Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

caverunner17

by caverunner17

Any comments on the Flyxii FR-322 or the HongFu FM-296?

Looking to replace my now dead FR-301 when a RD came off and cracked the chainstay when it got stuck in a spoke.

Looking for something for here in CO for a training bike that I can throw aerobars on for Triathlon days.

Trying to keep it under the $400 USD mark including shipping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saverin

by saverin

I have had an FR-322 for 3/4 of a season now and I've had no issues - though I did come from riding a 15 year old Cannondale frame prior to building up the carbon bike so I didn't have a lot to compare it to. A few things worth mentioning:
  • - rear tire clearance is sufficient for a 25mm Vitoria or Hutchinson on 23mm (external) wide rims, but you have to deflate the tire to install and remove the rear wheel.
    - seat tube was a bit oversized (internal diameter), but wasn't an issue when carbon fibre assembly paste was used.
    - ordering process was smooth - took about 3 weeks to receive the frame and was well packaged.
    - ORDER EXTRA DERAILLEUR HANGERS! I ordered an extra 3 hangers and I don't think a single one is straight. Expect some greif in this area.

d36

by d36

saverin wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:31 pm
I have had an FR-322 for 3/4 of a season now and I've had no issues - though I did come from riding a 15 year old Cannondale frame prior to building up the carbon bike so I didn't have a lot to compare it to. A few things worth mentioning:
  • - rear tire clearance is sufficient for a 25mm Vitoria or Hutchinson on 23mm (external) wide rims, but you have to deflate the tire to install and remove the rear wheel.
    - seat tube was a bit oversized (internal diameter), but wasn't an issue when carbon fibre assembly paste was used.
    - ordering process was smooth - took about 3 weeks to receive the frame and was well packaged.
    - ORDER EXTRA DERAILLEUR HANGERS! I ordered an extra 3 hangers and I don't think a single one is straight. Expect some greif in this area.
+1 for extra hangers

my current one has no thread so doesn't stay on :(

Was waiting for a 'replacement' and a package arrived containing bolts only lol
They really like to mess with me!

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

I got an FM066 from tan tan for around 400ish, weighs 900G

vladoo

by vladoo

Hi,
I read all of the pages and I have 4 favourite frames (xs or size 48).

My nr. 1:
http://c-bicycle.com/44-canyon-ultimate ... meset.html

Is there anybody, who owns this frameset? What about ride quality? I have original Canyon, but wrong size S, in for sale section. I am considering this replica in size XS. Thx for your opinions.

2. Workswell R093

3. HongFu FM 008

http://c-bicycle.com/38-chic111-r5-road ... -fork.html

I prefer low weight (I have got 55 kilos, 168 cm) and comfortable, but stiff frameset. I plan to install Dura Ace 9070 Di2 with Mavic C40 wheels. I was riding Focus Izalco, Cervelo RCA, BH G6, Canyon Ultimate,... I really like Canyon and Cervelo. Thats why I searched for these framesets. But I am not sure if I can compare original one and replica (in feelings from the ride and weight).

Thank You for your help.
Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred. (V. Havel, november 1989)

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

dont buy a fake mold. buy from an OEM manufacturer. i dont get how people dont understand this.

d36

by d36

My 093 95% finished
I bought a new seatpost, bars and some cheap ritchey xc pedals
Bike fit booked for this weekend so it should be all good for a few big rides next week
Hanger still giving me a grief but one of the bigger bolts seems to be holding it in (major pain because I want to use this bike on my trainer + outside)

To get rid of the little bit of visible headset you just need to find a shorter compression ring (this is whats causing it)

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

vladoo wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 pm
Hi,
I read all of the pages and I have 4 favourite frames (xs or size 48).

My nr. 1:
http://c-bicycle.com/44-canyon-ultimate ... meset.html

Is there anybody, who owns this frameset? What about ride quality? I have original Canyon, but wrong size S, in for sale section. I am considering this replica in size XS. Thx for your opinions.

