Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Algreen

by Algreen

Delete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Algreen

by Algreen

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:10 pm
Looks great! Basically the same bike I'm building, 45mm light bicycle wheels, ultegra 1x. I'm, considering these bars and routing the cables internally.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100500 ... 3416%22%7D

bet609

by bet609

very nice bike! may i ask how much was the frame and paint job?
tigradekat wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:30 pm
This week I received my Workswell 268 disc frameset, having ordered it end FEB. Fit and finish are good to excellent. The build specs:

Workswell WCB-R-268 disc frame
Workswell WHB-027 ingegrated Aero handle bar
Ultegra Di2
DA crank (52/36 - 175mm)
XTR 140mm rotors
XTR 12 speed chain
Fizik Vento Argo R1
Hand built wheelset: 50mm carbon rims, 22mm internal with, 29mm outer width, DTSwiss 350 straight pull, Pillar Wing spokes and alu nipples, 1580 grams for the set
Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tires
DA pedals
Ciclovation bar tape

Weight: 7.72KG as pictured. Not bad in my eyes. I kind of expected 8+ kilos with te custom paint. I did ditch the standard Tru axles and compression plug and replaced them with lighter versions, which saved a total of 156 grams.

It's hard to photograph the accent color as it's a very deep chameleon purple. It mostly trurns out black in pictures when overcast.

All in all it was a project that took longer than expected, but I really wanted to have a go at building my own bike from scratch. The end result is more than worth the wait in my opinion.

RDY

by RDY

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:14 pm
RDY wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:03 pm
It looks like the HB010 does have split spacers ...
The pic I looked at they're the same as mine - solid, but the other pics do appear to be split.
As I somewhat suspected ... Probably they sometimes run out of the split ones, and solid ones are a cheap quick order.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

RDY wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:01 am
Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:14 pm
RDY wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:03 pm
It looks like the HB010 does have split spacers ...
The pic I looked at they're the same as mine - solid, but the other pics do appear to be split.
As I somewhat suspected ... Probably they sometimes run out of the split ones, and solid ones are a cheap quick order.
Yeah, annoying but I'm talking to them at the moment to try and get a different bar. The thing I have feels like I could snap it with my hands.
I'm still waiting on the other headset parts so I'm confident I can make this work.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

A bit of an update on the 099.

I'm waiting on my RED AXS components but thought I'd build the frame with Force cx1, just to get a feel of the fit and see what else needs to be changed.
Need to lower the bars and probably run with no spacers but I want to see if that makes the bends too tight for the cables entering the headset. Hopefully removing the need for a gear cable will mean it's ok.

The 1st ride was an undulating 35 mile loop, nothing too taxing but I improved two of my previous KOM times. The roads were absolutely terrible so the extra rubber width has done the trick and I'm not so concerned about smashing a front rim at high speed.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:43 pm
A bit of an update on the 099.

I'm waiting on my RED AXS components but thought I'd build the frame with Force cx1, just to get a feel of the fit and see what else needs to be changed.
Need to lower the bars and probably run with no spacers but I want to see if that makes the bends too tight for the cables entering the headset. Hopefully removing the need for a gear cable will mean it's ok.

The 1st ride was an undulating 35 mile loop, nothing too taxing but I improved two of my previous KOM times. The roads were absolutely terrible so the extra rubber width has done the trick and I'm not so concerned about smashing a front rim at high speed.

Thanks for the update!

How were the bars on an actual ride? Any noticable flex or cause for concern?

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

[/quote]

Thanks for the update!

[/quote]

The bars are utter garbage. They creak a lot and visibly twist when in the drops just riding along.
I didn't do any sprinting or steep climbs but I want them off the bike ASAP.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:24 pm
Thanks for the update!

[/quote]

The bars are utter garbage. They creak a lot and visibly twist when in the drops just riding along.
[/quote]

I'm tempted to see if they can ship mine without a bar and refund some of the money that I'd put towards something else. The question is what the replace it with that would also allow a fully integrated, hidden cable approach.

**EDIT**
Chris has confirmed that they will ship my order this Friday, and that if I do not want the bar he is happy to refund me cost of the bar.

So...do I proceed with the HB011 bar, or do I ship without and look for an alternative?

Can anyone recommend a good, fully integrated/hidden cable bar (most likely off AliX) that is going to work with the VB-R-168? I've got until Thursday this week to decide :)

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

OlieSimpson wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:06 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:24 pm
Thanks for the update!

[/quote]

I'm tempted to see if they can ship mine without a bar and refund some of the money that I'd put towards something else. The question is what the replace it with that would also allow a fully integrated, hidden cable approach.

**EDIT**
Chris has confirmed that they will ship my order this Friday, and that if I do not want the bar he is happy to refund me cost of the bar.

So...do I proceed with the HB011 bar, or do I ship without and look for an alternative?

Can anyone recommend a good, fully integrated/hidden cable bar (most likely off AliX) that is going to work with the VB-R-168? I've got until Thursday this week to decide :)
[/quote]
Hmm, not sure if they're hidden cable bars, but I know there are Black Inc clones on AliX as well as Deda Alanera clones- they both look pretty dope and cost under $150 each. I know the Black Inc clones also can be had in 130mm length if that's important to you. Reasonably light for an integrated bar, as well, IIRC. They also have the Metron 5D clones on there.
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

Algreen

by Algreen

@stevecurtis, silly question...do your aero water bottles leak? Leaky bottles is the bane of my existence.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Algreen wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:13 pm
@stevecurtis, silly question...do your aero water bottles leak? Leaky bottles is the bane of my existence.
A little but the new smooth ones are better.

Algreen

by Algreen

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:25 pm
Algreen wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:13 pm
A little but the new smooth ones are better.
Thanks. Will look into those.
Pleased that my vbr-099 shipped today. Looking forward to swapping parts. I intend to test the aero impact of the frame throigh power readings on a local track. Curious how much of a difference it makes. Finding the right bars will be key. I asked Chris to not ship the bars and he took $60 off the price.

Discodan

by Discodan

I've got a set of the Aliexpress canyon cockpit clone bars on my supersix and very happy. 380g, super stiff and good build quality

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Discodan wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:49 am
I've got a set of the Aliexpress canyon cockpit clone bars on my supersix and very happy. 380g, super stiff and good build quality
Can you link to which bar you bought?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com