Time xpresso pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
glepore

by glepore

good grief-grease them once in a while and even the bushings last. They'll blow out quick dry.

Needle bearings are a nice solution, have to check to see if they're available as a spare part.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Gavf wrote:I wonder why they didn't do that in the first place, it's not like sealed or needle bearings are a new technology.

I weighed the two bushings in at 7grams - http://imgur.com/PtUtkUM

and the 4 cartridge bearings in at 8grams - http://imgur.com/CN1m8m9

a total weight gain of 9grams (I think)

Both pedals are a total of 165grams - http://imgur.com/Pra5JUv

What do yours weigh with the needle bearings out of curiosity?

I've just weighed one of my Time 6 pedals and it comes in at 108 grams, Time on its site states the weight is 102, and I've seen a 2017review where I think the weight is given as a more accurate 213 grams a pair.

by Weenie

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Going from Look pedals @235gr+65gr to Xpresso 12's 155gr+85gr what should I get ready for? No more bunny hops because I'll crash? Cleats wearing out very fast? Cleats falling off the shoes because all screws don't have washers? Cleats including screws are heavier and more expensive? Are the bearings serviceable? Official answer is no but what about the WW answer?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the upgrade. I'm used to 0degree float. 5 degree doesnt sound too bad. Maybe even comfy.

3Pio

by 3Pio

alcatraz wrote:Going from Look pedals @235gr+65gr to Xpresso 12's 155gr+85gr what should I get ready for? No more bunny hops because I'll crash? Cleats wearing out very fast? Cleats falling off the shoes because all screws don't have washers? Cleats including screws are heavier and more expensive? Are the bearings serviceable? Official answer is no but what about the WW answer?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the upgrade. I'm used to 0degree float. 5 degree doesnt sound too bad. Maybe even comfy.

I have ride Time Xpresso 10, then switched to Look Keo Max Carbon (just to check if i like Look), and now im on Look Keo Blade 2 Titanium.

Time Xpresso:

- Cleats including screws are heavier then Look cleats by around 20 gm (if u search the forum i post it before exact weight. If u cant find it, i'll post it tommorow)

- Cleats wearing very fast (i had to replace them like every 1000-1500 km)

- On Bunny Hop i got released from both pedals, i dont know how i did not fall down

- Going uphill and pushing, there is some movemet which i dont like

Look pedals (Blade 2 Ti / Max Carbon)

- Blade 2 Ti Actual Weight: 192 gm

- Max Carbon - 259 gm

- There is some noises with Grip version cleats.

- I just rode 207 km ride with Blade 2 Ti and regular cleats (4.5 deg), and no noises at all

- I prefer the click on Look, no movements that i dont like, someohow im more efficient with Look Blade vs Time Xpresso

If u are used of Look and u like to save some weight, better go for Look Blade Ti. If u dont like the reliability or cracking noises, go to Shimano pedals, but avoid Time Xpresso :)

AJS914

by AJS914

YMMV - I'm a Time pedal fan as I've been using them for 30 years and prefer the way they pivot compared to look. I have a few thousand miles on my cleats and have been thinking about replacing them this year. I've never pulled a foot out yet on my Xpressos. Personally though, I would change pedals systems for a few grams. I'd ride what you are most comfortable with.

Bullet

by Bullet

has anyone tuned their Time iclic cleat hardware with titanium parts? chasing bolts shouldnt be too hard (toronto cycles sells M5 x 8.5mm shallow head black titanium bolts with 10.5mm diameter head) but im wondering about the spacer for the front bolt, it appears to have a slight curve to its profile so its sort of like a spring washer, anyone sourced some of these in titanium?

csf

by csf

I have Xpresso 12TI for almost one year now and really like +/- 5 space, ok maybe strange feeling from beginning as I have before Dura Ace but after 3-4 rides feeling was perfect again- no complains so far

Bullet

by Bullet

Well I decided to do a bit of a craft project and make my own titanium washers, I ordered a small sheet of 1.5mm thick titanium plate and set to work cutting it to size, routing it and rolling a curve into it. The end result was a 3.8 gram saving.

Total savings for me including the titanium bolts was 9.4 grams

Marin

by Marin

Awesome project! =0

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Bullet wrote:Well I decided to do a bit of a craft project and make my own titanium washers, I ordered a small sheet of 1.5mm thick titanium plate and set to work cutting it to size, routing it and rolling a curve into it. The end result was a 3.8 gram saving.

Total savings for me including the titanium bolts was 9.4 grams

Nice work. How tricky is it working titanium?

Bullet

by Bullet

Surprisingly it was quite easy to work with, not too different to steel and definitely softer than stainless steel

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Bullet wrote:Surprisingly it was quite easy to work with, not too different to steel and definitely softer than stainless steel

Thanks for the info. Would titanium bolts work for the cleats?

Bullet

by Bullet

yes they certainly do, toronto cycles sells M5 x 8.5mm shallow head black titanium bolts with 10.5mm diameter head which will do the trick

apctjb

by apctjb

I have owned 2 pairs of Xpresso Xpro 12 pedals. As others have reported developed a clicking noise after just a couple of rides. Intermittent at first, primarily when climbing and progressively loader and more regular with time. Switching to new cleats made no difference. Switching to other brand pedals and the clicking goes away so I know its the pedal.

Has anyone figured out a fix for the clicking noise. Love the weight of these pedals but the clicking noise is annoying, especially after paying so much $$$

by Weenie

cerro

by cerro

Don't know if it's been up before. But is it possible to change axles from a Iclic2 to Xpresso? Got a old set of worn out Iclics and a new set of cheap Xpresso.
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)