2. Workswell R093

3. HongFu FM 008

http://c-bicycle.com/38-chic111-r5-road ... -fork.html

I prefer low weight (I have got 55 kilos, 168 cm) and comfortable, but stiff frameset. I plan to install Dura Ace 9070 Di2 with Mavic C40 wheels. I was riding Focus Izalco, Cervelo RCA, BH G6, Canyon Ultimate,... I really like Canyon and Cervelo. Thats why I searched for these framesets. But I am not sure if I can compare original one and replica (in feelings from the ride and weight).

Thank You for your help.
Option 1 looks a lot like Velobuild R-066/OG-Evkin CF-025

http://www.velobuild.com/vb-r-066-ultra ... p0085.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 61edBzv5nH

betwo

by betwo

hello, where do you recommend buying a fm-066, 69 or 008?

campy4life

by campy4life

Zweigelt wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:52 pm
My Custom painted Hong Fu FM088 Disc.
Campa SR H11, Enve Seatpost, Deda Superleggera Stem, 3T Superergo Bar, LB RR35U Disc Rims on orange Tune Hubs...
(inspired by the last Album from Esbjörn Svensson Trio "Leucocyte"..)
Looks great. Have you logged enough kms to judge the ride?

Painted by Hong Fu, or you had done locally?

The Tune hubs are nice. Rim manufacturer? Weight of the front and rear wheel? clincher or tubs?

Also considering a similar Campy H11 build ... or maybe etap.

thanks.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Straight replicas. Almost outright fakes. Sad that there is such a huge market for these things. I don't understand it. If you want a Canyon, or Cervelo, or 3T Strada...............buy one. Not something that "looks" like one. and before people start this up again.......these are NOT the same frames just minus decals from the same factories. How can this thread be titled "open Mould?" This kind of stuff is troubling.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

wheelbuilder wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:34 am
If you want a Canyon, or Cervelo, or 3T Strada...............buy one. Not something that "looks" like one.
I'm not a fan of straight-up replicas either, but have you seen the price of 3T Strada frameset? You can build a complete bike that's about two times cheaper than a 3T frameset alone, which will most likely have the same generous tire clearance, accent on 1x and aerodynamics, given that the outer shape is the same. Not everyone can afford a 4k USD frameset, especially outside of the first world, but those people still have a chance to experience a modern bike.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

wheelbuilder wrote:
Straight replicas. Almost outright fakes. Sad that there is such a huge market for these things. I don't understand it. If you want a Canyon, or Cervelo, or 3T Strada...............buy one. Not something that "looks" like one. and before people start this up again.......these are NOT the same frames just minus decals from the same factories. How can this thread be titled "open Mould?" This kind of stuff is troubling.
I would have bought a Canyon frameset for roughly 1200 USD if they were actually sold in the US instead of a similar looking unbranded Chinese frame for 500 USD.

IRideBikes10

by IRideBikes10

Has anyone built that look a like 3T strada frame from VeloBuild? I seem very interested in one of those but I’ve never have a “knockoff” frameset before. What’s the turn around time from VeloBuild? Any help would be appreciated !

Hexsense

by Hexsense

IRideBikes10 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:43 am
Has anyone built that look a like 3T strada frame from VeloBuild? I seem very interested in one of those but I’ve never have a “knockoff” frameset before. What’s the turn around time from VeloBuild? Any help would be appreciated !
If it's a knockoff frameset. Don't buy one. Buy real open mold that have a designer team and brand stand behind it. But i'd think Velobuild is not really a knockoff company.

wheelbuilder wrote:
This thread's title is fine. The thread mostly discuss about Hongfu, Workswell etc. that are not straight replica of something else. It's similar to many bikes and may copy tried and true geometry (which is pretty generic) and some nice design features. Sometime a replica frame were talked about here and there like an off-topic things, but sometime those mentioned are also not a replica. Sometime people call it something's clone just because it look similar to one, not because they want the same thing for cheaper price.

When people ask about a fake frame or straight replica, we could just deter them away from those. and keep this thread filled with information for real open mold frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com