Ciamillo Gravitas crank, review and poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What are the 2 most important things for you on a crank ?

-Design + stiffness
9%
-Design + weight
15%
-Design + price
5%
-Stiffness + weight
44%
-Stiffness + price
9%
-Weight + price
18%

Total votes: 159

elfuinha

by elfuinha

elfuinha wrote:
lewolive wrote:BSA30 cranks are exactly fitting BSA30 bearings, no spacers are required.
BSA cranks can be installed on any other 30mm bearings (BBRight, BB386 evo, BB86, BB30).

You probably have a true BB30, and in that case it's supposed to fit perfectly without spacers.

On my BSA30 installation, the installation is absolutely perfect: the crank is tightened to 200 in/lb, there is no play on the spindle or the spider, and the crank turns very smoothly thanks to ceramic bearings.

thanks for your answer but i've got the fillling i don't have true BB30, because the spindle is abouty 87mm, and B30 or PFBB30 is 68, i'm 19 in need off spacer that didn't came with the crank, assuming this is the correct spindle size for this crank.

Regards

As i assumed, i've got the wrong crank, spindle is huge.

Still waitring on TED to answer my emails, but is not answering.

this is no simple buy:

ltes see:
2 months waiting ( 3 weeks claimed wen order done).

1st crank sent lost in mail.

2nd one send a week later, stucked at post office, then resended the next week.

Crank arraived and is the wrong crank, can't mount it in my bike.

Money and time consumed Huge - Chainrings, Bolts, Paid crank, costums fees, more than 1000€.

lets see how will this be solved

lewolive

by lewolive

I don't want you to be discouraged, but there are other customers who have ordered before you.
The main problem is now that it's hard to produce at the same time brakes and cranks. The production has really started 2 weeks ago with good capacities.
The skills of the team increase each day.
The crank is really disturbing the production but it should be over now, with regular products that may be standard.
In a near future the shop will probably work few weeks to produce just brakes, and then change to produce just cranks. Switching between different productions is something expensive and complicated in the Industry and this is here the case as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elfuinha

by elfuinha

lewolive wrote:I don't want you to be discouraged, but there are other customers who have ordered before you.
The main problem is now that it's hard to produce at the same time brakes and cranks. The production has really started 2 weeks ago with good capacities.
The crank is really disturbing the production but it should be over now, with regular products that may be standard.
In a near future the shop will probably work few weeks to produce just brakes, and then change to produce just cranks. Switching between different productions is something expensive and complicated in the Industry and this is here the case as well.

hello lewolive

maybe other customers got the right and complete order.

My problem is with the crank itselve, he send me the wrong crank, yesterday i speed 2 hours in my bike shop and the crank doesn't fit the bike.

my order as very clear and several emails were sent stating what i want, a PFBB30 crank, and i still don't know what crank Ted sent me, it as a 87,5mm spindle - ok, still waiting for is tecnichal answer from Him.

PFBB30 is 68mm long, and on a true BB30 Crank should you have to put almost 20mm in spacers???? Please....

Also on the the drive side the Bearing track of about 12,5 to 13mm (see pics below - my crank is the Phone picture, the other one is yours), the rest of the half spindle as a smaller diameter about 28mm or so... before the middle conection with the other half spindle, adding spacer so the crank doesn't rubb the frame is about 7,5mm (and assuming this is the correct spacers that are need, for a 43,5mm Chainline, because no instrutions came with the product, or any type off spacer, besides the Spring washer).

moving on:

The cover of the bearings on my sram PFBB30 is 3mm adding the two (3mm + 7,5mm), you will have 10,5mm, that lives a track on Drive Side Half spindle for the bearing of 2 to 2,5mm. A BB30 Bearing ref.: 6806 as 7mm wide, living the bearing unsuported on the inside 4 to 4,5mm. and i also add to find a correct wide spacer to the Ndrive Crank arm.

so tell me if this is the correct crank i recieved.???????????????????????????

Regarding the tecnichal construction of the crank, it looks superb, well finish, you can tell its handmade because mine as some glue remains, and some scuffs on the left and Right Arm, but that is something that didn't even bother me.

what is really disturbing was the wait (my order was done 27/7/2013), the Money i've already spent, and having a product that i didn't order.

i could have bought any crank in the makert to replace my trouble free Hollowgram SL with spidering, and decided on this one, i should have shot my two foots instead, by the goings off this.

Best Regards
Last edited by elfuinha on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

lewolive wrote:I don't want you to be discouraged, but there are other customers who have ordered before you.

None of which is ANY excuse.

I've held off commenting to give Ted the benefit of the doubt, but this is beginning to look like a train wreck. Awful.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

On February 9, 2013 in this thread, lewolive wrote:For septic people, Ted is also going to certify the product by official labs in GA.
What is the status of the certification effort?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Septic. :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Mimizk

by Mimizk

elfuinha,
I commiserate with you... I'm on almost the same situation.

I also couldn't receive any items and return of payment from him.
The amount is 1100$.
Though there are some persons who maintain him because he is so busy, if so, it can be allowed to tell a lie? Not to return someone's money or break promises?
It's no need to say.

I ordered on 5/29/2013 and payed.
The date of delivery was decided just 1 month.
This date was decided by Ted Ciamillo, himself.
I waited more 1 month from overed the date of dalivery.
He said he has already made all of the parts for it and needed only a time to assemble it up.
I asked him to send me a picture of the parts if he has not told me a lie.
But he didn't, so I decided to cancel my order and demanded him to return the money.
Already I was told from him that he return the money whenever I want so if I can't wait the late.

