Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Weber wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:11 pm
Anyone can tell me if 182-183 cm tall and 83 cm inseam is an average or short leg?
I would say a bit below average, not much.
But that is good in terms of bike fit, its much easier to fit on a bike with shorther leg length.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

forklifter

by forklifter

ShApeBE wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:33 pm
forklifter wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:46 pm
Hello all,

I come to Germany and have a fitting question for you. I have very long legs and a short torso. I am 181cm tall and my inside leg length is 90cm.

Currently I ride a Cervelo S3 in 56 with 0mm offset post and 90mm stem. The saddle is very far forward on the post.

Now I want to switch to disc brake. I had only the Cervelo Caledonia in mind, however, the Geometry is almost identical to the S3. And since I have a shorter stem mounted and the saddle far forward, I think about whether that is optimal at all.

I have also looked at other models such as the Trek Domane, Canyon Endurace and Basso Astra.

Are there any experiences here with similar body dimensions?

Thanks in advance.
I was in the run for those bikes aswell. The caledonia 5 was a little bit too agressive but the integration with the spacers would be ok. In the end I went with the endurace cf sl with sram force when it was available 1 month ago. It was around €2000 euro cheaper and the test ride with the Caledonia 5, di2 was not as good, as I thaught it would be.I prefer sram after the testride and the internal cables isnt really worth the price hike
Its more than stiff enough and over the flemish roads it is a very nice bike to ride.( i just fly over cobbles now).
I am 183cm with 91cm inseam. If you have more questions ask away. I have 1 5mm spacer under the integrated stem and that headset top cap. Seat height is 801mm and 9cm of handlebardrop.
Thank you for your reply.

What were your concerns when test driving the Caledonia?

The Endurace I had also ordered, since it was just available. What size do you ride? I ordered size L and that's way too big. I literally lie on the bike. Since I would have to make massive changes.

Why do you prefer the SRAM AXS? Even if the Shimano is not wireless, I have more confidence in the functionality of the circuit somehow.

ShApeBE

by ShApeBE

forklifter wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:01 am
ShApeBE wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:33 pm
forklifter wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:46 pm
Hello all,

I come to Germany and have a fitting question for you. I have very long legs and a short torso. I am 181cm tall and my inside leg length is 90cm.

Currently I ride a Cervelo S3 in 56 with 0mm offset post and 90mm stem. The saddle is very far forward on the post.

Now I want to switch to disc brake. I had only the Cervelo Caledonia in mind, however, the Geometry is almost identical to the S3. And since I have a shorter stem mounted and the saddle far forward, I think about whether that is optimal at all.

I have also looked at other models such as the Trek Domane, Canyon Endurace and Basso Astra.

Are there any experiences here with similar body dimensions?

Thanks in advance.
I was in the run for those bikes aswell. The caledonia 5 was a little bit too agressive but the integration with the spacers would be ok. In the end I went with the endurace cf sl with sram force when it was available 1 month ago. It was around €2000 euro cheaper and the test ride with the Caledonia 5, di2 was not as good, as I thaught it would be.I prefer sram after the testride and the internal cables isnt really worth the price hike
Its more than stiff enough and over the flemish roads it is a very nice bike to ride.( i just fly over cobbles now).
I am 183cm with 91cm inseam. If you have more questions ask away. I have 1 5mm spacer under the integrated stem and that headset top cap. Seat height is 801mm and 9cm of handlebardrop.
Thank you for your reply.

What were your concerns when test driving the Caledonia?

The Endurace I had also ordered, since it was just available. What size do you ride? I ordered size L and that's way too big. I literally lie on the bike. Since I would have to make massive changes.

Why do you prefer the SRAM AXS? Even if the Shimano is not wireless, I have more confidence in the functionality of the circuit somehow.
1) I had no concerns riding the Caledonia 5, I just don't think it's €2000 better than the Canyon Endurace.
2) I ordered L , its the perfect fit, I still have to hop in with the bikefitter and see what needs to be changed/adapted to the bike. I think my position is almost the same as my old bike, which had already a bikefit. I'm in good shape and can easily reach my toe,s. I have no complaints on +- 4h bike rides which I have done until this point with the new bike.
3) I prefer sram axs for the easier shifting, on the testride i had some troubles up/down shifting with di2 (where to put my finger, which finger to use best), I do think Shimano is a bit more reliable. A lot of people said that Di2 is much faster, I dont really feel a difference to be honest.
4)My point about the internal bike cables is not about shimano not being fully wireless. But internal cables on the caledonia 5 look nicer, but again not €2000 nicer. To change the stem on the Caledonia 5 you need to disconnect the brake hoses aswell.

