Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

abedfo

by abedfo

jff wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:45 pm
Miller wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 pm
abedfo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:35 am
I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the frame/company in the aliexpress link below. I've googled the companys name but havent found anything and i thought maybe someone has seen the mould elsewhere?
I've kind of fallen in love the with shape of the frame, the paintjob and the price.
Unlikely that anyone will know anything. You're taking a bit of a gamble with these companies. On the other hand if it turns out to be a lemon, your exposure here is only about £400. Up to you!
The company has a good reputation. It's a vendor. The frame actually comes from topcarbon https://www.topcarbontech.com/product/tcgf066/ . The frames that come from topcarbon have a good quality. So I wouldn't call it a gamble, you'll be ok with buying this frame.
thank you so much! thats the information i needed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

treyxt

by treyxt

anyone know of a tt frameset that I could actually fit from one of these companies? 195cm tall...
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

Algreen

by Algreen

codyb37 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:13 am
Algreen wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:05 am
Same situation hunting for a bar and spacer combo that fits with the vbr-99 since I opted not to go with their factory bar for sizing reasons. Chris is communicative, but unwilling to mix and match parts. Finding a bottom spacer that is the right size and shape to mate with their headset and align with an aftermarket bar and allow hidden cables hasn't been easy so far. I'm also looking for shorter reach and narrower 38cm bars. There's some decent options on AliExpress, but all will require some custom spacers/adjustments.

Open to suggestions.
Did you find a solution to this?
Still looking. The Yoeleo h10 would have been perfect, but they are not replenishing my size. This issue is that when you get an integrated bar, you need to make sure the fork steerer race and spacers all match. Not every company selling the bar and spacers includes the steerer tube race.

Algreen

by Algreen

Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:39 am
I wanted to offer an update on the velobuild VB-R-099 I picked up a few months ago.

The bikes was ordered as raw carbon with clear coat but was delivered painted black.
Not a huge issue but not what I wanted.
The axles were also the incorrect lengths for the frame. The front is 15mm too long and the rear is 10mm too short.( yes they are the correct way around )
The frame was also delivered with the wrong size integrated bars which were far too bendy to use ,and honestly didn't feel safe.

After repeated emails to Chris we agreed they would send me a new bar, the HB0011 and I also picked up their new stem which was supposed to be compatible with the 099 frame.

So, yesterday the new bar and stem arrived. The stem was supposed to be 125g but is 175g, the special top cap was missing and there is no way this will fit the frame without gaps all around the spacers and bearing cover. Oh, the bearing cover also doesn't cover the bearing and also isn't compatible with the steerer support which keeps the steerer central in the head tube.
So, that's a fail.
The new integrated bar also doesn't work with the 099 frame as the spacers don't align with the peg and hole system.

So, 5 months and I still can't really use this frame set, and I'm 60 e-mails deep with Chris with no resolution in sight.

They sell untested items and have no cross compatibility with their frame sets. Avoid them unless you are local and can hand pick the items.

I'm going to battle this out but I've asked PayPal to step in as velobuild have little interest is providing the working frameset and the parts are of poor design and quality.
Sorry Steve, that situation stinks. I'm waiting on handlebars to build up my 99. This integrated business really limits your handlebar/stem options and Chris has not been super helpful either. I've otherwise had a positive experience with velobuild and love my 66.

RDY

by RDY

Algreen wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:15 pm
codyb37 wrote:
Algreen wrote:
Same situation hunting for a bar and spacer combo that fits with the vbr-99 since I opted not to go with their factory bar for sizing reasons. Chris is communicative, but unwilling to mix and match parts. Finding a bottom spacer that is the right size and shape to mate with their headset and align with an aftermarket bar and allow hidden cables hasn't been easy so far. I'm also looking for shorter reach and narrower 38cm bars. There's some decent options on AliExpress, but all will require some custom spacers/adjustments.

Open to suggestions.
Still looking. The Yoeleo h10 would have been perfect, but they are not replenishing my size. This issue is that when you get an integrated bar, you need to make sure the fork steerer race and spacers all match. Not every company selling the bar and spacers includes the steerer tube race.
Yoeleo aren't doing any more in your size, or Miracle stopped making them in that size? Isn't the entire Yoeleo range Miracle (and half price)? Or is it only the newest semi-aero models that are Miracle?

Algreen

by Algreen

RDY wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:21 pm
Algreen wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:15 pm
codyb37 wrote:
Algreen wrote:

Open to suggestions.
Yoeleo aren't doing any more in your size, or Miracle stopped making them in that size? Isn't the entire Yoeleo range Miracle (and half price)? Or is it only the newest semi-aero models that are Miracle?
According to yoeleo, they are no longer manufacturing the H10. Can you please link to the Miracle bar? I'm unable to find online.

matcav

by matcav

Miller wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:39 pm
This landed yesterday, it's a size 56 Tantan GR039 in 'chameleon' complete with seatpost (round, 27.2) and one-piece bar and stem (very light). I'm intending building it for both road and light gravel, depending on the tyres. Clearance is listed as being up to 42mm.
How's going with this project?
I've ended up ordering the same frame.

