Ciamillo Gravitas crank, review and poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What are the 2 most important things for you on a crank ?

-Design + stiffness
9%
-Design + weight
15%
-Design + price
5%
-Stiffness + weight
44%
-Stiffness + price
9%
-Weight + price
18%

Total votes: 159

KWalker

by KWalker

Wow, so you guys are basically paying hundreds of dollars to be alpha testers/maybe beta, of a product that obviously hasn't been through enough prototyping. Makes sense.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Valid point KWalker, but can we try and avoid this becoming the fourth (?) locked Ciamillo crank thread?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mimizk

by Mimizk

I cancelled my order.
I ordered special crankset which can be installed Vista Integral pedal unit to Ted Ciamillo for 3 months ago but finally I couldn't receive such items from him.

He said me that he already made parts for it but also needed time to assemble it up.
I waited for a month over, though finally he didn't complete his jobs so I said him to pay my money back.

I asked him to send pictures which taken the parts, though he didn't.
I couldn't believe him anymore, so I decided to cancel my order.
It was implemented too quickly as his usual.

revpower

by revpower

Well after use the crank for about two weeks and ride about 300km
There is a noisy sound at the crank when i pedaling it, and the noise will getting louder if i put more power to the crank.
Right now i bring the bike to my bike tuner, and i still don't know what is the mistake.

KWalker

by KWalker

The thread should be locked until the company stops using a forum to sell a product that quite obviously has serious flaws. Their history on this board isn't good to begin with.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

I'm not sure that I agree with that. I do take your point but I also like to see information about new products, good or bad. I do like the look of the crankset although I wouldn't choose to buy one and I think that's the point. It's your choice whether or not you want to buy one and the more information we have both with positive and negative feedback the more educated a decision you can make when choosing to buy the crankset (or not). Better than buying blind from having no information whatsoever?

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I say thread should stay open as a lesson to buyers; know what you are getting yourself into when looking at new parts, and learn to identify the warning signs, such as designs changing at launch.

For manufacturers, it should stand as a lesson in how not to launch a product.

Mimizk

by Mimizk

I can understand your opinion, Stephen.
Ofcourse I enjoy manufatures' new products on many forums too.
But in this case, on this particular thread, I agree for KWalker.

All of the things are matter of degree.

How do you know about this company, Ciamillo?

He has been mistaked many many cases between all over the world customers.
If customer broke the parts and send back to Ciamillo for repair, probably it never back again.
He often tell a lie, I know my friend who bought Ciamillo's brake calipers and pay its money though couldn't receive the parts for 3months over.
He emailed and called to Ciamillo not a few times and Ciamillo answered him but Ciamillo broke the promises entirely.
In my case, he overed the date of delivery less than 2months.
And he has not payed my money back still now.
The price is 1100$.

And now, as you know what in this forum, his products caused many of problems.
So I agree for KWalker in this case ad hoc.

He and his work lack professional ethics particularly.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

I've known about Ciamillo ever since they released the very first 0G brake set. I don't know Ted or the company on a personal level, but I've heard a lot about them over the years and had a couple of brief but ok dealings.

Obviously you've had some very poor dealings with Ciamillo. I think that in itself is a reason for keeping threads like this open. Firstly, I like to see the products, whether new, innovative or both. Then I like to hear about how well they work or how badly they work. Then I like to hear about good customer experiences with sales or bad experiences. Simply, I like to hear about any factual information in relation to bicycle parts and their purchase/operation. I think if we close threads that are full of sensible, factual information and feedback then forums will become less interesting. Of course we don't want pages of name calling, or silly comments, but riders experiences, to me at least, are very important.

Now, back to this crankset :D

Mimizk

by Mimizk

Certainly it should be esteamed that imformation is there.
In fact I feel happy in such this thread.
It's good only to see.
But I've said that this company (he runs Ciamillo only himself) lack ethicks too badly.

Don't keep the date of delivery
Don't keep almost promises
Tell a lie in many times
Don't reply from customers email

Probably I don't say such this thing if only his products have problems.
But you should think about it in separately that your fun to read about new products and his unethically work.

lewolive

by lewolive

Well, I'm riding the Ciamillo crank now, and for now it looks great. The finish in black powder coat seems the best I have ever seen on a crank.
For now, I don't want to supply large quantities in Europe because I still want to ride more with this technical product.
I have tried the crank at 1300W and for now everything looks great, I trust the product despite it may not complete fatigue test of 20000km. I would ride it in competition without any doubt.
It's tightened to 200 inch/lb with strong nuts.