I sent him 2 of Vista Integral cranksets for reference.
He also not return them.

I can't believe.
He is amazing man.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Mimizk wrote:elfuinha,
I commiserate with you... I'm on almost the same situation.

I also couldn't receive any items and return of payment from him.
The amount is 1100$.
Though there are some persons who maintain him because he is so busy, if so, it can be allowed to tell a lie? Not to return someone's money or break promises?
It's no need to say.

I ordered on 5/29/2013 and payed.
The date of delivery was decided just 1 month.
This date was decided by Ted Ciamillo, himself.
I waited more 1 month from overed the date of dalivery.
He said he has already made all of the parts for it and needed only a time to assemble it up.
I asked him to send me a picture of the parts if he has not told me a lie.
But he didn't, so I decided to cancel my order and demanded him to return the money.
Already I was told from him that he return the money whenever I want so if I can't wait the late.

I sent him 2 of Vista Integral cranksets for reference.
He also not return them.

I can't believe.
He is amazing man.

hello Minizk

by my count already spent 1459USD, on (crank + taxes and fees )+ chain rings + bolts and a CK BB30, so I can get more Drive side spindle support) , and according to Ted, he didn’t ship 2 lousy spacer to put the crank on the Bike.

Also gave me the 3rd electronic tracking number that isn’t active yet (today) for the spacers "Express shipping", this on monday night. to me he is buying time, he didn't shipp jack.

Already ask a friend of mine to do the spacers in Black Nylon to see if it works. (more Money to spend to)

and All this assuming the crank I have, will work on the bike. :noidea:

it's very hard to work with pleople who do business this way.

so all this i have a box with 1459USD bike parts in the closet of my bedroom. great isn't it.
Regards

Mimizk

by Mimizk

Hello again elfuinha,

But I've read that you want a crankset for PF30 (BB30) shell.
Ofcourse I can understand you can use the long spindle cranks on PF30 shell frame with spacers, though it is not correct condition.
I think you should say that Ted must make a cranks which have correct length spindle, or demand to return your money back.

You were told from him that something like he has already shipped, but it is probably lie.
Someone who like him often use such lies.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Ted was having log-in issues and asked if I could post a response on his behalf...

elfuinha,

The spindle length is correct. The crank was designed this way to accommodate multiple BB's. I am very sorry the appropriate spacers were not included and I did express them. The tracking number is working on my end. Please make sure you have entered it correctly and I will resend it to you.

Thanks,
Ted

Thanks,

Ted Ciamillo
carbonLORD.com

lewolive

by lewolive

Hello,

I'm not responsible for delivery issues or production problems, but I can confirm that the latest version that I have is still working good. Next week it'll go from my BSA frame to my PF 41/30 frame (Canyon SLX). I'll make a review of the installation on the forum.
What I can say is that the dimension of BSA30 Ciamillo cranks is very regular since February.

Please note that it's me who advised Ted to make his crank compatible with the largest manufacturer of BB, Rotor.

So, the crank is working with the same instructions as those used for the line 3D+/3D Flow, 3DF/3D Power, WITH ROTOR bearings !
The only difference is that on Rotor is using silicon seals and you shouldn't use seals for Ciamillo cranks that are tuned products and supposed to be cleaned more regularly than products designed for a very large public.

So, for example, il you have a BBright, with a Rotor cranks you need one 11m spacer on the DS.
On a Ciamillo crank, you would use a 11mm on the DS and install the crank without spacers.
You may use a wave washer + a 9-10mm spacer and adjust thus your chainline...
Wave washers would be probably usefull on BB86, BBRight, PF30 and of course BB30 for those who are using a BSA30 Ciamillo crank with BB30 bearings.

For now, Ted is working to improve the speed of the production, and some solutions will be found shortly to reduce the weight.
Detailed instructions are expected by the end of the year, and certification will be requested probably by the end of the year as well.
For now, please use Rotor BB/bearings if you are unsure of your installation. Of course, some other cups of other suppliers will work but we cannot make instructions for all of these.

fstanbury

by fstanbury

I paid for my crankset October 19 2012. almost one year ago. Followed up a few times with the same response (when responses were given) my crank is shipping in two weeks.

Still no crank set

LionelB

by LionelB

This is unreal. I can't believe people put up with that stuff.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yeah.....come on folks. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. This crap has been going on far too long. Lets face it, the brakes and crank look great in photos, but if they never materialize than what is the point. It is obvious that Ted's ability to run a successful business with satisfied customers is simply not there. I don't think that he is a crook or anything, but I do think that he is an engineer with the best intentions, that very simply does not have the skill set to run a successful business.

If you send him a dime be prepared for that to be an interest free loan that you may, or may not, ever see the fruits of.

:unbelievable:

Mimizk

by Mimizk

fstanbury wrote:I paid for my crankset October 19 2012. almost one year ago. Followed up a few times with the same response (when responses were given) my crank is shipping in two weeks.

Still no crank set

Can you serch the tracking number?
Or is it only what Ted Ciamillo said?

Not a few people, also I'm included, have experience what be said "your item have shipped!" from him.

Anyway... I suppose you are very hardy because you have been waiting for a year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com