Miller

by Miller

Ok, hope you like it! Did you choose a colour? They pointed me at paint websites, I could have had anything but had choice paralysis and went with the finish I first liked.

Haven't started the build yet, not in a hurry. Beginning to buy a few parts. Will see if I have time over Christmas to do the work.

subparmotive

by subparmotive

Has anyone tried a Chinese steel frame? I have found this one: https://tsunamibicycle.com/product/cr03 ... el-polish/

Their geometry chart seems off, particularily the HT lengths. I found the same frame on Aliexpress with a more accurate looking geo chart. Might make for a nice project, and I am considering ordering one, but there is almost no info on these from the English speaking world. There are a few build videos on youtube and the company seems to be known in Indonesia. Worth a shot?

nowtaps

by nowtaps

They're well known in Indonesia, but mostly for their fixed gear frames. I know a couple of people with raw version of the frames and they look well-built. No complaints from them after a couple of years of riding it hard.

bobones

by bobones

subparmotive wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:55 pm
Has anyone tried a Chinese steel frame? I have found this one: https://tsunamibicycle.com/product/cr03 ... el-polish/

Their geometry chart seems off, particularily the HT lengths. I found the same frame on Aliexpress with a more accurate looking geo chart. Might make for a nice project, and I am considering ordering one, but there is almost no info on these from the English speaking world. There are a few build videos on youtube and the company seems to be known in Indonesia. Worth a shot?
I got a Chinese steel frame from UK Amazon in the spring and built it up with 105 that I had. Not the same as the one you linked to, but it has a similar polished finish, which is really lovely in the flesh. Comes in just shy of 9kg with light wheels and tyres, and I am very happy with it.

ImageImageImage

subparmotive

by subparmotive

bobones wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:21 am
I got a Chinese steel frame from UK Amazon in the spring and built it up with 105 that I had. Not the same as the one you linked to, but it has a similar polished finish, which is really lovely in the flesh. Comes in just shy of 9kg with light wheels and tyres, and I am very happy with it.
Wow that is a great looking build, and 9kg for 105+steel is great!

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Is anyone aware of an aero frame with similar weight / aero to the Seka Exceed (https://cycling100.com/products/carbonf ... black-775g) but with more aggressive geometry?

I'm currently on an FM-066 which has been great, but for my next frame I'd want to go aero/semi-aero. It seems that the Seka is an endurance frame.
14mm higher stack, 7mm shorter reach, slightly slacker head tube / seat tube angles.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Slacker HTA on Seka is not bad. Because it's compensated by more fork offset than FM-066 so the trail value remains 58mm in most sizes. Basically, same handling feel that you expect from 73 degree HTA+43mm fork offset frame.

But shorter reach and higher stack is not my cup of tea.
If I can design a frame size small, It'd have 380mm reach and 519mm stack rather than 371mm reach and 528mm stack. But oh well, 120mm FSA SL-K Drop stem plus Slamthatstem headset cap?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Algreen wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:24 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:39 am
I wanted to offer an update on the velobuild VB-R-099 I picked up a few months ago.

The bikes was ordered as raw carbon with clear coat but was delivered painted black.
Not a huge issue but not what I wanted.
The axles were also the incorrect lengths for the frame. The front is 15mm too long and the rear is 10mm too short.( yes they are the correct way around )
The frame was also delivered with the wrong size integrated bars which were far too bendy to use ,and honestly didn't feel safe.

After repeated emails to Chris we agreed they would send me a new bar, the HB0011 and I also picked up their new stem which was supposed to be compatible with the 099 frame.

So, yesterday the new bar and stem arrived. The stem was supposed to be 125g but is 175g, the special top cap was missing and there is no way this will fit the frame without gaps all around the spacers and bearing cover. Oh, the bearing cover also doesn't cover the bearing and also isn't compatible with the steerer support which keeps the steerer central in the head tube.
So, that's a fail.
The new integrated bar also doesn't work with the 099 frame as the spacers don't align with the peg and hole system.

So, 5 months and I still can't really use this frame set, and I'm 60 e-mails deep with Chris with no resolution in sight.

They sell untested items and have no cross compatibility with their frame sets. Avoid them unless you are local and can hand pick the items.

I'm going to battle this out but I've asked PayPal to step in as velobuild have little interest is providing the working frameset and the parts are of poor design and quality.
Sorry Steve, that situation stinks. I'm waiting on handlebars to build up my 99. This integrated business really limits your handlebar/stem options and Chris has not been super helpful either. I've otherwise had a positive experience with velobuild and love my 66.

A brief update on this.

PayPal supported me and closed the case in my favour. Unfortunately this only covers the money I spent on the stem and postage, not the integrated bar.

I'm not going to bash the frame as I really like it, however, if you're considering a velobuild frame please do your homework yourself a don't rely on the information provided by Chris. The integrated bar system they chose to implement is terrible and really kills the ability to tailor the fit given no other bar or stem will work. It doesn't help they they provided the wrong size bar. (and the new bar doesn't work with their own frame. No cross compatibility)
Its unfortunate as is they'd sent the one I wanted, I'd probably be extremely happy.
Last edited by Steve Curtis on Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.