Finally the rim I've been waiting to talk about.Pacenti SL23

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

I would like to know more about how the wheel was assembled with riders see this problem.

Was grease used in between the nipple and the rim? Oil? Nothing?

What were the methods of stress relieving used?

Tension?

I ask because I hear about many of these failures here and and no one's contacted me. I had one go early on, but I was also adding a chamfer to the holes. It could very well have been partially my fault in that case. Other than that, nothing. Man I really hope I'm not jinxing myself! I know I've sent out a lot of wheels with those rims and still continue to have confidence in recommending them.

Curious George

by Curious George

My builder got back to me and they will be replacing the rim free of charge :)
He advised that they have had two other failures from rims in the same batch (no mention of spoke count)
I won't name the builder, but they can jump in and provide further information should they choose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tristan

by Tristan

Curious George wrote:I won't name the builder, but they can jump in and provide further information should they choose.

If I'm putting two and two together correctly this is one of our wheels? We've had three of these SL23s crack and all were built from the same batch so hopefully it's isolated to that. I stand behind all our wheels and we'll replace the rim and spoke nipples and cover return freight.

Ergott wrote:I would like to know more about how the wheel was assembled with riders see this problem.
Was grease used in between the nipple and the rim? Oil? Nothing?
What were the methods of stress relieving used?
Tension?

We've built a few hundred pairs of SL23s so to see 3 failures isn't a worrying statistic, however I sincerely hope that these are isolated cases!! 1 was a 24 hole, 2 were 28h.

We use a form of grease between the nipple and rim. The rims are de-burred. I won't go into stress-relieving but it's a process which has built a few thousand wheels and doesn't cause any problems. Tension is 120kgf when they leave here, and will be a bit lower once the tyre is inflated. We've got the ability to check and calibrate tension meters so I know that tension is accurate and correct.

As I said - hopefully these are just from a batch and I've got no problems with continuing to recommend the SL23 and we'll continue to use them.

-Tristan
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

Titanium22

by Titanium22

Has anyone had cracks in the V2 Pacenti sl23?

shonanmike

by shonanmike

No cracks on mine. Built with Tune hubs and CX-Ray spokes.

Be aware, however, that when the tubeless tire bead clicks into the rim, the rim will be compressed and the spoke tensions will drop by 10-20%.

Rgds,