Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:44 pm
bremerradkurier wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm
bremerradkurier wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:53 pm
Finally arrived on the weekend-same geometry chart as Velobuild's R066 and definitely inspired by the Canyon Ultimate frameset if not a 1:1 copy.

Seller communication was great. Not clear from their Ali listing, but a headset was included, as was an extra derailleur hanger.

Paint quality and tube insides look good-BB86 dims are within a few hundredths on my digital calipers. Tire clearance is enormous; Conti GP in 25c on a 17mm inner rim had plenty of space and it definitely looks like a 28 would fit if it clears the rim brakes.

In size L, frame weight worked out to 1135 grams (seller shows two figures in their listing-one for 1068 +/- 40 g, and one for 828 +/- 50g), uncut fork 350, uncut seatpost 165.

Given the frame weight, I'm hoping for tank like durability; still down almost 600 grams from a 2006 Ridley alu/carbon stay frame set.

Pictures to follow.

All done-7.68kg as shown. Haven't test ridden yet as we just had a snow storm on the first day of spring.

That stem! No!
Had it on hand and may end up going to an AliExpress integrated unit when I sort out my riding position; at 120 grams for 110mm length, it's only 10 grams more than a Kalloy Uno Stealth w/steel bolts.

While it clashes with the seatpost, IMO it goes well with my other silver components.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

grumpus wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 am
Anyone have a ride review on the Workswell 093? The builds looks really nice so far.
Subjective ride reviews on new bikes just aren't reliable. And I only had one bike before this one (carbon Prorace bike with rim brakes and alloy wheels, 7,6kg).

That said, I can get the r093 to 50kph a lot easier (bigger difference than I expected). And the geometry suits me.

In the end I liked it a lot until I sprinted really hard, when I noticed there was play on the headset and the longer cranks put me off balance a bit. Back to the workshop and maybe looking for 170mm cranks (found a bargain on 175mm cranks, but in hindsight it might've been a mistake). I'll probably take it to the Belgian Ardennes for a proper test.

Nbriles2000

by Nbriles2000

What are the common recommendations for "endurance" style frames? The workswell 93 seems nice, but I'm curious is there is anything else out there that is a little less spendy.

I was originally going to get a canyon endurance, so that might give some idea what kind of bike I'm looking to build

Zweigelt

by Zweigelt

My Custom painted Hong Fu FM088 Disc.
Campa SR H11, Enve Seatpost, Deda Superleggera Stem, 3T Superergo Bar, LB RR35U Disc Rims on orange Tune Hubs...
(inspired by the last Album from Esbjörn Svensson Trio "Leucocyte"..)

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

nice bike, how is the clearance on the disc model? 28mm room?

eecc

by eecc

Is this deal legit? If so, anyone interested in a groupbuy with me?
April Fools Day.jpg

Frazmataz

by Frazmataz

Love the fm088 sweigelt, I've got an fm008 and it's great. I'd also like to know what the clearance the chain stays is? I'm intent on building one later this year.

Zweigelt

by Zweigelt

Frazmataz wrote:Love the fm088 sweigelt, I've got an fm008 and it's great. I'd also like to know what the clearance the chain stays is? I'm intent on building one later this year.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply.
I think 28mm Tires are possible. I measured 5-6mm Space using a 23mm Schwalbe One Pro(25mm on my LB Rims).
My next Tire would be 25mm!

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

Finally got around to weighing my Workswell r-093. Had to fit a new cassette and chain (105 to keep costs down), upper headset (fit issues) and new tires (Corsa Control instead of fragile Corsa) so as expected I took a hit on the weight. Currently it weighs 7,465g plus or minus 15g inaccuracy of my scale. I'll also test other (wider) Chinese saddles (will probably add 50g). Not a featherweight but with mostly budget, secondhand or Chinese parts so I'm pleased :).

A quick backyard picture or two:

kidrob

by kidrob

Ticlimax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:29 pm
Finally got around to weighing my Workswell r-093. Had to fit a new cassette and chain (105 to keep costs down), upper headset (fit issues) and new tires (Corsa Control instead of fragile Corsa) so as expected I took a hit on the weight. Currently it weighs 7,465g plus or minus 15g inaccuracy of my scale. I'll also test other (wider) Chinese saddles (will probably add 50g). Not a featherweight but with mostly budget, secondhand or Chinese parts so I'm pleased :).

A quick backyard picture or two:
Nice! What headset did you use? What about the one that is usually shipped with the frame?
Last edited by kidrob on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@Ticlimax can you make a photo of lower headset bearing from below? The recessed crown section completely exposes a portion bearing seal, I'm concerned this design might lead to easier access for water.

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

Klaster1 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:15 pm
@Ticlimax can you make a photo of lower headset bearing from below? The recessed crown section completely exposes a portion bearing seal, I'm concerned this design might lead to easier access for water.
The lower headset bearing is indeed exposed causing easy access for water and dirt. The photo might not show it, but it is definitely the case.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Go find a suitable sized silicon or viton o-ring, loop it in with loads or marine grease.

It'll be fuss free for a very long time.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I wouldn't be too concerned about your lower headset, it's the same on my Cannondale Super Six Evo High Mod.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

DartanianX wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:41 am
I wouldn't be too concerned about your lower headset, it's the same on my Cannondale Super Six Evo High Mod.
I left the cheap one I got with the bike in there, and I'll see how it fares. If it degrades too quickly, I'll think of something like what maxxevv said to protect the Cane Creek one I have as a spare.