - 401,540
Fitwell Alex DeGroot M 400,540
Trek Domane Classics Edition 56 400,540
Madone H1 56 400,546

An old Soloist Alloy 56 397,550

and a few others, but excel crashed.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

3T Aeronovas don't come narrow enough. Would like 36cm width max. Longest reach bar I can find is the Zipp SL-80

jemima

by jemima

Chasing a frameset/bike with rather a tall stack height for its reach:-

Stack 59.1mm
Reach 37.7mm

Either alu or carbon would be fine.

Anything close to those numbers out there?
Curve Grovel ti.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

jemima wrote:Chasing a frameset/bike with rather a tall stack height for its reach:-

Stack 59.1mm
Reach 37.7mm

Either alu or carbon would be fine.

Anything close to those numbers out there?

Domane 56?
Official cafe stop tester

kidrob

by kidrob

hellohello,
I am in need of a stem and handlebar for my current Hongfu FM-006 project.
My recent bike is a 2014 Canyon Ultimate AL.

Canyon (XL, size 60)
Stack 619
Reach 393
Spacer 25
Stem 110
WCS Evocurve bar

Hongfu FM-006 (size 58)
Stack 579
Reach 398

Ofc a more aggressive position would be great and comes naturally with the new frame, but can anyone recommend stem length and Spacer height (maybe also handlebars)? I am a very beginner in this, so all help would be appreciated.

milesthedog

by milesthedog

jemima wrote:

I do know that Storck make long frame geo bikes.

Just checked their site. There's a couple of roadbike models there with stack 552 and reach 403.

Not sure if you can get Storck in Oz.

just posted a question about long reach, low stack. this helps. thanks!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Trying to wrap my head around this.

Have suffered T5-6 pain on the bike for a long time and through several bike fits, ride my tarmac disc with a 110 stem and 10mm spacers and 155mm Power saddle, pain after an hour tops. My allez slammed on a 120mm stem and a 143mm Old shape Romin saddle for 2 hours + and no issues. Same bars and shoes but the allez I'm sitting more on top of the BB with the STA etc. I also find it easier to sit on the allez wth shoulders relaxed not hunched, arms bent etc and can happily punch along in the drops for km after km. This goes against basically everything previous fits have tried to do to my position. Have also noticed that having the hoods pointed in on the Allez slightly makes hand positioning easier too. The Romin saddle has always been a favourite bar the long nose, will ride it for a while longer then throw a 143mm Power or Stealth on the Allez to see what happens, hopefully the same comfort without thigh rub.

Also, any of the more savy folk able to work out what stem puts the Tarmac bars into the same ballpark as the Allez?

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com