Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

I use 5-6 Nm and plenty of carbon mounting paste with no issues so far. Generally speaking, the seatpost fitting is a little on the loose side, at least compared to round tubes in regular steel and alloy frames.

seing

by seing

PhilippCX wrote:I use 5-6 Nm and plenty of carbon mounting paste with no issues so far. Generally speaking, the seatpost fitting is a little on the loose side, at least compared to round tubes in regular steel and alloy frames.

'
ok I'try, maybe I had to use more paste, and considered my frame is MATTE 6.0 - 6.5 ?

ps

your headset has this kind of movement ?!
Attachments

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trex021

by trex021

I strongly recommend you use Finish Line Fiber Grip. It has very coarse grit. It will stop your seat post movement with minimum torque.

I had the same problem with my Workswell 066. I used Park Tools Carbon Paste liberally with high torque and it still slipped.

Someone here recommended the Finish Line. It holds at 4.5nm and has never slipped in 1.5 years.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Received a painted Workswell 085 frameset last night.
This is a temporary frame for my wife to see if a smaller bike works better for her (before pulling the trigger on a custom.)
I will set up a separate thread for it.

Edit: Thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141954&p=1268453#p1268453
Last edited by Stolichnaya on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

seing

by seing

trex021 wrote:I strongly recommend you use Finish Line Fiber Grip. It has very coarse grit. It will stop your seat post movement with minimum torque.

I had the same problem with my Workswell 066. I used Park Tools Carbon Paste liberally with high torque and it still slipped.

Someone here recommended the Finish Line. It holds at 4.5nm and has never slipped in 1.5 years.

Thx Trex021, I'll try, (at the moment I've used Carbon Gripper Paste MUC-OFF) but no used plentiful, I'll try to put more ...

NB this morning I received a mail from seller who said Know the problem, and has already solution for my problem...

waiting :beerchug:

nb as regards headset at some turns like mine ? (see photo)

IMPORTANT -
after the communication they know the problem and working for solution received this morning, I've as soon received another mail, that they will sent me the parts when ready ! :up:

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

seing wrote:
trex021 wrote:...

Thx Trex021, I'll try, (at the moment I've used Carbon Gripper Paste MUC-OFF) but no used plentiful, I'll try to put more ...

NB this morning I received a mail from seller who said Know the problem, and has already solution for my problem...

waiting :beerchug:

nb as regards headset at some turns like mine ? (see photo)

IMPORTANT -
after the communication they know the problem and working for solution received this morning, I've as soon received another mail, that they will sent me the parts when ready ! :up:

Regarding the headset, I think the base plate bit is supposed to move with the steer tube. So yours look fine. I received some thin washers which (as far as I can tell) as supposed to be used to adjust the spacing between the top of the upper bearing and the top cap.
Here is a pic of which bits and pieces came with the frame: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/download/file.php?id=62694&mode=view

Btw. the carbon paste I use is called "Dynamic Montagepaste" and I have no idea how coarse of fine it is.

SergeduTemps

by SergeduTemps

Need some help to decide which frame to buy;

Next year I want to start racing again, so looking for a "cheap" frame which I can use for the local crits and some sportives.
Currently between the Workswell 66 (r5) or the Workswell 81 (f8/aeroad).
The 66 is well known and a safe choice, the 81 unknown, but is more aero (marginal gains ftw)

Which one would you choose?

peted76

by peted76

Any non branded CX frames worth looking at?

Exar

by Exar

I have an i-Play 105-D, It's probably sold under loads of names. It's plenty light and stiff, handling in a cross race is fine. In retrospect I should have gotten a BSA version instead of a BB30 version ('BB30 is available a lot quicker' - still took over 2 months...).
Chains to the right!

peted76

by peted76

Exar wrote:I have an i-Play 105-D, It's probably sold under loads of names. It's plenty light and stiff, handling in a cross race is fine. In retrospect I should have gotten a BSA version instead of a BB30 version ('BB30 is available a lot quicker' - still took over 2 months...).

Great thanks :)

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

any reason to go press fit at all if BSA option is available???

Marin

by Marin

PF can be lighter, or if you like the noise

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

but theres no risk they chase the thread incorrectly (misalignment), or anything else like that, right?

would rather not have to put up with the hassle of press fit to save 30g

bikergrove

by bikergrove

Here is my workswell build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eraser501

by eraser501

Its very new (only starting production right now, apparently) so doubt there iwll be a lot of ride reviews.
I tried to email them to find out if the SL was less stiff than the normal (or if the weight difference was entirely due to using a higher spec, hence more expensive, carbon) but havent been able to get a response