Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shadwell

by shadwell

Just ordered a Hongu FM-066 SL framset to replace my old scandium travel / training hack / bike.

I'm confident with the geometry and sizing, and the source and location doesn't concern me, neither does the QA...
there is a reason they are lower cost.....

Was interested if anyone else has ordered / recieved / ridden this frameset yet, and if so how was it...

I will be transferring all the old runing gear and wheels over... HED ardenes SL, 3T stem bars and seat post... SLR saddle, ultegra / dura-ace grouppo...etc.....

Any good info... google searces don't yield much in the way of ride reports....
Last edited by shadwell on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

russianbear

by russianbear

Rode with a guy who has an FM15. He said the quality was great, no issues assembling. Looked sharp as hell and great value.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

The Chinese Carbon frame thread on RBR is where you will find your answers

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Its very new (only starting production right now, apparently) so doubt there iwll be a lot of ride reviews.
I tried to email them to find out if the SL was less stiff than the normal (or if the weight difference was entirely due to using a higher spec, hence more expensive, carbon) but havent been able to get a response

liam7020

by liam7020

I have a FM015 frame which I use as a travel bike. Can't fault it, I rode the Tour of Flanders sportive 2011 and 2012 on it without any issues. Also have a FM058 cyclocross frame, again no issues. Am I reading the FM066 geometry table correctly, it's a 27.2mm seatpost?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

BobSantini

by BobSantini

I've got about 18,000 km on an FM028 from Dengfu and it's been faultless and a lovely ride. I guess I should qualify that by saying I'm a lightweight and I'm not hard on it.
I've got my eye on an FM066 for a cheapo weenie project. They are nicely light, 850g from Dengfu. The only thing I don't like about them (so far as I know) is the internal shifter cable routing. In fact that frame is one of the few that come close to presenting as structurally pure - no gratuitous curves or gimicky tube profiles. Just straightforward simple design nicely executed. It's quite beautiful to my eye.
If it breaks please let us know :D
Last edited by BobSantini on Thu May 10, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r o y g b i v

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Dura Ace on a "hack trainer".

Life sure is tough :wink:

jordo99

by jordo99

shadwell wrote:Just ordered a Hongu FM-066 SL framset to replace my old scandium travel / training hack / bike.

I'm confident with the geometry and sizing, and the source and location doesn't concern me, neither does the QA...

Was interested if anyone else has ordered / recieved / ridden this frameset yet, and if so how was it...

I will be transferring all the old runing gear and wheels over... HED ardenes SL, 3T stem bars and seat post... SLR saddle, ultegra / dura-ace grouppo...etc.....

I'm currently waiting for my FM098 order to go through and be shipped to me. I joined the 3rd group buy over at velobuild before they started group buys for the FM066 (which just came out around 2 months ago and has been very limited on availability. I'm not sure there are many people who've gotten one yet and had enough experience to give a good review of it) Over at velobuild they're still putting together a 2nd group buy for the FM066 and I think the price on the light version is $580 for the frameset (plus paint and shipping still) but if you go that route you'll probably be waiting a month or two for it compared to a few weeks paying full-price.

Guy

by Guy

jordo99 wrote:
shadwell wrote:Just ordered a Hongu FM-066 SL framset to replace my old scandium travel / training hack / bike.

I'm currently waiting for my FM098 order to go through and be shipped to me. I joined the 3rd group buy over at velobuild before they started group buys for the FM066 (which just came out around 2 months ago and has been very limited on availability. I'm not sure there are many people who've gotten one yet and had enough experience to give a good review of it) Over at velobuild they're still putting together a 2nd group buy for the FM066 and I think the price on the light version is $580 for the frameset (plus paint and shipping still) but if you go that route you'll probably be waiting a month or two for it compared to a few weeks paying full-price.

What is the full-price for the SL version? Am I right in thinking you can specify internal/external cable routing?

shadwell

by shadwell

Hey nick (tinea), it's 4 yrs old 7800..... So worth less than tiagra now....
But it still works well so it's earned it's place on hack.....

But life is always good on the gold coast :thumbup:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'll give you Tiagra price for it :wink:

jordo99

by jordo99

Guy wrote:
jordo99 wrote:

What is the full-price for the SL version? Am I right in thinking you can specify internal/external cable routing?

I'll have to check on the internal/external routing but I think the SL version (without group buy price) is $800-900. $860 seems to jump out at me but that could also be because my FM098 is $680 but group buy put it at $450.

shadwell

by shadwell

$780 AUD for frame fork for base sl...
I got matte clear finish over UD,
Headset seat clamp and 2 cages landed for $900 to Oz...

Non sl in standard finish is I recall $580 f&f only....

Murphs

by Murphs

Keen to have a look at it when it arrives! (also on the GC)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shadwell

by shadwell

@murphs pm me mate, when it comes in I'll be sending it to sydney where I am working every second week to take the place of my scandium Ali frameset....
Can bring it home to the Goldie durin the week before I send it down if you want to take a butchers..
Will take a shite load of pics and post a report too as it appears new and not may folks have received one yet..... :thumbup: