Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmprego

by pmprego

Eterna7m wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:52 am
Good day everyone,
I am about to move from an endurance oriented geometry to a more aggressive one.
My height is 178 cm and my inseam is about 81 cm.
The manufacturers size charts would advise a 53 (Orbea) a 54 (Cube). I posted the geometry charts of the frames in question.
Unfortunately, it is a bit difficult to get a proper bikefit due to overbookings. On my current bike I have replaced the default -8° 100 mm with a -16° 110 mm, removed all spacers and am very comfortable in the drops. Is the difference in Reach between these frame sizes that noticeable? As this endurance bike I don’t have the experience yet. Two bike shops have advised getting the orbea in 51 tho.
(I’ve already put down a reservation on the cube in 54 but I’m currently unsure whether it may be too long …)

Thanks ! :)
I guess it also depends if you want to slam it (or close to it) or not. On a 51/52 it seems hard for you to be able to slam it. On the contrary, on the smaller sizes you'll probably end up in a longer stem. It depends on your preferences.

One important remark: reach of the handlebars. I don't know the bar reach of any of those bikes.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

pmprego wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:43 am
Eterna7m wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:52 am
Good day everyone,
I am about to move from an endurance oriented geometry to a more aggressive one.
The manufacturers size charts would advise a 53 (Orbea) a 54 (Cube). I posted the geometry charts of the frames in question.
Unfortunately, it is a bit difficult to get a proper bikefit due to overbookings. On my current bike I have replaced the default -8° 100 mm with a -16° 110 mm, removed all spacers and am very comfortable in the drops. Is the difference in Reach between these frame sizes that noticeable? As this endurance bike I don’t have the experience yet. Two bike shops have advised getting the orbea in 51 tho.
(I’ve already put down a reservation on the cube in 54 but I’m currently unsure whether it may be too long …)

Thanks ! :)
I guess it also depends if you want to slam it (or close to it) or not. On a 51/52 it seems hard for you to be able to slam it. On the contrary, on the smaller sizes you'll probably end up in a longer stem. It depends on your preferences.

One important remark: reach of the handlebars. I don't know the bar reach of any of those bikes.
Thanks for your quick reply!
Hm, unfortunately I do not know the details of the bars themselves either. The steam is for both bikes 90 mm for the shorter, 100 mm for the larger frame.
Well, I do not plan to slam the stem 100%, I would prefer having some wiggle room in both directions in the beginning I guess since I am rather flexible and working on improving it aswell. (I also thought it’d be easier to make a smaller frame larger than vice versa.)
There’s this company in Munich that offers remote advise on sizing but I am not sure if that’s actually worth the 80 euros….

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Eterna7m wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:38 pm
If you have done the masurement correctly (like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGUTPmnrRJM) then you have short legs for your height, which means you may theoretically need smaller frame to get a really aggressive position (as your saddle will be lower than average). The point is - do you really want it?
In my opinion, unless you are planning to race time trials, it's usually better to be more comfortable on a bike. Also slammed stem on a bigger frame looks better than heap of spacers on a smaller one.

If the geometries you pasted are correct (I prefer to check with manufacturer's sites) then reach between these frames is similar, but the stack differences are quite substantial. Even 54 is 3cm lower than your current bike - and 52 is 5 cm lower. My guess is that 54 would be better for you, but as usual, a good bikefit will answer this (and many other) question with confidence.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Except it also likely means a long torso. If he has a nice, straight back, he’ll probably need more reach than something like a typical 54cm frame. I am 178cm with an 81.5cm inseam and ride a 56cm with a long -17deg stem.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:38 am
Except it also likely means a long torso. If he has a nice, straight back, he’ll probably need more reach than something like a typical 54cm frame. I am 178cm with an 81.5cm inseam and ride a 56cm with a long -17deg stem.
100% agree - however these 54s aero bikes listed have a reach around typical 56 frame, so this should not be a big issue in this case. But as a general rule - definitely.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

TobinHatesYou wrote:
You are correct, i do have quite the nice back! Thanks :)
Joking aside, i see the points all of you raised and thank everyone for your help.

I might book this online consultation service, but i'm a bit hesitant because I ask myself how they could offer a significantly better response than you? Well they may have 2-3 more parameters and a database at hand...

pmprego

by pmprego

Eterna7m wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:39 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
You are correct, i do have quite the nice back! Thanks :)
Joking aside, i see the points all of you raised and thank everyone for your help.

I might book this online consultation service, but i'm a bit hesitant because I ask myself how they could offer a significantly better response than you? Well they may have 2-3 more parameters and a database at hand...
https://www.bikegeocalc.com/

Fill the geo number on that website and compare bikes. I think you can get a pretty good comparison from there.

