Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kmanchester

by kmanchester

Already posted in the Cannondale thread but:

Can any Supersix Evo owners give me some help on sizing (2016 models)?

I'm 5' 11" (180 cm) with a 33.4" inseam (85 cm).

I used to ride a PX with a 57 cm top tube and 11 cm stem which felt slightly too big and I was too stretched out.

Do I get a 54 or 56 Supersix?

My bikes were unfortunately stolen so I have no point of reference for saddle height/drop other than that I ride with a fairly large drop to handlebars and I'm reasonably flexible.

petereps

by petereps

kmanchester wrote:Already posted in the Cannondale thread but:

Can any Supersix Evo owners give me some help on sizing (2016 models)?

I'm 5' 11" (180 cm) with a 33.4" inseam (85 cm).

I used to ride a PX with a 57 cm top tube and 11 cm stem which felt slightly too big and I was too stretched out.

Do I get a 54 or 56 Supersix?

My bikes were unfortunately stolen so I have no point of reference for saddle height/drop other than that I ride with a fairly large drop to handlebars and I'm reasonably flexible.

I'd go with a 54. I'm only 5'9", but have a ~84.5cm inseam so I'm running a 54 with 75.5cm saddle height, and a 100mm stem. I'm sure your seat height is similar. The drop is manageable, and it would probably fit you great with a 130mm stem. Always better to size down rather than up if you're in between IMO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JKFF

by JKFF

Hi everyone, I would like to have some advice about bike fit and geometry. I'm currently riding a size 56 Cervelo R5 with a 130mm 6deg stem without spacers. I find that I can't get enough saddle setback because of my long femurs, even with a 25mm setback post. The reach and bar height was ok, and the bike was comfortable 99% of the time. There are still some end of season sales going on and I'm looking at the Tarmac Expert and some used bikes. I dislike the tall head tubes on most big bikes, so I'm considering a 58cm Tarmac and a 60cm H1 Madone.

My height: 185cm Cycling inseam: ~91cm

What do you guys think?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm about your dimensions. I studied the Tarmac and Emonda geometries pretty closely before I got the Emonda and think you're right on the money with a 58 Tarmac or a 60 H1 Trek. I actually went with an H2 60 Emonda which is a tad high at the front but thought the H1, with a 3cm lower headtube might be too aggressive for me. My 61 Traditional C59 is smack in the middle of the H1/H2 geometries headtube wise but has exactly the same top tube length (586mm) and seat tube angle (72.75 vs 72.8), so very comparable. The Trek BB is 2mm higher at 68mm BB drop versus the 70mm BB drop of my Colnago's. I ride both the Colnago's and the Trek with a 130mm stem.
Caveat to all that is that everyone is different and even though two people might be pretty much the same size, individual preferences come into play as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fa63

by fa63

Cervelo has a 73 degree seat tube angle. A Tarmac in size 58 also has a 73 degree STA, so you will also struggle to get enough setback there. The 60 cm Madone is slacker but forces you to use a seatmast with 20 mm setback if I recall correctly, which negates the benefit.

By the way, have you thought about getting a FSA seatpost with 32 mm setback?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes but he's only on a 56 Cervelo currently. So maybe he's just a little too scrunched up due to the top tube length, even though the seattube angles are similar. Hard to say. Everyone is different. But right about the fixed setback of 20mm with the Trek. Possibly try raising the saddle while moving it forward a bit simultaneously.
Ouch... I knew there's a reason I normally avoid fit threads. May have started down a rabbit hole here.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

JKFF

by JKFF

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! @fa63 I've tried to get a seat post with 32mm of setback, but I haven't found it in any of the local stores. Apparently, the store employees thought I was crazy for even asking. @Calnago Good observation with the fixed 20mm setback, I didn't even notice that one. I've definitely realized that the bike is probably too small.

Is there any other way to get more setback? It seems like all bikes have around a 73deg seat tube angle. I am not a great climber and more setback seems to help me better engage the hamstrings. At the same time, it shifts my CoG back so I don't feel like I'm going to go over the bars when braking hard.

The Cervelo feels nimble and responsive but I prefer a bit more stability that a longer wheelbase would provide. Just to give some more information, I usually ride solo, but I go on group rides too once in a while. I enjoy holding a steady pace on the flats, and upwards gradients are avoided whenever possible ;).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Are you sure your saddle is high enough? Raising it while simultaneously moving it forward may very well get you to the position you need with the same relationship of your knee to spindle etc. Buy if your saddle is simply too low, it's definitely possible to think you need more setback. Adjusting either height or fore/aft independently will not accomplish what you need, except leave you scratching your head. What is your saddle height and setback currently?

