Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thecraig

by thecraig

I am in a dilemma because of the very existence of the open mould frames!

Chasing a light(ish) disc road bike with good compliance, at least 28mm clearance and an endurance geo with a ceiling of $3000 (Australian).

I was fully intending to purchase a new Trek Emonda ALR 5 with 105 Hydraulic Discs and upgrade the wheel set. I'd have a really good set up, albeit aluminium.

I have run the figures and the open mould frames came up as an option. For the same coin I could get a frame and build it with an Ultegra R8020 groupset.

The frame weights are in the same vicinity (around 1kg) so that's not really a consideration - the question is the thousands of hours of design and experience of Trek and aluminium vs the unknown of the Chinese frames with the more accepted ride quality of Carbon.

TLDR: Is there an open mould frame (disc, endurance) that can match or better the Trek Emonda ALR 5 in terms of ride quality?

Marin

by Marin

There's very little "ride quality" in frames. Make sure you get a long exposed seatpost and fat tires. Oh, and a non-tapered fork helps, but they're almost gone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inertianinja

by inertianinja

New shoes arrived. Farsports 30mm deep/25mm wide. i can post the aliexpress seller if anyone's interested.

first ride today. happy with them so far, though as i posted earlier i have to do something about the rear brake reach.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

moonoi wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:26 am
inertianinja wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm
moonoi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:02 pm
...can't imagine riding a bike with rolling stone painted on it in huge letters...
It’s weird how just about any decals other than established brand names look wrong and corny.

“Canyon” and “trek” no problem.

If I got decals that said “Valley” or “Journey” it’d be terrible.
The main issue I have with the Rolling Stone brand is it doesn't have Mick Jaggers face plastered on the headtube...then I might be tempted to change my mind :wink:
I'd rather have Keith Richards as a symbol of indestructability.

Discodan

by Discodan

Bluechip wrote:I've used this "brand" on several of my bulds. It originally came from a bike racing magazine ad from Litespeed. I'm just trying to decide on which open mould frame to buy to use it again.
I like that, we could all use it and start a phantom brand just to sow the seeds of confusion

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

csf

by csf

This is my bike aka Hill goatImagefor last 3 year

5250g as it is on picture

Due to work It is used only during weekends but still fast enough to get few local KOMsImage

Now it’s time for new project, which frame from CN get good feedback lately , any links maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

moonoi wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 am
inertianinja wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm

I thought about “cervéLOL” but surely the joke would get old
Nah, it wouldn't get old, and I'd buy one with that on the downtube :lol:
Poorfellow in the same font on a Pinarello knockoff would be funny.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

My Workswell WCB-R-066 is doing great almost 2 years down the line @ 10hrs / week (& at 6kg).

Anyone else having issues? I haven't checked here for a while. Just wondering if there's anything to look out for with these frames.

I just dismanted everything for a deep clean and there are no scratches / cracks so it seems like a thumbs up from me.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I'm looking for a FM066. Is there currently a good offer anywhere? doesn't matter what brands logo is on it.

trex021

by trex021

jamesbass wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am
My Workswell WCB-R-066 is doing great almost 2 years down the line @ 10hrs / week (& at 6kg).

Anyone else having issues? I haven't checked here for a while. Just wondering if there's anything to look out for with these frames.

I just dismanted everything for a deep clean and there are no scratches / cracks so it seems like a thumbs up from me.
I still have my Workswell WCB-R-066 from 2015 as well. Still my favorite bike I've ever had. I installed Di2 on it a year ago in lue of buying a new bike. Not one problem ever and I've deep cleaned it a few times. I'm glad to hear from another happy owner

Svetty

by Svetty

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:04 am
I'm looking for a FM066. Is there currently a good offer anywhere? doesn't matter what brands logo is on it.
Planet X RT-80?

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

eins4eins wrote:
Tan Tan/Seraph; even claims to use EPS construction but they're probably a reseller's reseller just like everyone else.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 4bb0WsXZ32

inertianinja

by inertianinja

bremerradkurier wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:59 pm
eins4eins wrote:
Tan Tan/Seraph; even claims to use EPS construction but they're probably a reseller's reseller just like everyone else.

+1. That’s what I just got, without the branding. All good so far.

askeAnker

by askeAnker

bremerradkurier wrote:
eins4eins wrote:

Tan tan frames are produced by Flybike and LT Bike. Some of the bigger Chinese manufacturers. They own the moulds for some of their models but also sells open moulds and moulds owned by the manufacturers they work with. Like Carbonda, they do use EPS for some of their frames.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

Looking for reviews on the Hongfu FM-279 cx frameset, along with pictures of it built up as a complete bike. Please post if you can assist. Thanks!