Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

subparmotive

by subparmotive

waltthizzney wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:48 am
subparmotive wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:05 am
I just found a post by waltthizzney, where they claim that 28mm fits in their LTK118. Might go with that frame.
I have owned both the FM066 and LTK118.
Did you choose the LTK118 over other frames like the dengfu R01 simply because of the price? Thanks for the info!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

subparmotive wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:20 pm
waltthizzney wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:48 am
subparmotive wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:05 am
I just found a post by waltthizzney, where they claim that 28mm fits in their LTK118. Might go with that frame.
I have owned both the FM066 and LTK118.
Did you choose the LTK118 over other frames like the dengfu R01 simply because of the price? Thanks for the info!

I saw ribble using the mould (2018 Ribble SL), including the UCI team they sponsored so figured it was a solid frame and it had some good reviews on here. The R01 / FM066 is a much older mould. The LTK118 is finished much better.

I have ridden it hard for a year with no issues.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/reviews/ ... eview.html

DDX

by DDX

the jackel wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 pm
Does anyone know of a road specific frame that has mudguard mounts or is my best bet to go for a gravel frame?
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cx-sl-frameset/

Not sure if this is an open mould frameset, or only available via ribble ?

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

subparmotive wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:23 pm
Does anyone have a suggestion for a no-nonsense rim brake frameset (BSA, 27.2, etc.) that can easily clear 28 mm rubber? I'm eying up the VB-077/LTK 118 and Hongfu FM-008 SL, but it looks like they max out at 25 mm.
TBH, I'd be pretty surprised if any open mold rim brake frames were able to clear that much rubber- especially on both sides- I have the VB-068 and there's easily eough space for 28c up front, but out back, I have 25c and the frame is so damn flexy that I'm getting scuff marks on my GP5k sidewalls in 25c- and there's an easy 5mm of clearance on both sides of the tire. I'm honestly getting more and more dissappointed with this frame- getting a '14 Madone frame fom a buddy this weekend so I can build it up and see if I like it better than an Emonda that I had and hated. Between the issues with the saddle rail clamps (which I wrote about on the forum and really rubbed me the wrong way) and the lack of stiffness (and in respect to stiffness, I'm not a strong guy- I'm a Cat 5 novice racer- most watts I've ever even put out was a little under 800w, so it's not like I'm some beast that's really just twisting this frame.

Back to your question- the VB-086 says that it takes 28c tires but I think that has an aero seat-post. TBH, I'd stay away from Velo-Build if for no reason than their customer service is utter trash- I'm not anti-open mold or anything, but I won't give VB any more of my business after my experience with them. Moreover; if I were to look into open mold again, I'd go with a frame that's been around a while with a lot of reviews- not what you were looking for but I'd go with Dengfu and for myself the aero FM-098 or something- the R01 ans R02 both have traditional 27.2mm seat posts but have a listed tire clearance of 25c.
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

you could also spend a litle more and get Yoeleo with direct mount breaks, fits 30mm

https://www.yoeleobike.com/products/car ... d-frameset

bobones

by bobones

Does anyone have any experience of or opinions on the Elves Vanyar?

I am thinking about getting another lightweight rim brake frameset to replace my 8 year old Scott CR1. I've been looking at significantly more expensive options from Time, Look, Giant, Focus, ARC8, etc., but the pretty paint jobs on these have caught my eye, and it wouldn't be too expensive a mistake if I didn't like it. Seems I can get one delivered to UK with all taxes paid for £760 whereas everything else from mainstream is £1.8-£3k+.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

bobones wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:07 pm
Does anyone have any experience of or opinions on the Elves Vanyar?

I am thinking about getting another lightweight rim brake frameset to replace my 8 year old Scott CR1. I've been looking at significantly more expensive options from Time, Look, Giant, Focus, ARC8, etc., but the pretty paint jobs on these have caught my eye, and it wouldn't be too expensive a mistake if I didn't like it. Seems I can get one delivered to UK with all taxes paid for £760 whereas everything else from mainstream is £1.8-£3k+.
Nice frame and color options, but isn't that thing very heavy? 750g for a size 46 (kids size) without "metal parts"..

Surely a size 54 which they refer to as a XXL frame would be a lot heavier than 750

bobones

by bobones

Should still be sub 850g for painted 54 without hanger and seatpost clamp, which is still pretty light in my book.