JKFF

by JKFF

Calnago wrote:Are you sure your saddle is high enough? Raising it while simultaneously moving it forward may very well get you to the position you need with the same relationship of your knee to spindle etc. Buy if your saddle is simply too low, it's definitely possible to think you need more setback. Adjusting either height or fore/aft independently will not accomplish what you need, except leave you scratching your head. What is your saddle height and setback currently?

Setback is as far back as the rails allow, a little past the marked limit. The saddle height is correct, because even adding a 3 millimeters or so will cause my hips to 'rock' side to side on the saddle. I have also been professionally fitted to the bike, so I really doubt that it is wrong. The fitter did mention that the bike was small, but I couldn't get the bar height and drop I wanted on a 58cm R5 (2014 model with the higher head tube). My wingspan is 191cm, so it's really not that aggressive of a fit.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If you move it up, while simultaneously moving it forward it creates a pivoting effect. Without bashing your "professional fit", why don't you try it. And by "setback" I'm referring to the distance in millimeters that the tip of your saddle is behind a vertical line through the BB. Nothing to do with where your seatclamo is on the rails, or offset, which is the 20mm, or 15mm or whatever it is that your clamp is offset from the seatpost. The terms are often confused.

JKFF

by JKFF

Calnago wrote:If you move it up, while simultaneously moving it forward it creates a pivoting effect. Without bashing your "professional fit", why don't you try it. And by "setback" I'm referring to the distance in millimeters that the tip of your saddle is behind a vertical line through the BB. Nothing to do with where your seatclamo is on the rails, or offset, which is the 20mm, or 15mm or whatever it is that your clamp is offset from the seatpost. The terms are often confused.

Hey, I wouldn't be here if I was that happy with the "professional fit" :wink: I'm currently away from home so I unfortunately can't measure the setback. However, I remember my saddle tip to center of bars being around 60cm with a 8cm drop. Some quick trigonometry and I get a number of 7.3cm for setback, but this is obviously not 100% accurate. I used to have my saddle much more forwards (by at least 3-4cm), but I hated the way it handled and progressively moved it back. So that's been tried already. :D

fa63

by fa63

JKFF wrote:Thanks for the quick replies everyone! @fa63 I've tried to get a seat post with 32mm of setback, but I haven't found it in any of the local stores. Apparently, the store employees thought I was crazy for even asking.

Can't you buy one online? Here is a link:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... lsrc=aw.ds

There is also the Nitto S84 with 37 mm setback, but it is made of steel and not fit for WW :D

JKFF wrote:Is there any other way to get more setback? It seems like all bikes have around a 73deg seat tube angle. I am not a great climber and more setback seems to help me better engage the hamstrings. At the same time, it shifts my CoG back so I don't feel like I'm going to go over the bars when braking hard.

Short of going for a custom frame, it will be hard to find a stock 58 cm frame with a 72 degree STA, which is what you would need to move the saddle back about 1 cm compared to a 73 deg STA.

JKFF

by JKFF

fa63 wrote:
JKFF wrote:Thanks for the quick replies everyone! @fa63 I've tried to get a seat post with 32mm of setback, but I haven't found it in any of the local stores. Apparently, the store employees thought I was crazy for even asking.

Can't you buy one online? Here is a link:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... lsrc=aw.ds

There is also the Nitto S84 with 37 mm setback, but it is made of steel and not fit for WW :D

JKFF wrote:Is there any other way to get more setback? It seems like all bikes have around a 73deg seat tube angle. I am not a great climber and more setback seems to help me better engage the hamstrings. At the same time, it shifts my CoG back so I don't feel like I'm going to go over the bars when braking hard.

Short of going for a custom frame, it will be hard to find a stock 58 cm frame with a 72 degree STA, which is what you would need to move the saddle back about 1 cm compared to a 73 deg STA.

Wonderful! Both colors are out of stock in 32mm. :roll:

fa63

by fa63

When I go to that link, it shows the black seatpost in 27.2 mm as being in stock? Maybe it is a geographical thing (I am in the US).

JKFF

by JKFF

fa63 wrote:When I go to that link, it shows the black seatpost in 27.2 mm as being in stock? Maybe it is a geographical thing (I am in the US).

Ah, my mistake. I clicked on 31.6mm instead of 27.2mm. Sounds like everyone here wants to spare me the opportunity of getting a new ride! :D I could give that post a try, but there's already a joke going around my local club about how my bike is all stem and seatpost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com