Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

Does anyone reckon if Sigeyi has a direct mount RD hanger that would fit the Velobuild 168? https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... ext=sigeyi

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Hazzer19 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:28 pm
Does anyone reckon if Sigeyi has a direct mount RD hanger that would fit the Velobuild 168? https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... ext=sigeyi
If you have a spare hanger, Sigeyi's website shows them in actual size-you may end up with a match by holding up your hanger to the monitor.

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

IMG_5649.JPG
bremerradkurier wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:17 pm
Hazzer19 wrote:
If you have a spare hanger, Sigeyi's website shows them in actual size-you may end up with a match by holding up your hanger to the monitor.
Thanks. I just tried to do that and it seems like it's a unique design, not sure if I'm going to find a good match

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Hazzer19 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:48 pm
IMG_5649.JPG
bremerradkurier wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:17 pm
Hazzer19 wrote:
Thanks. I just tried to do that and it seems like it's a unique design, not sure if I'm going to find a good match
VB is probably using a stock hanger and not designing their own.

In my case with an OG-Evkin Ali frame, I located a close fitting Wheel Manufacturing DM hanger where the screw holes lined up and cut away a corner of the hanger to fit it to the frame.

zaak

by zaak

Mawashi wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:43 am

@zaak,

Thanks for your sharing and the posh blue makes it really stand out!

Although, I've just gotten a new bike, the thought of one of these Chinese builds really intrigues me however, the weight of 1+kg bugs me somewhat.

On the flip side, most of the build quality from LT, Velo, ican, wheelspace n Hongfu seem way better than much more expensive brands.

Out of curiosity why did you choose the LTK268 vs some of these other brands n models please?

Many thanks,

Mawashi

First reason was customization of frame. Color choose and some other minor tweaks. Maybe sounds crazy but color is for me more than 50% of the bike. ( i will never, never buy / ride black frame )

Second very big reason was satisfaction. It is very easy to buy 2000-3000-4000 euro frame and not to make mistake. But if I ordering and buying something unknown that was a risk. And this little gambling was great.

Mawashi

by Mawashi

zaak wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:13 am
Mawashi wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:43 am

@zaak,

Thanks for your sharing and the posh blue makes it really stand out!

Although, I've just gotten a new bike, the thought of one of these Chinese builds really intrigues me however, the weight of 1+kg bugs me somewhat.

On the flip side, most of the build quality from LT, Velo, ican, wheelspace n Hongfu seem way better than much more expensive brands.

Out of curiosity why did you choose the LTK268 vs some of these other brands n models please?

Many thanks,

Mawashi

First reason was customization of frame. Color choose and some other minor tweaks. Maybe sounds crazy but color is for me more than 50% of the bike. ( i will never, never buy / ride black frame )

Second very big reason was satisfaction. It is very easy to buy 2000-3000-4000 euro frame and not to make mistake. But if I ordering and buying something unknown that was a risk. And this little gambling was great.
Hi Zaak,

Thanks for your rely and it makes sense especially to someone like me who likes to keep messing about with my gear.

I am however curious why Long Teng as there are so many other resellers like Yeoleo, winspace, Hong Fu etc.

Velo build has some T1000 "claimed" T1000 frames but I've also hear not so good things about them when I was searching about their frames.

I'm seriously considering a Chinese frame as my next bike.

Thx for your blog it really helps!

zaak

by zaak

Mawashi wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:52 am

Thanks for your rely and it makes sense especially to someone like me who likes to keep messing about with my gear.

I am however curious why Long Teng as there are so many other resellers like Yeoleo, winspace, Hong Fu etc.

Velo build has some T1000 "claimed" T1000 frames but I've also hear not so good things about them when I was searching about their frames.

this were my requirements during searching for a frame
-aero frame
-proper XL ( 590-600mm stack ) , this is not so common for chinese frames
-disc brake
-full "wires integration"
-possibility to ordering unpainted frame
-frame on stock

Mawashi

by Mawashi

zaak wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:55 am
Mawashi wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:52 am

this were my requirements during searching for a frame
-aero frame
-proper XL ( 590-600mm stack ) , this is not so common for chinese frames
-disc brake
-full "wires integration"
-possibility to ordering unpainted frame
-frame on stock
Hi Zaak,

Thanks for the info. I guess what I was thinking about was that you'll choose the fame based upon the reliability and quality from the various manufacturers. However, your comment about high risk high reward paid out for you.

Many thx

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Hazzer19 wrote:
I messaged Sigeyi with that exact question and they just said that they hadn't tested the frame.

I'd love to find a direct mount for the 168.

RDY

by RDY

Don't think it likely that Sigeyi will do them for the low price Chinese frames. It'll just get copied and sold for $5 on AliX - which happens with their other hangers too, but they probably still have the lion's share of sales for expensive frames - doubt they will for budget.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Hi all, just putting together my velobuild 099.
Quick question. I'm building 1x so will have a gear cable, front and rear brake line.

When it comes to the integrated bars, what's the best route for the cables?
Gear and rear either side of the steerer or both on one side and front hose on the other ?

Mawashi

by Mawashi

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:10 am
Quick question. I'm building 1x so will have a gear cable, front and rear brake line.

Gear and rear either side of the steerer or both on one side and front hose on the other ?
Hi Steve,

Zaak has a really good blog where he gives a lot of info on how he built the VB099
https://roadmeister.cc/

Cheers

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Mawashi wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:43 am
Steve Curtis wrote:

Hi Steve,

Zaak has a really good blog where he gives a lot of info on how he built the VB099

Cheers
Thanks.
Yeah, I know the blog but it doesn't go into enough detail to be helpful. They've changed the handlebar design too.

So far not impressed with the internal routing design so I'm going to come up with a way to use a standard bar and stem.

Mawashi

by Mawashi

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:17 am
Mawashi wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:

Hi Steve,

Cheers
Thanks.
Yeah, I know the blog but it doesn't go into enough detail to be helpful. They've changed the handlebar design too.

So far not impressed with the internal routing design so I'm going to come up with a way to use a standard bar and stem.
Personally I too wouldn't go the internal routing as there are so many issues that could crop up like the cables getting stretched during tight turns etc or it just too much of a pain to route them internally.

I have a 3t strada and a felt 2011 both have terrible routing in that cables go through the top tube just after the steerer. Now those bikes are better off having side ports or all internal routing as its a mess up front.

I just think that better cable routing is really needed on all bikes as it is getting to be such a pain to plan out a simple installation!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Mawashi wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:36 am
Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:17 am
Mawashi wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:

Hi Steve,

Cheers
Thanks.

Personally I too wouldn't go the internal routing as there are so many issues that could crop up like the cables getting stretched during tight turns etc or it just too much of a pain to route them internally.

I have a 3t strada and a felt 2011 both have terrible routing in that cables go through the top tube just after the steerer. Now those bikes are better off having side ports or all internal routing as its a mess up front.

I just think that better cable routing is really needed on all bikes as it is getting to be such a pain to plan out a simple installation!
I totally agree. Integrates bars are better now with split spacers etc but there just isn't enough room for 3 or 4 cables to run unimpeded in that tight space. I guess it's different if you have etap and 2 cables but still, it's a pain.

This build was supposed to be AXS but as it isn't available right now I need to use a mechanical shifter. I've got to a point where the cable outlets are in the frame but I ran out of sware words during the process. It doesn't feel like a controlled and repeatable process. More a case of stuff them in and hope the don't rub.

It's times like this I where I'd love a 3D printer and the brain to design something. Instead I've ordered some 2mm carbon sheet to make a new top cap so I can fit a standard stem.