Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nateners

by nateners

pmprego wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:19 pm
Sorry but... can someone give the guy a bikefit? He's in another continent so it's hard for me to do it.
Hey pmprego,
I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I hope this helps. This L39ION SL7 appears to be a 56 cm. I scaled the image and came up with pretty close measurements.
Attachments
SL7_56cm.jpg

pmprego

by pmprego

nateners wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:31 pm
pmprego wrote:
Sorry but... can someone give the guy a bikefit? He's in another continent so it's hard for me to do it.
Hey pmprego,
I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I hope this helps. This L39ION SL7 appears to be a 56 cm. I scaled the image and came up with pretty close measurements.
The stem is indeed very long but why chose such a long stem and then significantly uprotate the hoods. Just put the hoods onits normal position and pick a 10mm shorter stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nateners

by nateners

pmprego wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm
nateners wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Hey pmprego,
The stem is indeed very long but why chose such a long stem and then significantly uprotate the hoods. Just put the hoods onits normal position and pick a 10mm shorter stem.
Interesting point. Maybe it has to do with the particular angle desired from the hoods. It does seem like that angle would cause wrist pain though so :noidea:

nateners

by nateners

pmprego wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm
nateners wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Hey pmprego,
ALSO. I'm pretty sure that's a -12 degree stem so I am EVEN more confused now.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Maybe, just maybe he doesn't tilt the hoods up to shorten reach but just prefers that angle.

nateners

by nateners

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:24 am
Maybe, just maybe he doesn't tilt the hoods up to shorten reach but just prefers that angle.
You're right. Goes to show everyone is different in what works for them.

gsnake

by gsnake

hi guys,

I am 175 cm, 84 inseam. For years used Cannondale Supersix Evo 52 cm (73cm saddle height, 25 mm spacer, 120 mm stem). I did ride 54 cm frame a few times (with a shorter stem and did not feel much difference). Now if I get Specialized Tarmac SL6 what size would be preferrable? 52 or 54 cm? I am guessing if I go 52 I will have to really put quite a bit of spacers (which is probably not good). thanks..

TurttleButtocks

by TurttleButtocks

Hello all!

I'm looking for a modern race bike that can have 890mm seatheight total (seat tube + seatpost - minimum insertion of seatpost)

So far the ones I found are: BMC Roadmachine 01, Canyon Aeroad and Endurace, Giant Propel Advanced (?)

I don't want the Canyon, after the issues we saw this year. And I'm not sure about the Giant if it can really have 890mm. For now only option left is BMC Roadmachine, but it is not in stock.

Does anyone here know any other bike that can have 890mm seat height?

Abaddon

by Abaddon

Hello all,

I am very new to the cycling world. I was on the orbea website and used their size tool and it said I should use a size 53 on the Orca Aero. I am 72in tall with an inseam that is 32.5-33in. Is that correct as I have been told their sizes are a bit different I have been told that I should be a 56-58 in most other brands (today a 56 was recommended for me on a Pinnarello Prince). Having these three different sizes to to me is very confusing.

There is also a 54 S-Works Aethos - Dura Ace Di2 that is absolutely beautiful but am assuming would be way too small...unfortunately it is the only size they have.

Please help me unravel this confusing mystery, Thank you
Abaddon

r_mutt

by r_mutt

istigatrice wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:49 am
r_mutt wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:13 pm
I'm looking at a used Pinarello Montello Track frame from 2011 and the geometry is so different than a traditional road bike I'm having trouble sizing one.
I usually fit 51/52 sized road bikes with 530-ish TT
For a track bike you should try a 550ish TT, remember there are no shifters to hold onto so you need a slightly longer reach to compensate (usually). Also the events are a lot shorter so you'd also want to be more aggressive in your fit. Stack is harder to talk about because you're 'almost surely' in the drops, so the taller stack of a larger frame is sometimes helpful.

BTW, the "530" size on your geometry chart is the smallest size I would recommend. Any smaller and you may run into issues with match sprinting events. If you're an enduro you may get away with smaller but you'll have less manuverability at low speeds due to the short front centre (risk of toe overlap).

Hope that helps! I know it's an older post but wanted to share nonetheless in case it's relevant for others.
Hey-

Thanks for this info. This makes a lot of sense - especially about the reach to the shifters

r_mutt

by r_mutt

gsnake wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:25 am
hi guys,

I am 175 cm, 84 inseam. For years used Cannondale Supersix Evo 52 cm (73cm saddle height, 25 mm spacer, 120 mm stem). I did ride 54 cm frame a few times (with a shorter stem and did not feel much difference). Now if I get Specialized Tarmac SL6 what size would be preferrable? 52 or 54 cm? I am guessing if I go 52 I will have to really put quite a bit of spacers (which is probably not good). thanks..
without seeing you, I'd say a 54. 52 is too small for you unless you need that crazy-pro drop and an achey neck

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Abaddon wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:07 pm
Hello all,

I am very new to the cycling world. I was on the orbea website and used their size tool and it said I should use a size 53 on the Orca Aero. I am 72in tall with an inseam that is 32.5-33in. Is that correct as I have been told their sizes are a bit different I have been told that I should be a 56-58 in most other brands (today a 56 was recommended for me on a Pinnarello Prince). Having these three different sizes to to me is very confusing.

There is also a 54 S-Works Aethos - Dura Ace Di2 that is absolutely beautiful but am assuming would be way too small...unfortunately it is the only size they have.

Please help me unravel this confusing mystery, Thank you
Abaddon
On the Orca, you are a 55/57. a 53 would be similar to a specialized 54 which is too small. You would be a 56 or a 58 on that bike. again- this is rough and without seeing you is a guess.

Fredonabike

by Fredonabike

Got a CAAD10, size 60. I want to buy a Giant TCR, they only have size L. If I look at measurements, the TCR's reach and stack isent too different from the CAAD10. Nor do I have much seatpost sticking out on the CAAD10. Thoughts?
I do find the reach on the CAAD10 maybe a tad long- often find myself sliding further forwards on the saddle. I'm rather flexible

My specs
Height: 193
Inseam: 94
Torso: Short, I have kinda long head and neck. Long arms

LongRideX

by LongRideX

I've tried my best to fit in a Canyon Ultimate, size M. 179 tall, 84 inseam, 60 torso. Thing is I feel very stretched and after a 40 km or so, I start getting pain here and there, trying different setups. I'm using all spacers, does anybody think removing them would help at all? I supposed it wouldn't as that would increase reach, but who knows.

I've ordered a S but I'm not sure if it will suit me either... because of the low stack (546mm vs 567mm the M) and narrower cockpit (39cm, vs 41cm size M). So yeah choosing a bike that you can't test and compare in your LBS is complicated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LongRideX wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:27 pm
I've tried my best to fit in a Canyon Ultimate, size M. 179 tall, 84 inseam, 60 torso. Thing is I feel very stretched and after a 40 km or so, I start getting pain here and there, trying different setups. I'm using all spacers, does anybody think removing them would help at all? I supposed it wouldn't as that would increase reach, but who knows.

I've ordered a S but I'm not sure if it will suit me either... because of the low stack (546mm vs 567mm the M) and narrower cockpit (39cm, vs 41cm size M). So yeah choosing a bike that you can't test and compare in your LBS is complicated.

Get an Endurace or Caledonia or...