Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

Thanks so much. Do you know what the threaded length is for front and rear?

Algreen

by Algreen

RDY wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:44 pm
Thanks so much. Do you know what the threaded length is for front and rear?
15mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Thanks so much

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

Does anyone have any recommendations for light weight thru axles on AliExpress?

Algreen

by Algreen

Hazzer19 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:19 pm
Check J&L on eBay.

RDY

by RDY

Algreen wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:09 pm
What came with the bike is

Front: M12 x 1.5. 130mm in length. Should be 125mm. Could be trimmed or buy new. (J&L)
Rear: M12 x 1.5. 164mm in length and fits perfectly.
FYI to anyone interested this corresponds roughly to Shimano E-Thru front and Giant Road rear.

Geodroid

by Geodroid

I know the FM066 has the perception of being a tried and true chinese frame, but it seems even now the most reputable manufactuers such as tantan and hongfu still can't make a round hole and their head tubes are ovalized which they will say is fine and it may not cause a catostrophic failure, but from an engineering standpoint I can't go that way.

Thinking of getting a Lightcarbon LCR007-v. Can anyone comment on those? Can they actually make round holes for the BB and head tube?
Last edited by Geodroid on Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Algreen

by Algreen

Geodroid wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:31 pm
I know the FM066 has the perception of being a tried and true chinese frame, but it seems even now the most reputable manufactuers such as tantan and hongfu still can't make a round hole and their head tubes are ovalized which they will say is fine and it may not cause a catostrophic failure, but from an engineering standpoint I can't go that way.

Thinking of getting a Lightcarbon LCR007-v. Can anyone comment on those? Can they actually make round holes for the BB and head tube?
In all fairness, the vbr-066 I built last year had round and correctly sized BB holes.
On the 099, the headset cups are a perfect clearance fit. BB was round and aligned, but not bored large enough (was 40.8mm, but should be between 40.95 and 41mm). Can't say whether or not mainstream brands are any better, if lower cost plastic cups can handle tighter tolerances, and/or if your local bike shop is making these corrections during installation and the average buyer isn't aware. Regardless, wouldn't be a reason not to buy in my opinion.

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

Algreen wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:05 pm
Hazzer19 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:19 pm
Check J&L on eBay.
Thank you. Looking for an AliExpress alternative.

R1Phrankey

by R1Phrankey

I bought a set of OG-Evkin at AliExpress.

LouisN

by LouisN

Geodroid wrote:
I'm with you on this.
I bought many "old school" frames (2014-2015) from Dengfu and they've been close to perfect.

Last year I bought a fork to fit a bike for my wife (from one recent manufacturer, can't remember their name and want to forget about them), and the tube was so ovalised I had to manually drill the inside (places had up to 2-3 mm too thick !) to fit an expander in there.

Louis :)

worstje

by worstje

Geodroid wrote:

I own this frame and am perfectly fine with it for almost 2 years. Nove Bikes is selling it for ~2000 AUD. Nevertheless, I have not made any quantitative assessment on hole geometry. From the qualitative point of view, there are no issues at all: BB behaves fine when pressing a BB86 in, no issues with any expander I have used so far, too.

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Has Anyone purchased the 2022 VB-R-218? Curious about reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

worstje wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:33 pm
Geodroid wrote:

I own this frame and am perfectly fine with it for almost 2 years. Nove Bikes is selling it for ~2000 AUD. Nevertheless, I have not made any quantitative assessment on hole geometry. From the qualitative point of view, there are no issues at all: BB behaves fine when pressing a BB86 in, no issues with any expander I have used so far, too.
Can you fit 28mm tires on this frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greycat

by greycat

The vbr218 hasn't been available very long. I'm Sure there are a bunch of people that want it. It has 32mm tire clearance. Its much lighter than the nasty f14 copies. If I wanted a dogma copy the velobuild would be my choice. I can understand wanting to build from a frame that doesn't remind you of a tarmac. The 218 will build out to be heavier than other options. I think it looks to be the easiest cable routing for mechanical hidden cables.