Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BiscuitHarrington

by BiscuitHarrington

Looks great, let us know how it rides!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

jencvo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:05 pm
There it is, the build is complete!
The bike looks great, but what's up with that massive nut above RD?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Wow, I never knew there was an open mold of my frame (Bottecchia T2 doppia corsa). It impresses me a little that a company went in the trouble of copying it, it is a nice bike for sure, but not so well known, like a Pinarello per se or an S-works. Really nice build by the way, hope you enjoy it! :)

silvalis

by silvalis

It's quite possible that it's not a copy - just the factory owned version of the open mold frame.
Chasse patate

Rone69

by Rone69

Hi to all,
I'm happy to introduce you my new chinese bike, it's a Fasterway Classic frame, with Ican FL40 wheelset, yesterday I rode the bike for the first time, I'm so happy, the frame is more reactive and more comfortable than my Fondriest R20, the direct mount are an advantage not trascurable .

Frame:
Fasterway Classic(seatpost included)

Wheelset:
Ican FL40 No Logo

Groupset:
Ultegra R8000 (direct mount brakes)

Handlebar:

Stem:

Bottlecages:

Saddle:
Selle Italia Superflow lL3

Pedals:
Time X-Pro10

speed cadence sensor:
Sigma R2Duo

Smartphone Mount:
DIY

Weight 7,0kg (without bottles and smartphone)

Last edited by Rone69 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Rone69 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 pm

You should attach images to the post, current URLs are visible only for users authorized on a third party forum.

ergott

by ergott

user edited
Last edited by ergott on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ergott

by ergott

User edited

seaneT1

by seaneT1

silvalis wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:26 pm
It's quite possible that it's not a copy - just the factory owned version of the open mold frame.
Well mine was handmade in Italy, had plenty of photos and videos of the process while it was happening, but I guess they could have also bought the mold from them after.

Rone69

by Rone69

I've edited the post and changed the links, now how does it works?

jencvo

by jencvo

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:03 am
jencvo wrote:
The bike looks great, but what's up with that massive nut above RD?
Ha about that... I didn't realize this bike had integrated derailleur hanger and actually needed a Shimano-type thru axle nut on the rear axle (I didn't buy the axles from the manufacturer, went for a lighter version). So in order to go for a test ride, I had to get something that'd fit in. had to fit 12*1.5 axle but be smaller than 19mm in external diameter. A car wheel nut from Autozone fit so I used that for a test ride.... Clearly a bodge. Got a proper part in mail today, but hey, who could have waited another week before a test ride?!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I'm tired of Chinese open mold for now. Maybe i'll revisit later but not likely any time soon.

My journey of Chinese carbon fiber frameset started good with Workswell 081, good build quality but the bike handle slowly in corner due to long trail value in my bike size (slack headtube angle and insufficient fork offset). Workswell have habits of making bike with slack headtube angle and keep the same fork as larger size on smaller bike.
Then I have another frame that have more beautiful paint job and handle a little better ( head tube angle=72 degree, so not as slack) with Hongfu Avenger R8 (white color). This bike feel a bit stiffer than Workswell. It unfortunately have very poor tire clearance in the back. Unable to fit Vittoria Corsa G+ 25c on wide rim. Continental 25c generally have about 1mm of clearance left and right. It absolutely can not accept 28c tire. It's incredible that Workswell managed to make bike with 395mm chainstay length and narrow bb (pf30, 68mm wide) that (unofficially) fit 28-30c tire but Hongfu Avenger R8 with 410mm chainstay length plus wide bb (bb86, 86mm wide) can't accept Vittoria Corsa G+ 25c tire ( on wide rim).

Finally, with requirement of fitting bigger tire, must have dropped rear stay (aesthetic preference) and having good trail value on my (small) size. I went for Velobuild's "2019 Velobuild design carbon fiber road frame disc version" -- my first disc brake bike. I was a bit skeptical with the unusually low price but go with it anyway as my first two gamble with Chinese frameset turns out good so i take another riskier chance. This bike has some sub optimal lower build quality than Workswell and Hongfu here and there all over the bike (including having mold release thing left in bottom bracket, some uneven surface, void on carbon fork layup etc. ). But for the price i thought i can live with it. Only three problems are especially bad:
1.) Flat mount tab of the frame aren't align well to disc rotor, i need to file flat mount area to make it straight.
2.) Again issue with flat mount tab, but on the fork. One of the bolt thread is weird, it require a lot of force to turn the bolt and create squaky sound when i tighten it up. It also heat up a lot when i slowly force mounting bolt in. I think the thread may be just a tiny bit undersized.
3.) Rear wheel do not mount straight, it slightly tilt toward right chainstay near bb. I contacted Chris at Velobuild and he suggest to file drop out to make it sit straight. I did not do so because i don't like the idea of removing carbon material in such an important area. A week pass I noticed some weird line near right rear drop out. Two or three months pass the line grows significantly bigger. It is a noticeable step when run my finger through it. I can also shine flash light through the line which means it's not a paint crank but rather an actual crack of carbon near rear right drop out. I email Chis and this time he only ask for more picture and finally turn silence once i submit it... I then stop using it fearing it would break down when i ride with other people.

So, i now riding Specialized Allez Sprint Disc. It is heavier than any of the Chinese carbon fiber frameset that i've tried. But it just works and actually ticks all the requirements above. Stiff, handle good in corner (not having long trail value on small size), have dropped rear stay, fit very big tires. Not looking forward to replace frameset anytime soon.

trex021

by trex021

jencvo wrote:
I really like the look of the frame. How is the quality?
Did you weight it?
Did they do the paint for you?
How much for the paint job?

Rone69

by Rone69

I just did one short ride, 59km +850, 3 climbs, the frame is responsive, stiff enough, not harsh, more responsive and more comfortable than my old Fondriest R20, the frame is very very confortable, filtering very well the road imperfection, but it's stiff, I'm heavy (too much) and I don't feel any flexion by the frame.
I think that many people understimate the value of the direct mount brakes, they improve significantly the brake performace, I ride my new bike with Ultregra BR8010 and my old bike with Ultegra BR8000, same wheelset and same brake pads and the difference between the two brakes sistem is real.
I can't say anything yet about the descendig quality, maybe next week.
I paid $525, paint, shipping costs, tax, all included.
The frame is 914gr in 54 size (with cable liner), and fork isn't cutted yet
The tyre clearance is generous, I think the frame can fit 30/31mm tyres
Attachments
20181113_190612.jpg
20181113_190648.jpg
20181113_190700.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rone69

by Rone69

Today 2nd ride with the new bike, I can confirm all I've writed and I can add that this frame have a good descending quality.

First snow of 18/19 winter