For the experienced riders: Is stiffer faster?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

Phill P wrote:I'm 100kg+ (that's all I'll own up to). I changed from a triple butt Al frame to a Cannondale System 6. MY GOD do I prefer the System 6 for so many reasons!!

I'm 57 kg so multiply stiffness from me to you by 0.57. Further you're on a bigger frame so likely for the same frame model mine is already likely stiffer.

So I concur with the "sweet spot" comments.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

i would not worry much about stiffness but much more on your riding position. you need to have a bike with balanced stiffness. its like choosing the s-works sl4 over the cannondale evo just because it stiffer.

nhluhr

by nhluhr

djconnel wrote:Further you're on a bigger frame so likely for the same frame model mine is already likely stiffer.
:noidea:

Larger carbon frame sizes almost always employ more material to result in stronger and stiffer frames despite the larger triangle because the intended audience will necessarily be heavier.

Phill P

by Phill P

djconnel wrote:I'm 57 kg so multiply stiffness from me to you by 0.57. Further you're on a bigger frame so likely for the same frame model mine is already likely stiffer.

So I concur with the "sweet spot" comments.

Right there with you DJ-shorter riders on smaller frame would want more vertical flex and stress less about torsional or drive line stiffness. My system6 is a massive 60cm frame. The triple butted frame of course was pretty large as well. I thought the system 6 would rider harsher than it did, but I was really surprised how much more forgiving it was than the smaller OD tube of the triple butted frame. The rear of the system 6 is Al as well. If given the opportunity I would love to rebirth the system six frame manufacturing its a great frame-naked clear coat with polished or ano rear ends mmmmmm.

It really just comes down to another consideration for the kind of rider you are.
Is the frame stiff/forgiving for the type or rider you are- and of course does the bike fit you properly!!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

tosterbe

by tosterbe

This post reminded me of why I'm not selling my system six even though I have an evo. Shame that the system six is the 'foul weather bike' but I just can't bear to part with it.

-t