About Ted's business, I agree that he his unable to reply to 200 or 300 emails a day. Actually it would be possible, but without spending a large part of the day with programming the machines and assembling some parts together. You just need to understand that he's in a R&D step, to recover the situation that was his own a few years ago. As I have spent one week with him at the factory, I'm sure that the R&D step is almost over. New GSL's are almost ready, and even if it's not a weight revolution, you'll see that it's a product that is going to match with the 2014 market standards of the brakes.

I don't want to make my own promotion, but in terms of supply, I suggest to proceed like that:
-US sales: ciamillo.com
-Europe sales: ciamillo.eu
-International sales: your choice

As Ted has not the time and the resources to look after individual after sales service, I advise to ask Ted his availability for US after sales service. For the rest of the world, especially Europe, the after sales service is done in France. www.ciamillo.eu
As a certified distributor, we assemble hundreds of brakes a year and have in stock more small parts than Ted has got himself (because he can produce his own parts whereas we need to wait for his production).

So, primary businesses are the followings:
-Ciamillo.com: production, sales
-Ciamillo.eu: sales, after sales service (ciamillo.eu is legally independent from ciamillo.com)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

lewolive wrote:Well, I'm riding the Ciamillo crank now, and for now it looks great. The finish in black powder coat seems the best I have ever seen on a crank.
For now, I don't want to supply large quantities in Europe because I still want to ride more with this technical product.
I have tried the crank at 1300W and for now everything looks great, I trust the product despite it may not complete fatigue test of 20000km. I would ride it in competition without any doubt.

About Ted's business, I agree that he his unable to reply to 200 or 300 emails a day. Actually it would be possible, but without spending a large part of the day with programming the machines and assembling some parts together. You just need to understand that he's in a R&D step, to recover the situation that was his own a few years ago. As I have spent one week with him at the factory, I'm sure that the R&D step is almost over. New GSL's are almost ready, and even if it's not a weight revolution, you'll see that it's a product that is going to match with the 2014 market standards of the brakes.

I don't want to make my own promotion, but in terms of supply, I suggest to proceed like that:

As Ted has not the time and the resources to look after individual after sales service, I advise to ask Ted his availability for US after sales service. For the rest of the world, especially Europe, the after sales service is done in France. http://www.ciamillo.eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As a certified distributor, we assemble hundreds of brakes a year and have in stock more small parts than Ted has got himself (because he can produce his own parts whereas we need to wait for his production).

-Ciamillo.eu: sales, after sales service (ciamillo.eu is legally independent from ciamillo.com)

Problem is what you're told and reality tend to be very different. Before I pulled out I was told (by Ted) shipping would begin in a week or two. That occured over a period of 2-3 weeks in November/December 2012. Read other's experiences with what they were told. A decent summary would be, buy at your own risk, if anything goes wrong, it could be a long time before you're taken care of (or possibly , just "taken".)
Speedplay is the devil!

elfuinha

by elfuinha

lewolive wrote:Well, I'm riding the Ciamillo crank now, and for now it looks great. The finish in black powder coat seems the best I have ever seen on a crank.

As Ted has not the time and the resources to look after individual after sales service, I advise to ask Ted his availability for US after sales service. For the rest of the world, especially Europe, the after sales service is done in France. http://www.ciamillo.eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hello ,
just recieved my BB30 Ciamillo Crank today, the wait was very long but i'm very please with it.
Tomorow i will mount it.
So can anyone that as it in BB30 configuration tell me if a spacer is need on the ND crank arm. My bike is PFBB30.
the spindle of the crank i have is about 80 someting mm.

the crank came with no spacers or shims.
A little help is welcome, please.
Best Regards
Nuno

lewolive

by lewolive

BSA30 cranks are exactly fitting BSA30 bearings, no spacers are required.
BSA cranks can be installed on any other 30mm bearings (BBRight, BB386 evo, BB86, BB30).

You probably have a true BB30, and in that case it's supposed to fit perfectly without spacers.

On my BSA30 installation, the installation is absolutely perfect: the crank is tightened to 200 in/lb, there is no play on the spindle or the spider, and the crank turns very smoothly thanks to ceramic bearings.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

lewolive wrote:BSA30 cranks are exactly fitting BSA30 bearings, no spacers are required.
BSA cranks can be installed on any other 30mm bearings (BBRight, BB386 evo, BB86, BB30).

You probably have a true BB30, and in that case it's supposed to fit perfectly without spacers.

On my BSA30 installation, the installation is absolutely perfect: the crank is tightened to 200 in/lb, there is no play on the spindle or the spider, and the crank turns very smoothly thanks to ceramic bearings.

thanks for your answer but i've got the fillling i don't have true BB30, because the spindle is abouty 87mm, and B30 or PFBB30 is 68, i'm 19 in need off spacer that didn't came with the crank, assuming this is the correct spindle size for this crank.

Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com