ShApeBE

by ShApeBE

Hello Everyone,

After riding competitive up to the U18 category, I stopped cycling because of a small injury, studies and then work.
I started riding again last year because covid, and I refound the pleasure that I used to have when riding a bike.
I went on holiday to Malaucene and took the bike with me. I didn't ride the mont ventoux but some smaller mountain's aroud the big one.
My bike now stil has a 39x25 , 13c rims (mavic kyserium ES), Chorus 10speed. So riding some bigger mountains isn't really an option.
If I want to change some stuff like bigger gearing, I need to change the crank and the rear derailleur.
I live in flanders and want to change tyres aswell, but the frame and the Chorus skeleton rim brakes don't really accept much more than a 25mm tyre.

So I am looking for a new bike. My height is 182cm, inner seam is 91cm, wingspan 188cm. So very long legs, long arms and short upper body.
I went to a bikefitter, but I am not really happy with his work and he doesnt reply to my follow-up questions. (just a basic measurement of my body to try and determine which bike i should go for.)
Bikes that came out best where the Canyon Endurace (large) and Cervelo Caledonia 5(size 56) (want DI2 shifting) .
I went to the canyon exp. center and they said I really shouldn't be riding an endurace, because of the type of riding I still do.
My rides now are +- 60-80km with avg 29-30km/h , and some longer ones trough the well known roads of the flemish spring classics at around 28km/h, and these are still rides where I don't really care about my average speed and just try to ride a route that's in my head and sometimes that means turning around and searching for the right direction.
The advice at the exp. center was to pick a aeroad or ultimate in Large and change the stem to 90mm. But then the aeroad only has +-15mm of stemheight adjustment...

Should I stick with the caledonia 5 or should i go with a more "racier" frame like an aeroad/ orbea orca ... or something that matches that stack/reach/ top tube length?

tristn

by tristn

In my opinion a Large in an Ultimate seems it could be too big? Bodies differ, but I'm a similar height to you and have ridden a Medium in the Ultimate. It wasn't 'perfect' but I wouldn't have wanted to size up

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ShApeBE wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:40 pm

Should I stick with the caledonia 5 or should i go with a more "racier" frame like an aeroad/ orbea orca ... or something that matches that stack/reach/ top tube length?

With your morphology, the Caledonia sounds about right. It’s a pretty racy bike in its own right. You might also consider the R-Series/S-Series.

ShApeBE

by ShApeBE

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:57 am
ShApeBE wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:40 pm

With your morphology, the Caledonia sounds about right. It’s a pretty racy bike in its own right. You might also consider the R-Series/S-Series.
I think I will stick with the Caledonia 5 , the R/S - Seriers , are now gone from the website too...
And I kind of like the idea of the caledonia. Still pretty racy, better sized for my kind of body, and if I really do want to do a strade bianchi kind of parcours I can..

Yesterday I went to a new bikefitter and this is what came out.
So body height 182cm , inner leg length 91cm
Attachments
Advice Roadbike (Medium).jpg

gorkypl

by gorkypl

These values of stack and reach look pretty reasonable to me. There are plenty of bikes that can work for you based on these dimensions, but neither Ultimate nor Aeroad in L are one of them

swat

by swat

Hi guys, need some help. I recently bought a new Pinarello Dogma F in size 550 which has a stack of 561.6 and reach 388.8. It came with a 120mm stem and a 400mm handlebar. I am 183cm tall with 88.9 inseam length. Was wondering if I could get away with fewer spacers on this bike? I currently ride a Colnago C64 in 54s size and a custom Sarto. Earlier I had Venge in size 56 with about 40mm spacers. I am flexible enough to touch the ground with my fingers and after a racy position since this bike won't be used for long rides. Any suggestions on the spacers or overall headtube length I should keep?

A few more data points -

1. Sternum notch - 149.8cm
2. Arm length - 63.5cm
3. Weight - 75kg
4. Inseam - 88.9cm

Thanks

gorkypl

by gorkypl

560 stack is quite low for 89 inseam, so you will either have super aggressive position or something like 3cm of spacers. One size bigger would probably work better, unless you have flexibility and core strength of pro racers.

swat

by swat

gorkypl wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:47 am
560 stack is quite low for 89 inseam, so you will either have super aggressive position or something like 3cm of spacers. One size bigger would probably work better, unless you have flexibility and core strength of pro racers.
Thanks, have about 40mm spacers on it with about 14cm drop from the saddle. Have had couple of rides around 2 hours each, so far so good. Let’s see if it does become painful. My core strength is not bad thanks to the planks but nowhere close to the pros for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com