But If you find the Endurace L too long I think the reach of the caledonia 56 is just 2mm shorter. The handlebar of the endurace is even flared back a little bit aswell.

Weber

by Weber

In my last bikefit the bike has saddle front to handlebar 570mm and the saddle front to bb 71mm.
In the new bike i have to put my saddle all forward to achive this with a 120mm stem.

To have the saddle in a more neutral position should I wear a smaller size of bike?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Weber wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:45 am
In my last bikefit the bike has saddle front to handlebar 570mm and the saddle front to bb 71mm.
In the new bike i have to put my saddle all forward to achive this with a 120mm stem.

To have the saddle in a more neutral position should I wear a smaller size of bike?

No zero setback seatpost option?

Weber

by Weber

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:09 am
Weber wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:45 am

No zero setback seatpost option?
giant adv i just rotate the rail seat and clamp so i guess i'm around +5mm offset

paulpongco

by paulpongco

I have the 2020 Venge at size 56. I was professionally fitted with the current configuration at 100mm -6 deg stem and zero spacers under the stem (except for the required upper and lower transition caps which I think would be adding roughly 15mm).

I am considering getting an Aethos and am on the fence if I should stick with 56 or size down to a 54.

Comparing Stack and Reach
Venge 56: Stack 555 Reach 398
Aethos 54: Stack 544 Reach 384 (11mm lower and 14mm shorter)
Aethos 56: Stack 565 Reach 395 (10mm higher and 3mm shorter)

My height is 182.6cm and inseam of 86.6.

Based on the stack and reach, it seems that I can make the Aethos 54 with 110mm stem and 10mm spacer (or 20mm if I take the transition caps into consideration). Is it that simple to map or am I missing anything?

My seat post height in the venge is 71cm so this can be accommodated by the Aethos 54.

Appreciate feedback.

Thanks.

Tarmacian

by Tarmacian

That's funny I have a simular question:

I am 184cm and currently have a Venge 58cm with a 9cm stem, 20mm spacers (inl transition caps) and my saddle is at 795mm. I am considering an Aethos and am unsure between 56cm and 58cm.

In terms of stack, the 58cm is better. Then I have 15/20mm spacers but I have to keep riding with a 9cm stem. I'd rather be 1cm shorter, but I don't think that's recommended. (And it looks silly on a 58cm ;-)

In terms of reach, the 56cm would fit better, I can sit a little shorter with a 9cm stem, which is desirable. In that case I will need all the spacers that are alowed (35mm).

My seatpost does stick out a lot because of the sloping frame (291mm exposed on a 56cm).

What would you recommend? 56cm with max spacers and 10cm stem or 58 with 20mm spacers and 9cm stem?

Thanks for your insights

- Tarmacian

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Tarmacian wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:40 am
That's funny I have a simular question:

I am 184cm and currently have a Venge 58cm with a 9cm stem, 20mm spacers (inl transition caps) and my saddle is at 795mm. I am considering an Aethos and am unsure between 56cm and 58cm.

In terms of stack, the 58cm is better. Then I have 15/20mm spacers but I have to keep riding with a 9cm stem. I'd rather be 1cm shorter, but I don't think that's recommended. (And it looks silly on a 58cm ;-)

In terms of reach, the 56cm would fit better, I can sit a little shorter with a 9cm stem, which is desirable. In that case I will need all the spacers that are alowed (35mm).

My seatpost does stick out a lot because of the sloping frame (291mm exposed on a 56cm).

What would you recommend? 56cm with max spacers and 10cm stem or 58 with 20mm spacers and 9cm stem?

Thanks for your insights

- Tarmacian

You'd be able to ride a size L Canyon Endurace CF SL with 5-10mm in spacers and a 100mm stem. Just saying.

Another option would be a size L Open M.IND with ~25mm in spacers and a 100-110mm stem

peezy

by peezy

I need an unbias opinion on a bike fit question, hoping you can help!

