Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

I'm in North Vancouver, Canada and paid only around USD $15 in duties, however I noticed later that the declared ammount on the commercial invoice for packing was only around $150

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jimin

by Jimin

Hazzer19 wrote:I'm in North Vancouver, Canada and paid only around USD $15 in duties, however I noticed later that the declared ammount on the commercial invoice for packing was only around $150
What does commercial invoice mean? An invoice from bike company? :)

Skickat från min SM-N986B via Tapatalk

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

Jimin wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:51 pm
Hazzer19 wrote:I'm in North Vancouver, Canada and paid only around USD $15 in duties, however I noticed later that the declared ammount on the commercial invoice for packing was only around $150

Yes it's the invoice attached to the parcel needed for customs clearance. I didn't pay that little obviously but VB quoted that ammount on the invoice in order lower the potential duties I'm assuming

Jimin

by Jimin

Hazzer19 wrote:
Jimin wrote:

Yes it's the invoice attached to the parcel needed for customs clearance. I didn't pay that little obviously but VB quoted that ammount on the invoice in order lower the potential duties I'm assuming
Ah I see! Our whole conversation makes me wanna order the 099 right away haha! I noticed that there are more options with 168 for handlebars

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Jimin wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:15 pm
Hazzer19 wrote:
Jimin wrote:

Ah I see! Our whole conversation makes me wanna order the 099 right away haha! I noticed that there are more options with 168 for handlebars

You can have these size bars on the 099. Just ask them when you order the frame.

Jimin

by Jimin

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:40 am
Jimin wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:15 pm
Hazzer19 wrote:
Jimin wrote:

You can have these size bars on the 099. Just ask them when you order the frame.
Oh never thought about that! Will do! THanks!:)

obiwanshinobi

by obiwanshinobi

Hazzer19 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:33 am
I went with the VB-R-168 having come from a Workswell WCB-R-081 (the yellow one pictured on the road section of their site on top of a mountain lol) and have been really happy with it. The slightly more relaxed geometry coupled with a higher stem height and shorter reach is working really well. Bough an internal calbing kit from Aliexpress and it came in really handy for wiring the frame and bars. No complaints so far other than some minor drivetrain issues that I don't think are related to the frame.

Still haven't weighed it yet as I don't have a scale at home. Is that sacrilege here? haha - Not expecting anything super light but it's nice to know what you're working with at least.

IMG_4637.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

FullSizeRender(4).jpg
Beautiful build!
I see you mentioned its a 54cm, can you tell me the standover height please?

bkerning

by bkerning

Stunning, thanks for sharing! Inspired by your post, I just ordered a VB-R168 to replace my Tantan TT-X21 from last year.

Love my TT-X21 (VB-R099) but the frame and handlebar combo that I opted for is too big for me. I'm 5'8" and the chart had me between 52cm or 54cm, always regretted sizing up when I should have sized down.

I also ordered chameleon paint, any feedback on their quality? Debating if I should go with gloss or matte finish?

BTW, my Di2 controller/charging port is currently set up in my downtube, I noticed the 168 doesn't have the mounting plate and see that yours is mounted under the steam, are you planning to run yours in the bar end?
Hazzer19 wrote:
I went with the VB-R-168 having come from a Workswell WCB-R-081 (the yellow one pictured on the road section of their site on top of a mountain lol) and have been really happy with it. The slightly more relaxed geometry coupled with a higher stem height and shorter reach is working really well. Bough an internal calbing kit from Aliexpress and it came in really handy for wiring the frame and bars. No complaints so far other than some minor drivetrain issues that I don't think are related to the frame.

Still haven't weighed it yet as I don't have a scale at home. Is that sacrilege here? haha - Not expecting anything super light but it's nice to know what you're working with at least.

IMG_4637.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

FullSizeRender(4).jpg

Jimin

by Jimin

bkerning wrote:Stunning, thanks for sharing! Inspired by your post, I just ordered a VB-R168 to replace my Tantan TT-X21 from last year.

