Winter gloves?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

adrien de la touche

by adrien de la touche

Anyone have any views on the best winter gloves out there?
Looking to spend less than £50
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

showdown

by showdown

I have a pair of these for standard winter riding and they're fantastic: http://www.triathletesports.com/Craft-L ... 0-22b9.htm

When it's colder than about 30 degrees Fahrenheit of I'm going riding for longer than 2 hours I use heated gloves: http://www.ventureheat.com/rechargeable ... nisex.html

hockinsk

by hockinsk

I find the defeet duraglove plenty warm enough for most winter rides below 2 or 3 hours. I don't ever ride if there's frost on the roads though. Certainly fine down to 1 or 2 deg cent. Depends how much you feel the cold though I guess.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

For my psycho dead of New York (state) winter rides of 60 miles plus, I use:

1 pair of (michael jackson ripoff) gold thread liner gloves with "pockets" for charcoal heat packs- underneath--
1 pair thinsulate flex gloves (soft glove)- underneath--
1 pair craft lobster glove shell (not using their liner)

I've used this setup on rides where temps started around 9 degrees farenheit and ended around 17-20 degrees farenheit (-13 to -6 celcius).
I'll defer to heated insoles for my feet, however!
Speedplay is the devil!

em3

by em3

Adrian, thanks for starting this thread. I have tried several Pearl Izumi winter gloves, including the Lobster and the Inferno and have been disappointed. While both are very warm, even in less then 20 degree weather (worn alone without a liner) neither of them breath. After about half an hour your hand gets sweaty, clammy and slippery inside the glove.

I am wondering if folks can suggest warm winter gloves that breath well?
EM3

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

If its really wet then I use my neoprene diving gloves - well designed to keep hand warm when wet and grip to boot.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

em3 wrote:Adrian, thanks for starting this thread. I have tried several Pearl Izumi winter gloves, including the Lobster and the Inferno and have been disappointed. While both are very warm, even in less then 20 degree weather (worn alone without a liner) neither of them breath. After about half an hour your hand gets sweaty, clammy and slippery inside the glove.

I am wondering if folks can suggest warm winter gloves that breath well?
EM3

Your really need to look into finding layers that provide you with enough warmth without too much bulk. This is part of the reason I set up a winter/foul weather bike w/ bar end shifters-- easier to shift, especially w/ lobster mitts on.
Speedplay is the devil!

Chiva

by Chiva

Barmitts!!!!!

Chiva

naisan

by naisan

How cold is it where you ride? Do you ride in the wet? Do you have good hand circulation and do you keep your core warm when you ride?

I ride the Pear Izumi barrier gloves down to about 20F, for hours, with no problems. I also ride them in the wet (Seattle area) and they keep me dry and comfortable. I have warm hands when I ride, usually.

js

by js

I'm a Canadian and a Craft devotee... and they work just as well in the UK.

I have a pair of older windstopper XC ski gloves from Craft that are idea for -5 to 10deg C rides. Below that, the Craft Lobster gloves are where it's at and for one VERY important reason - you can change the liners.

The stock liners are okay to get you to about -10deg, but if you get some simple, cheap fleece liners ($10 at MEC), I've been able to ride with these down to -25C. One thing worth noting is that as the fleece packs down and loses it's fluffiness, you'll quickly notice that the gloves aren't quite as warm - I always kept a few on the go and only used the newest ones when it was really cold. It's also important to ensure that you get a size of Lobster gloves that has enough room to accommodate fluffy liners.

At -30C and below, I needed full Goretex Mitts over the top of my warmest Craft combo, but then your control of the bars/brakes are extremely limited - you really need the split fingers to be able to separate bar movement from braking.

For what it's worth, I've commuted when the windchill was <-50C and also done longer winter rides when it's been <-30C. The biggest thing to keep in mind for longer rides is that when it's really cold, no amount of gloves, mitts, warmers, socks or booties will do anything to keep your extremities warm - you need to get off your bike and jog for a few minutes every 10-20min depending on how cold it is. Doing this is the easiest way, and likely the only way, to actually keep your hands and feet warm.

adrien de la touche

by adrien de la touche

Thanks for that everyone, I'll try to find some of those Craft ones.
Cheers
Aidee

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

All the advice here is solid, and the OP has a great handle. Monty,Monty, Monty...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Another Canadian here so listen up. Assuming your are not riding in the rain the key as noted is breathability. Here's the trick: put a couple of fingers in the glove, press your lips against the outside and try to blow through the material. If you feel your breath penetrating the glove then you know the breathability is adequate. The best gloves also have very breathable palms. This applies to all different weights of gloves regardless of the amount of insulation. (For staying dry in wet weather totally different gear is needed.)

I have been using this test widely and there are very few gloves that pass. Another problem with all the gloves that don't breath (at least in my area) is that they have a bit of my saliva on them :P .

In the past my favorites have come from Descent but their models have been revised and I haven't tested the latest.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

maquisard

by maquisard

Ditto for Craft, they are the best gloves I have used both in terms of keeping hands warm and durability. Have tried the Assos 851 gloves and while warm and comfortable they only lasted about one season.

easyrhino72

by easyrhino72

Gore makes some awesome winter gloves. Granted Im in Virginia so its not like Canada cold but they keep my fingers nice and warm. Check em out. N

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com