Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

groover08

by groover08

Hello everyone. I would greatly appreciate your wisdom on my for next bike. My details are height 183cm, torso 152cm, inseam 91 cm, 86kg, good flexibility but not wanting an extreme position.

I’m currently on a Colnago C64 54s (stack 583mm, reach 385mm), with a 110mm stem. The fit feels pretty great, but the bike feels a little small. I have a bit too much toe overlap for my liking.

I’m looking at a Factor Ostro for my next bike. I sent Factor my body measurements and they have recommended a size 56 (stack 565mm, reach 392mm), with a 110mm stem. I think that is too small, because I’m going to need too many spacers for a tolerable amount of drop. Also, the toe overlap might be even worse than what it is on my C64.

What do you think of a Factor Ostro in size 58 (stack 587mm, reach 401mm) but with a 100mm stem? This places me in a slightly more streamlined position than my C64, with a nice amount of adjustment up/down via spacers. It appears to be a good solution.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this question of “sizing up the frame” and shortening the stem to 100mm.

Thanking you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I don't think toe overlap is always a sign of a too small frame. Also size 58 with 100mm stem is quite unusual - I am not sure about the handling.
Without seeing you I would also say that size 56 seems about right. I am 183cm with 88cm inseam, and ride a road bike with 564/393 stack/reach and a gravel bike with 573/386 s/r, both with 120mm stems and no spacers under the stem (only 15mm top cap) . Both are very comfortable to ride - I've finished some ultramarathons on the gravel bike.

Maybe it's just that Ostro has too aggressive geometry for your intended use? With 91cm inseam the saddle to bars drop will be indeed huge, but it's what you usually want in an aero bike.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

groover08

by groover08

Thank you for your detailed reply.

dsk28

by dsk28

I had a bike fit a couple months ago and have been reducing some of my spacers recently when I noticed that my posture looks quite arched on the drops.
Can anybody tell me if this is normal and if not, what is wrong with my fit?
Attachments
pic 1.png

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dsk28 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 am
I had a bike fit a couple months ago and have been reducing some of my spacers recently when I noticed that my posture looks quite arched on the drops.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with that fit, just that it's not very aero. Saddle position looks ballpark to me, maybe a smidge more setback, but that's a personal choice really.

It doesn't look like you have good hip or lower back flexibility, so your double-hinge effect at the saddle is very slight, almost non-existent. If I were a fitter I would probably not try to get you any lower/longer.

dsk28

by dsk28

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:09 am
dsk28 wrote:

I don't see anything inherently wrong with that fit, just that it's not very aero. Saddle position looks ballpark to me, maybe a smidge more setback, but that's a personal choice really.

It doesn't look like you have good hip or lower back flexibility, so your double-hinge effect at the saddle is very slight, almost non-existent. If I were a fitter I would probably not try to get you any lower/longer.
Thanks for the valuable input, Tobin.
How do I get more flexible at the hip or lower back?

My handlebar is recommended at 42cm and I'm using the stock 39cm, would this also affect my posture?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dsk28 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:04 am

My handlebar is recommended at 42cm and I'm using the stock 39cm, would this also affect my posture?

I can't answer the flexibility question for you. As an example, I can't arch my upper back at all no matter how hard I try and I am extremely flexible everywhere else.

As for narrower bars, they can effectively decrease the reach on the bike, so yes that could be one reason why you are more upright on the bike. I hesitate to say you look cramped/constrained on the bike, because that's not what it looks like to me. You just have an upright fit.

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

groover08 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:33 pm
Hello everyone. I would greatly appreciate your wisdom on my for next bike. My details are height 183cm, torso 152cm, inseam 91 cm, 86kg, good flexibility but not wanting an extreme position.

I’m currently on a Colnago C64 54s (stack 583mm, reach 385mm), with a 110mm stem. The fit feels pretty great, but the bike feels a little small. I have a bit too much toe overlap for my liking.
I am riding also a Colnago but it is a V2R. My measurements: Height 1,82cm, inseam 91cm, torso 151 cm. Reach and Stack are on 2mm the same. I would not recomment going larger. You will sit quite stretched with your body dimensions is mine opinion.
I just don't see/experience the problem of toe overlap. My shoe size is EU 47
groover08 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:33 pm
I’m looking at a Factor Ostro for my next bike. I sent Factor my body measurements and they have recommended a size 56 (stack 565mm, reach 392mm), with a 110mm stem. I think that is too small, because I’m going to need too many spacers for a tolerable amount of drop. Also, the toe overlap might be even worse than what it is on my C64.

What do you think of a Factor Ostro in size 58 (stack 587mm, reach 401mm) but with a 100mm stem? This places me in a slightly more streamlined position than my C64, with a nice amount of adjustment up/down via spacers. It appears to be a good solution.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this question of “sizing up the frame” and shortening the stem to 100mm.

Thanking you.
Riding a larger frame with a small stem will make the bike feel more sketchy. The Factor is anyway quite a racy bike with accompanying handling.

treyxt

by treyxt

Height - 195.4cm
Inseam – 90cm
Torso – 68.6cm
Arms – 65.5cm
Shoulder width – 43.3cm
Consider myself to be flexible.

Do you think I could make due on a 58cm frame, or stick with 61cm? (Looking to upgrade to SL7 or somthing similar in the future)
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

61cm

gorkypl

by gorkypl

You've got very short legs for your height, so with long stem 58cm can work. I'm 12cm shorter but have only 2cm shorter inseam and ride frames with 54-56cm seattube. So for you 58cm seattube and long stem could work.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

treyxt

by treyxt

Thanks guys
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

TobinHatesYou wrote:
dsk28 wrote:
.....double-hinge effect at the saddle....
I'm new to road bikes but spent decades on mtb. Also struggling with saddle and positioning.

By double hinge, you mean some hinging at both hip and lower back?

Can this be improved with flexibility training?

Thanks!

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

TobinHatesYou wrote:
dsk28 wrote:
.....double-hinge effect at the saddle....
I'm new to road bikes but spent decades on mtb. Also struggling with saddle and positioning.

By double hinge, you mean some hinging at both hip and lower back?

Can this be improved with flexibility training?

Thanks!

dsk28

by dsk28

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:22 am
dsk28 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:04 am

I can't answer the flexibility question for you. As an example, I can't arch my upper back at all no matter how hard I try and I am extremely flexible everywhere else.

As for narrower bars, they can effectively decrease the reach on the bike, so yes that could be one reason why you are more upright on the bike. I hesitate to say you look cramped/constrained on the bike, because that's not what it looks like to me. You just have an upright fit.

Hi Tobin,

I just did a long couple weeks (by my standards) which includes 5 days of riding per week with some elevations.

Returning from my last fondo ride I had trouble shifting my left brifter due to weak fingers & grip, went to the physio for a checkup and she told me I had tennis elbow.

Just for context i dropped my bar by 2cm from the fitter's original fit. I'm starting to think that this might be the case which is making me put more pressure on my arms.

Is it common for cyclists to get tennis elbow? How much of this goes to me dropping the bar by 2cm lower? (From 4,5 to 6cm)

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com