Love my TT-X21 (VB-R099) but the frame and handlebar combo that I opted for is too big for me. I'm 5'8" and the chart had me between 52cm or 54cm, always regretted sizing up when I should have sized down.

I also ordered chameleon paint, any feedback on their quality? Debating if I should go with gloss or matte finish?

BTW, my Di2 controller/charging port is currently set up in my downtube, I noticed the 168 doesn't have the mounting plate and see that yours is mounted under the steam, are you planning to run yours in the bar end?
Hazzer19 wrote:

IMG_4637.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

FullSizeRender(4).jpg
I was also considering TT-X21(VBR099) but the size aside, are you happy with it otherwise? Im 5 7 and I was thinking of going 52"

Which one did you got at the end?

Skickat från min SM-G781B via Tapatalk

bkerning

by bkerning

Yes, pretty happy overall but that's not to say that everything was perfect.

TLDR, I actually ordered & built up three TT-X21 frames last year. A 52cm for my brother, 56cm for our friend, and 54cm for me.

QC Issue #1 - Poor clearance in the chainstay for internal Di2 routing. No problems connecting the rear derailleur on the 52 but it was an ordeal for the 54 and 56. We ended lubricating the di2 cables and used brute force pulling them both through. This ruined our Park Tool internal routing tool. Shouldn't be an issue if you're using a mechanical groupset, we were able to pass the regular cable through without any issue.

QC Issue #2 - My brother's handlebar developed a hairline crack after a climb. Fortunately, he heard it, spotted it, and stopped riding right away. We emailed them photos and a video and they sent a replacement. Covered under warranty but they made us pay for shipping.

Jimin wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:59 pm
bkerning wrote:Stunning, thanks for sharing! Inspired by your post, I just ordered a VB-R168 to replace my Tantan TT-X21 from last year.

Hazzer19 wrote:

IMG_4637.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

FullSizeRender(4).jpg
I was also considering TT-X21(VBR099) but the size aside, are you happy with it otherwise? Im 5 7 and I was thinking of going 52"

Which one did you got at the end?

Skickat från min SM-G781B via Tapatalk

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

obiwanshinobi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:31 pm
Hazzer19 wrote:

IMG_4637.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

FullSizeRender(4).jpg
Beautiful build!
I see you mentioned its a 54cm, can you tell me the standover height please?
Thank you! Stand ove is around 76cm at the middle of the top tube

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

bkerning wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:50 pm
Stunning, thanks for sharing! Inspired by your post, I just ordered a VB-R168 to replace my Tantan TT-X21 from last year.

Hazzer19 wrote:

IMG_4637.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

FullSizeRender(4).jpg
Thank you! I've been really happy with the chamaleon paint job (aside from it being darker than I asked) in the glossy option. I would pick this over the matte personally for this skind of paint job.

I deffinitely thought about getting a bar end junction box but held off due to cost. In retrospect I would do it though as the headset/cockpit area is so clean with the integrated cabling that adding the junction box messes up the look at bit, nevermind having to get a bit creative to make it work down there (I zap strapped it to my computer mount I think).

Attermann

by Attermann

what to buy?

im looking for a rim brake frame, not aero frame, with round seatpost, as light as possible, whats the frame to buy right now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 2e0eOPFpqc

i can't really see if this has a round seatpost.

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Is there any place I can get a frame similar to a Scott foil or a Ridley Noah fast. I really like that style of frame. Along with that I would want fully internal cable routing and disc brakes. Thanks for the help!

garbageman

by garbageman

Attermann wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:15 pm
what to buy?

im looking for a rim brake frame, not aero frame, with round seatpost, as light as possible, whats the frame to buy right now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... 2e0eOPFpqc

i can't really see if this has a round seatpost.
That has a D-shaped seatpost. There are a lot of options for non-aero rim brake frames with round seatposts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com