Edit: I just asked the seller for weight of painted 54 and he came back with 950g, which is a bit disappointing tbh.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:26 am
cheapvega wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:51 pm
Are the Velobuild 099/Yoeleo R6/Ican Aero A9 the same frames?

And can the stiff ride of aero bikes be mitigated at all with bigger tires? Roads here aren't terrible but the shoulders get crunchy, even on my thin tubed weight weenie FM208.
Nope, those frames are all subtly different from one another. All 3 frames are different in the headtube junction, have different fork profiles, use different seatposts, and have different headset spacers. Any one of those frames would work well for a build tho. fatter tires will improve the ride quality somewhat, but at the same time your deep-section wheels and carbon spokes exacerbate the problem a whole lot more than the wider tires are able to mitigate. Overall you're just gonna be sore at the end of the ride. On the contrary, my flexy-spoked berd 23mm shallow wheelset actually does a great job of filtering out smaller vibrations, perhaps berd's marketing wasn't pulling claims out of their ass after all, but then again I haven't tested them either. I like them for the weight and that's all I can decisively recommend them for.
I probably wouldn't go deeper than 50mm on rims.... I am on 38mm now with 25mm tubulars and it's mostly OK but can get a little crunchy over rippled pavement. I'm looking to ditch WW completely for my next build; will be OK with something like 28-30mm tubeless for comfort. Just trying to figure out how much of an impact the deep section tubes and aero seatposts of aero frames make on comfort vs wheel/tire type.

abedfo

by abedfo

Good morning everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the frame/company in the aliexpress link below. I've googled the companys name but havent found anything and i thought maybe someone has seen the mould elsewhere?

I've kind of fallen in love the with shape of the frame, the paintjob and the price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 7000%22%7D

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I wanted to offer an update on the velobuild VB-R-099 I picked up a few months ago.

The bikes was ordered as raw carbon with clear coat but was delivered painted black.
Not a huge issue but not what I wanted.
The axles were also the incorrect lengths for the frame. The front is 15mm too long and the rear is 10mm too short.( yes they are the correct way around )
The frame was also delivered with the wrong size integrated bars which were far too bendy to use ,and honestly didn't feel safe.

After repeated emails to Chris we agreed they would send me a new bar, the HB0011 and I also picked up their new stem which was supposed to be compatible with the 099 frame.

So, yesterday the new bar and stem arrived. The stem was supposed to be 125g but is 175g, the special top cap was missing and there is no way this will fit the frame without gaps all around the spacers and bearing cover. Oh, the bearing cover also doesn't cover the bearing and also isn't compatible with the steerer support which keeps the steerer central in the head tube.
So, that's a fail.
The new integrated bar also doesn't work with the 099 frame as the spacers don't align with the peg and hole system.

So, 5 months and I still can't really use this frame set, and I'm 60 e-mails deep with Chris with no resolution in sight.

They sell untested items and have no cross compatibility with their frame sets. Avoid them unless you are local and can hand pick the items.

I'm going to battle this out but I've asked PayPal to step in as velobuild have little interest is providing the working frameset and the parts are of poor design and quality.

Miller

by Miller

abedfo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:35 am
I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the frame/company in the aliexpress link below. I've googled the companys name but havent found anything and i thought maybe someone has seen the mould elsewhere?
I've kind of fallen in love the with shape of the frame, the paintjob and the price.
Unlikely that anyone will know anything. You're taking a bit of a gamble with these companies. On the other hand if it turns out to be a lemon, your exposure here is only about £400. Up to you!

abedfo

by abedfo

Unlikely that anyone will know anything. You're taking a bit of a gamble with these companies. On the other hand if it turns out to be a lemon, your exposure here is only about £400. Up to you!
[/quote]

I did some better research and the company does a fair few 29er frames. Pictures on ali express via customer reviews look quite good. May live a little and take the punt!

abedfo

by abedfo

Miller wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 pm
abedfo wrote:
I did some more research on ali. The company sell a bunch of 29er mtb frames. The reviews on their and attached pictures look good. I may live a little and take a punt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jff

by jff

Miller wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 pm
abedfo wrote:
The company has a good reputation. It's a vendor. The frame actually comes from topcarbon https://www.topcarbontech.com/product/tcgf066/ . The frames that come from topcarbon have a good quality. So I wouldn't call it a gamble, you'll be ok with buying this frame.