hand pump after a flat

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mann2

by mann2

why not use a mini floor pump instead of a hand pump?

Topeak Road Morph G

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

If you guys really want to go WW;

Dont carry any spares, tubes, pumps or CO2 at all... be light and take the risk ;-)
It's worth it... isn't it?

For myself I indeed like my (relative) light bike and willing to destroy app 400gr savings with 2 sets of co2 / tubes so I dont have to walk home 50 clicks...
Maybe I am too easy here.

P.S. A mobile iso tubes, spares, pump etc is also not fair as they are also 150-200gr.

My conclusion; real WW go as much nacked as they can! So I am not a real one, only like the weight bling bling and the carbon on the bike...
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

LVGH

by LVGH

As much as I like the construction and design, after using it for years I have to say the Lezyne stuff is overrated. I have a pressure drive and a road drive, the pressure drive won't even get you over 6 bar with any reasonable effort. The road drive also doesn't live up to its (pressure) promise (but in fact no minipump does..). Both pumps are slow indeed, if you want a bit of air in the tube before mounting you have to (un)screw things 8 times before you are good to go.

1. unscrew hose from pump
2. screw hose to the other side of the pump
3. screw hose to valve
4. unscrew hose from valve
(mount tire)
5. screw hose to valve
(pump 200+ times to reach an acceptable pressure)
6. unscrew hose from valve
7. unscrew hose from pump
8. screw hose into the other side of the pump.

But the really annoying part is when step 6 unscrews the inner valve from the tube. :evil: Continental tubes have a habit of very loose valve cores out of the factory. Tightening the valve core by hand is not enough to prevent the above from happening. So if you don't take necessary precautions (i.e. you just bring along a brand new inner tube on your ride) you have a problem. If you are a bit rough tightening it with, say, a set of pliers, then you may damage the thread such that the hose doesn't fit properly anymore and air leaks out when pumping. This would probably happen with any mini pump but those do not require equilly tightened valve cores.

The hose idea is good, but getting a road drive up to 7 bar is not a comfortable exercise; the pump doesn't have a good grip and the metal end pinches the hand if you don't wear gloves. The heat is also uncomfortable. In addition, the pump has a number of rubber parts which easily fall off and get lost at the side of the road.

CO2 pumps are a lot more user friendly and quicker so nowadays I also have the brilliant Genuine Innovations airchuck elite in my saddlebag.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I like the Lezyne tire levers they have been excellent.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

winky

by winky

All you weenies out there saying nonsense about the guy who posted this thread topic... Hey dudes, he is right. It is a PAIN in the buttocks to use a hand pump. It takes a freaking huge effort to get anything over 90 psi!

I have a Lezyne HP Roqd drive pump advertised as being able to get to 160 psi. which is total BS. The original poster isn't too far off when he says that he got, what 50 psi on a really solid effort.

I think it's a blatant lie for these pump manufacturers to be claiming anything over 100+ psi on these pumps. That's total BS. They might as well claim that you can get up to 200 psi. :twisted:

tuba

by tuba

stop counting strokes and start pumping - the initial 80 psi are easy & fast with a good mini pump

it really isn't a big deal to pump
i think the pain would be having to call someone/wait or having to ride on a flat tire because you only have 2 co2's

as for the Lezyne hose pulling valve cores grease the threads & o-ring on the hose side
Last edited by tuba on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

When I buy new tubes, I always tighten the valves using the Stan's tool (before putting the tubes into service).

http://www.notubes.com/Core-Remover-Tool-P350C16.aspx
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I also use the Stans tool to tighten valve stems. I have a Lezyne pump that has pulled many out and yes, I lubed the o-ring.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

AGW

by AGW

mann2 wrote:why not use a mini floor pump instead of a hand pump?

Topeak Road Morph G

I've managed 120psi with this pump with only moderate difficulty past the initial 100. It works great, but I can't exactly fit it in my jersey pocket either. It also looks pretty ugly mounted on the frame. My air chuck/CO2 is a hell of a lot faster (instant) and hasn't let me down. A whole case of threaded cartridges only cost me $12 on amazon.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I think it's a blatant lie for these pump manufacturers to be claiming anything over 100+ psi on these pumps. That's total BS. They might as well claim that you can get up to 200 psi.

Any engineer worth his salt would tell you that it is just not possible to expect the impossible.....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Liggero

by Liggero

Problem is this;

CO2 cartridges are really cool indeed, instant desired pressure with no pumping. Problems; one is too risky, so you have to bring two of them. And even then, you need to inflate the tube first. You can do that with a co2 cartridge and one of those smart adapters. But still, it's too risky, or you will loose too much air from the cartridge, or inflate the tube too much before mounting it... you can inflate the tube with your mouth, or with a mini pump. So, in the end you have to carry a mini pump, and one or two cartridges. That in the case you have a flat. If you have no flat you are carrying all that weight for nothing.

Solution; bring just a mini pump. *f##k* the co2. it's the lightest solution. Inflate to 4 bar. if it's not enough, just harden the *f##k* up and pedal stronger. You can also bring glueless patches and forget the new inner tube too.

I think co2 is nice for group rides. otherwise, a crappy mini-pump is good enough, and very light. otherwise mini pump+co2+tube is thebest, but it's just too heavy for a true WW.
Happy Trails !!!

tommasini

by tommasini

BobDopolina wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:I never said a real rider doesn't carry a spare tubular. And it's been working out just fine for me, thank you. It doesn't hurt that I average about 30000 km between flats.

Wow! So you flat once every 2 years.

Shit, I'd ride Unicorn snot with leprechaun sidewalls if that we're possible.

Do you address customers the same as you have here at WW? - also keep in mind that you are not dealing with novices coming into your shop door for basic advice - you are amongst very dedicated cyclists............

I too have about the same mileage and flat frequncy with tubbies - don't categorize us on WW as being at the same level of customers you see at your shop.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Liggero wrote:Problem is this;

CO2 cartridges are really cool indeed, instant desired pressure with no pumping. Problems; one is too risky, so you have to bring two of them. And even then, you need to inflate the tube first. You can do that with a co2 cartridge and one of those smart adapters. But still, it's too risky, or you will loose too much air from the cartridge, or inflate the tube too much before mounting it... you can inflate the tube with your mouth, or with a mini pump. So, in the end you have to carry a mini pump, and one or two cartridges. That in the case you have a flat. If you have no flat you are carrying all that weight for nothing.

Solution; bring just a mini pump. *f##k* the co2. it's the lightest solution. Inflate to 4 bar. if it's not enough, just harden the *f##k* up and pedal stronger. You can also bring glueless patches and forget the new inner tube too.

I think co2 is nice for group rides. otherwise, a crappy mini-pump is good enough, and very light. otherwise mini pump+co2+tube is thebest, but it's just too heavy for a true WW.

Completely agree with this,

and I've posted similar thoughts here, linking to the comment I reply to:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=110163&p=941133#p941128
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

project3

by project3

"Without a hose, a pump of this size would be nearly impossible to use. And although the figures seem low (40psi at 150 strokes, with a stroke length of 12.5cm) the pump doesn’t get hot and after 300 strokes we’d hit around 75psi and were still going strong. "

i love this kind of test - provide how many strokes to reach certain psi

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... t-hp-47074