Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Djinni

by Djinni

Size and weight of the frame and fork?

Dingleberry

by Dingleberry

syncmaster wrote:Very nice. Did you ask HongFu to add those decals? Or did you not have a choice?

I specifically asked for them. My last frame was just matte carbon, and pretty much all of this build will be black, so wanted a little bit of detail rather than just another blank frame - I think it looks quite good!

Djinni wrote:Size and weight of the frame and fork?

It's a 53 by their sizing (53cm ST, 55cm ETT), but won't know the weight until it arrives. Not expecting it (especially the fork) to be quite as light as others though with it having disc brake mounts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I am talking with Cherry from Hong-fu bikes now, about my possible future frame.
I asked them a paint scheme and they draw it for me in moments. I really really liked their service.

Check this, it looks sweet :)

Anyways
I am about to sell my 2009 Tarmac Expert (8r) frame now, and this will be the next most probably.
I will ask the frame with BSA BB, since I am riding on Shimano or maybe with Campagnolo so it will be easier for me. I will not bother with adapters.

Build in my mind is;
Ultegra 6800 groupset (52/36 - 25/11)
Dura-Ace 9000 shifters
KMC X11SL Chain (didn't decide of colors)
Token C28A wheels, 65gr innertubes and Veloflex Corsa 25C
Aliexpress carbon seat (143mm Toupe shaped)
Zipp Service Course SL stem (120mm)
3T Ergonova Pro handlebar (38cm) (I know they don't fit with Zipp. Maybe I will remove the paint)

What you guys think? My Tarmac frame is 1700 gram including hanger, headset and clamp. Which bike will be more exciting to ride?

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Dingleberry wrote:My FM079 is finally on its way! Got them to send me a few photos before shipping:

Interested to hear more about the possible yaw derailleur issue, as I have a Force 22 groupset ready to go...

Please let us know the scale weights when you get the frame. I've been looking at this frame but was never able to obtain a confirmed scale weight from Hongfu. The paint scheme looks good IMO, better than plain gloss/matte.

Marin

by Marin

ToffieBoi wrote:
Build in my mind is;
Dura-Ace 9000 shifters
3T Ergonova Pro handlebar (38cm) (I know they don't fit with Zipp. Maybe I will remove the paint)

What you guys think? My Tarmac frame is 1700 gram including hanger, headset and clamp. Which bike will be more exciting to ride?

This is gonna be sweet, except for the saddle - I have a similar full carbon one, and it's as stiff as floor tile, no flex at all.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Marin wrote:
ToffieBoi wrote:
Build in my mind is;
Dura-Ace 9000 shifters

This is gonna be sweet, except for the saddle - I have a similar full carbon one, and it's as stiff as floor tile, no flex at all.

I have now Romin Evo Expert saddle from specialized but, 270 gram saddle is way too much for a light bike.

I want to try how my body will adapt to that saddle. Maybe with Hincapie or Rapha bibs it will be okay.
Otherwise I will go back to my original saddle. 35 dollars is not expensive and I can sell the saddle for similar amount.

Also gel padding under handlebar tape. For earning 60 grams I took them off but I didn't like the ride. They are going back there as soon as possible.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

Spliid - Did you get this issue resolved with your LBS? What was the result? As I mentioned previously, the Sram Force 22 Yaw FD works fine on my FM069 (BB30). Some of us are curious to hear why your LBS is telling you that it will not work optimally.

spliid wrote:All was set up and I delivered it to my lbs for final setup. I couldn't really fit the front mech and the chain keeper was touching the inner chainring. I just thought I was confused and thought they could set it up. The called me and told me they couldn't set it up optimally. I will have a talk to them tomorrow. Will follow up.

emi

by emi

Need some help!

Pictures:https://www.flickr.com/photos/47798042@N05/sets/72157642816719405/

I am currently building a FM066SL and am now routing break and shifter cables. The frame came with white plastic tubing that sticks out of each end of the internal routing holes on the frame. The tubing is approximatly 2.5 mm thick and the break/shifter cables fit inside them.

MY QUESTION:
Are these white tubes sticking out at each end only helpful tools to get the real cable from hole to hole, then thrown away? Or are they part of the internal routing and should be cut down to size between the plastic end caps/ferrules holders?

Anybody that can confirm one or the other? Any help would be real nice, especially from someone that has built a china carbon racer like mine. Thanks in advance!

dogg

by dogg

just there to aid in getting the cables through the frame.

drewb

by drewb

They are there to help feed the cable through the frame - keep them as they are useful when you want to change cables at a later date.

By the way - I have a size 52 FM066 SL for sale on "the bay" in Australia if anyone is interested. (the fit was wrong for my GF and the very short stem we used could have made it handle very twitchy)

I hope the info above will make up for my pitching of the frame?!?!?

eric

by eric

Brake! Not break dammit.

My 066sl did not come with any plastic tubing. I removed the housing stops on the frame, strung one on the cable and fed it into the frame. I used a spoke (head end) to pick up the brake cable through the hole on the other end. The shifter cables stuck out through the hole left after removing the guide.

The rear brake cable on mine rattled against the frame on bumps. I removed it and wrapped it with some tape.

glepore

by glepore

Glad to see they're including the plastic now, mine came without. I did what eric did. Luckily, no rattles on mine.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

emi

by emi

eric wrote:Brake! Not break dammit.

Well you know us norwegians, falling over drunk on bikes with no breaks. Forgot my vikinghelmet too, so I'm sure my brain will brake. Hohoho, yes foreign languages can be hard but at least I got it 110% correct this time! Call me and we'll catch up on your norwegian! ....just kidding, point taken.

Thank you all for the swift response. This is my first bike build, and the strangest things keep stopping me. And then it's great to have such a fine online community to bother with the little uncertainties :?: :shock:

pf30

by pf30

hi, all
I'm planning to build a bike this year, but now I'm considering about which frame I should take, FM069 or CAAD10?
I'm 180cm tall, 85kg, and use to ride with mountain / hill and some local competitions, is fm069 strong enough to me?

Dingleberry

by Dingleberry

So my FM079 arrived a couple of days ago:

For those that were interested, the 53 ST/55 ETT frame comes in at 1064 grams, and the fork is 440. Whole build weighs just over 8kg.

The finish is really good, I'd say just about perfect - can't find even the slightest defect. Fitting the internal cables was easy with the included straw things (though I didn't have much of a problem with my last frame that didn't have any...). Brakes run full length housing.

Still need to trim the steerer once I've settled on the height, and have a Thomson seatclamp on its way to replace the big chunky thing I had lying around, but having just come back from a 30 mile test ride, I love it! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com