Current Rig, 55cm, 140mm stem, straight seatpost

I have a 55cm Van Dessel Motivus Maximus that I was fit on and I'm extremely comfortable on. I have a straight seat post and a 140mm stem on it and it's perfect. I'm eying up purchasing the Velobuild 177, but I'm torn between the L and XL. The reach and stack numbers are better on the XL, but I've never ridden an XL bike. The "problem" is that they don't offer a 130 or 140mm internal stem. After some more research, it seems the 120mm stem is actually a 130mm, which makes me hit the reach number on the XL spot on.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/van- ... 7-2021-xl/
https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geomet ... 0017f7cdfa,

VD MM
Reach: 393
Stack: 565
Seat Tube C-T: 550

Velobuild 177 XL
Reach: 10mm Longer
Stack: 11mm Higher
Seat Tube C-T: 20mm Shorter

Velobuild 177 L
Reach: 2mm Longer
Stack: 9mm Lower
Seat Tube C-T: 40mm Shorter

Can anyone lend some suggestions with some sort of expertise? I think I can "fit" on both of these bikes, and it seems like the XL may be a better fit. The stack is so close, so I don't see any benefit in riding a "smaller" frame to get lower.

Thank you!

the jackel

by the jackel

peezy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:10 pm

VD MM
Reach: 393
Stack: 565
Seat Tube C-T: 550

Velobuild 177 XL
Reach: 10mm Longer
Stack: 11mm Higher
Seat Tube C-T: 20mm Shorter

Velobuild 177 L
Reach: 2mm Longer
Stack: 9mm Lower
Seat Tube C-T: 40mm Shorter

Can anyone lend some suggestions with some sort of expertise? I think I can "fit" on both of these bikes, and it seems like the XL may be a better fit. The stack is so close, so I don't see any benefit in riding a "smaller" frame to get lower.

Thank you!
I know it's not what you are asking but if you got the large is the seatpost long enough given the seat tube is 40mm shorter than your current bike?

Personally I'd go for the large and look at different options for the stem/bars to give you the reach your need. A 10mm spacer makes you almost spot on to your current bike where as the XL will always have you in a slightly less racey position ( which may not be a bad thing depending on your goals).

osw000

by osw000

paulpongco wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 am
I have the 2020 Venge at size 56. I was professionally fitted with the current configuration at 100mm -6 deg stem and zero spacers under the stem (except for the required upper and lower transition caps which I think would be adding roughly 15mm).

I am considering getting an Aethos and am on the fence if I should stick with 56 or size down to a 54.

Comparing Stack and Reach
Venge 56: Stack 555 Reach 398
Aethos 54: Stack 544 Reach 384 (11mm lower and 14mm shorter)
Aethos 56: Stack 565 Reach 395 (10mm higher and 3mm shorter)

My height is 182.6cm and inseam of 86.6.

Based on the stack and reach, it seems that I can make the Aethos 54 with 110mm stem and 10mm spacer (or 20mm if I take the transition caps into consideration). Is it that simple to map or am I missing anything?

My seat post height in the venge is 71cm so this can be accommodated by the Aethos 54.

Appreciate feedback.

Thanks.
If you have been fitted properly, and measured the seat height correctly, with a such a low 71cm seat height for your height, I would say that either because of poor flexibility or extreme seatback you will be ok with an smaller size.

peezy

by peezy

the jackel wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 am
I know it's not what you are asking but if you got the large is the seatpost long enough given the seat tube is 40mm shorter than your current bike?

Personally I'd go for the large and look at different options for the stem/bars to give you the reach your need. A 10mm spacer makes you almost spot on to your current bike where as the XL will always have you in a slightly less racey position ( which may not be a bad thing depending on your goals).
Thanks for the reply, it is an uncut Thomson so I think I would be fine with the post. Good point about the less racey position, I wouldn't mind it being only 10mm difference than what I currently have as I plan to use it as more of a training/race bike instead of a full out race bike, but something to consider!

I've had luck finding other internal routed stems, but they all seem to be -17 or so, which makes me think it would fit better on the XL. Man this is tough!

the jackel

by the jackel

Didn't realise the 177 had a 27.2 post, thought it would be proprietary hence why you might have an issue.

Seems to me this is an easy choice, the XL seems perfect. The numbers are certainly not typical for an XL but they meet your needs which is all that matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toshi

by toshi

I'm currently on a 51cm Ritchey Road Logic (geo), and going to a 52cm Factor o2 (geo):
  • • Stack is identical across these bikes, but the Factor has 11mm less reach.
  • • The Ritchey has a 74.5° STA, the Factor = 73° STA.
:?: On the Ritchey, I run a 120mm stem. Would I run a 130mm stem (same angle) on the Factor o2, after adjusting for saddle setback? Thanks!
Last edited by toshi on Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.