Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
inertianinja
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 pm

by inertianinja

One weird thing about the FM066 so far, for me, is that the rear brake mounting point seems high. I am using 2010 SRAM Red brakes, and on my Fulcrum wheels I have the pads almost at the bottom of their reach.

I just tried it with Farsports 30mm/25mm wide wheels and the rear brake really does not have enough reach. The pads just barely miss the tire. Many frames and I’ve never had this problem. I’m going to try it with some brake pad extenders but this seems weird.

Xywei
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm

by Xywei

inertianinja wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:16 pm
Finally got the bike built and it's rolling nicely.
I thought the polished alloy bits are a nice contrast against the matte carbon, even if they're not the lightest option. Just had fun with this build.

FM-066, Ritchey Classic cockpit, SRAM eTap, SRAM Red 2010 brakes, Fizik Kurve saddle.
I had ordered a BSA frame, but they couldn't deliver on it...so i accepted a BB30 frame and used a Praxis bottom bracket conversion BB.
Current wheels are my old Fulcrum Racing Zero, but those will soon be replaced by some open-mold 30mm carbon wheels that will be wider and lighter.
Almost no problems with the build except that the crappy stock expander plug wouldn't hold enough for me to preload the headset....i used a FSA compression device to do the trick.

If you can see, under the handlebar there's a little button - that's a Flic bluetooth button that I use to control music on my phone while riding. One tap for next track, two taps for previous track, long press to load my cycling playlist.

Image

hm...as i'm looking at this, saddle looks a bit tipped down in this pic; i'll have to take a look at that.
Love the stainless steel, a touch of vintage look!

by Weenie


User avatar
LeDuke
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am
Location: Front Range, CO

by LeDuke

I’ve seen this frame before. Anyone know what it is? The eBay vendor really spruced it up with a nice paint job.

Image

Image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romanmoser
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 8:30 pm

by romanmoser

I saw it too a few months ago
But it was only available as a M size
Geometry was really akward

And super heavy due to the paint I guess

moonoi
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Earth

by moonoi

See that Rolling Stone frame all the time over here, that model is called a Finder. Apparently it has genuine UCI certification too.

A local bike shop here (Peak ProCycling) imports and sells them, interestingly cheaper than you can buy them from Ali or eBay. No idea if they are any good or not, can't imagine riding a bike with rolling stone painted on it in huge letters...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk



bremerradkurier
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 pm

by bremerradkurier

moonoi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:02 pm
See that Rolling Stone frame all the time over here, that model is called a Finder. Apparently it has genuine UCI certification too.

A local bike shop here (Peak ProCycling) imports and sells them, interestingly cheaper than you can buy them from Ali or eBay. No idea if they are any good or not, can't imagine riding a bike with rolling stone painted on it in huge letters...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Boyd Altamont wheels/rims would be a very ironic choice on a Rolling Stone frameset.

inertianinja
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 pm

by inertianinja

moonoi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:02 pm
...can't imagine riding a bike with rolling stone painted on it in huge letters...
It’s weird how just about any decals other than established brand names look wrong and corny.

“Canyon” and “trek” no problem.

If I got decals that said “Valley” or “Journey” it’d be terrible.

robertbb
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by robertbb

inertianinja wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm

It’s weird how just about any decals other than established brand names look wrong and corny.

“Canyon” and “trek” no problem.

If I got decals that said “Valley” or “Journey” it’d be terrible.
:lol:
It's ALL about the bike.

RobertBB's CyclePlanner Spreadsheet:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 8&t=152263

Bluechip
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:04 am

by Bluechip

I've used this "brand" on several of my bulds. It originally came from a bike racing magazine ad from Litespeed. I'm just trying to decide on which open mould frame to buy to use it again.
Attachments
IMG_1324.JPG

inertianinja
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 pm

by inertianinja

robertbb wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:03 am
inertianinja wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm

It’s weird how just about any decals other than established brand names look wrong and corny.

“Canyon” and “trek” no problem.

If I got decals that said “Valley” or “Journey” it’d be terrible.
:lol:

I thought about “cervéLOL” but surely the joke would get old

inertianinja
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 pm

by inertianinja

Bluechip wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:12 am
I've used this "brand" on several of my bulds. It originally came from a bike racing magazine ad from Litespeed. I'm just trying to decide on which open mould frame to buy to use it again.
I like the top tube.

I was seriously considering putting “lol nothing matters” on mine

robertbb
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by robertbb

inertianinja wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:32 am
robertbb wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:03 am
inertianinja wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm

It’s weird how just about any decals other than established brand names look wrong and corny.

“Canyon” and “trek” no problem.

If I got decals that said “Valley” or “Journey” it’d be terrible.
:lol:

I thought about “cervéLOL” but surely the joke would get old
Somehow "Focus" is OK too, whereas "concentrate" might not work.
It's ALL about the bike.

RobertBB's CyclePlanner Spreadsheet:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 8&t=152263

inertianinja
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 pm

by inertianinja

robertbb wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 am
inertianinja wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:32 am
robertbb wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:03 am
inertianinja wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm

It’s weird how just about any decals other than established brand names look wrong and corny.

“Canyon” and “trek” no problem.

If I got decals that said “Valley” or “Journey” it’d be terrible.
:lol:

I thought about “cervéLOL” but surely the joke would get old
Somehow "Focus" is OK too, whereas "concentrate" might not work.

Yep.
“HUFFY” = perfectly acceptable.
“PUFFY” = not cool

I mean wtf

moonoi
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Earth

by moonoi

inertianinja wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm

I thought about “cervéLOL” but surely the joke would get old
Nah, it wouldn't get old, and I'd buy one with that on the downtube :lol:

moonoi
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Earth

by moonoi

inertianinja wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm
moonoi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:02 pm
...can't imagine riding a bike with rolling stone painted on it in huge letters...
It’s weird how just about any decals other than established brand names look wrong and corny.

“Canyon” and “trek” no problem.

If I got decals that said “Valley” or “Journey” it’d be terrible.
The main issue I have with the Rolling Stone brand is it doesn't have Mick Jaggers face plastered on the headtube...then I might be tempted to change my mind :wink:

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post