Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KCookie

by KCookie

Can anyone point me in the right direction please to get a replacement Xpresso 15 spindle.
I can't seem to find that particular part anywhere.
One of mine has worn badly on the tip where it goes into the small bearing. I've tried to remove the bearing to replace and its completely jammed.
Any advice to remove that would be much appreciated.
No problem at all with the other pedal.Image

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

You might want to try emailing Time direct, they replied to one of my past query pretty promptly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ipaul

by ipaul

Not sure where to get a replacement and have wondered how the spindles vary over the xpresso and XPros of pedals.
One way I removed a stuck bushing was to use a EZ out reverse threaded bit to bite in tight and pull out. May work with the stuck bearing if sized right.
:P

KCookie

by KCookie

Kayrehn wrote:You might want to try emailing Time direct, they replied to one of my past query pretty promptly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cheers.
That was my thoughts to. Been looking for so long without any luck that was the only option left.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Let us know if dealing with Time went out good for you. I have Xpressos 15 as well, would be useful to know for the future.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

KCookie

by KCookie

Yeah no problem at all.
Sent an email this morning so will report back when I get an answer.

tri4autism

by tri4autism

mag wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:38 pm
Yes I did that several times. It isn't that hard. The hardest part for me was to remove the lock ring which still wanted to pop back... :-D Then I used a large and long hex socket (size around 21-24 if I remember - I brought the pedal to a hobby shop and found the best matching one), put a piece of cloth between the socket and that plastic cover and hammered it out. No damage on the plastic.

Similarly I pushed it back in - just used a smaller hex socket (ideally it should touch the inner ring only). It was rather some special one for some car part AFAIK - but generally anything I found suitable in the shop.
In other words drive it off using the plastic cap with some padding? This is my actual pedal spindle... arrows drawn for where I'm thinking you're saying to drive it from???

I bought a ceramic bearing used in RC race cars... less than $10 where Ceramic Speed wants over $100 for a single bearing.

Getting the snap ring off was an easier process with an extra set of hands. I clamped the spindle in a vise with some padding to protect the threads.. used two small flat bladed screwdrivers to push the open part of the washer away from each other and the washer bowed out on the back side... had someone else slide a small flat head under that and then use another run around... kind of like removing a clincher tire with irons. Popped out of the groove and then you just move it down the shaft.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg

mag

by mag

^ Yes, use some soft material to protect the plastic and hammer it out. It should go pretty easily, one or two moderate strokes.

ipaul

by ipaul

Interested in the bearing you purchased. May want to upgrade with a quality bearing similar to Ceramic Speed. Not sure I can locate one for $10.

tri4autism

by tri4autism

ipaul wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:19 pm
Interested in the bearing you purchased. May want to upgrade with a quality bearing similar to Ceramic Speed. Not sure I can locate one for $10.
I just got it in the mail yesterday so haven't installed it yet... super smooth and appears to be the same sort as the Ceramic Speed. A hybrid ceramic bearing.

https://www.acerracing.com/products/12x ... 01-bearing

Back on a general question about these pedals... what are people's thoughts on needle bearings (HK0810) vs. pressing on three bearings on the shaft?

ipaul

by ipaul

I tried the needle bearings and wasn't thrilled with then back the normal style. Felt rough but could be the quality I used.

tri4autism

by tri4autism

So I drove off the inner bearing... large socket, block of wood, a thin rag to pad the plastic ring and it came off on the second or third hit with a hammer. I didn't have to hit it very hard.... appreciate the feedback on doing this as I was hesitant to just start whacking away at my pedals.

I then used a deep socket that matched up with the outer flange of the new bearing and drove it on. I know that isn't ideal from the outer ring but none of my sockets cleared the shaft on the inner part.

The new bearing is an improvement over the CS bearing as it had a few spots I could feel catching. Will try to clean the CS bearing and repack it... will see on that one.

I snapped a few pics... gray seal bearing is the new bearing and the blue seal is CeramicSpeed bearing. Also snapped a pic to show the spacer that is behind the bearing in case someone wonder what is going on under the cap that you can't see.

Happy with the bearing I bought as well, spins plenty good for a pedal... the heel of the pedal drops where it should so :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG-6974.jpg
IMG-6975.jpg

tri4autism

by tri4autism

KCookie wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:37 pm
Can anyone point me in the right direction please to get a replacement Xpresso 15 spindle.
I can't seem to find that particular part anywhere.
One of mine has worn badly on the tip where it goes into the small bearing. I've tried to remove the bearing to replace and its completely jammed.
Any advice to remove that would be much appreciated.
No problem at all with the other pedal.Image

I e-mailed Time USA and they got back to me in about a week... answered my questions and gave me pricing for replacement parts I requested. Didn't price the spindles as mine are good. Otherwise there are solid titanium 3rd party options on e-Bay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-L-Titanium-P ... 3011134047

They obviously make the hollow one 3rd party sold in the Costelo pedals, but I've not seen it for sale separately.

So what is in the Xpresso 15 that you can't remove? Is it a bushing or needle bearing? Two methods I've seen for removing things in a blind hole of sorts is hydraulic... pump some grease in the end and then jam a wooden dowel that is a tight fit into the bearing and it will drive the bearing up. Second is to use some sort of expansion screw, like used in drywall screw to expand in the bearing/bushing and then pull it out...

That's quite a bit of wear on the end of that spindle!

KCookie

by KCookie

Many thanks for the reply.
Time France still haven't replied to my email from 8 days ago so I might try USA.

Yes it the bearing that goes on the end of the spindle thats stuck inside the pedal.

The other side came out easy but the other is jammed solid, seems to have worn into the plastic. Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipaul

by ipaul

Could you post the OEM size needle bearing that was on your xpresso 15's? My older 12's had a plastic bushing and now that they appear to be using needle bearings, curious the stock equipped size being used.