Going the wrong way!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thprice

by thprice

I had similar problems with the Gum Gum ... in the end I swapped over to Extralite Ultrastar 2 ... chalk and cheese, also just 7g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I just put lizard skins dsp 2.5 on my bike and love it. It's 56 grams or 50 for the 1.8 thickness. I think that's about as light as they get or is that Fizik in the forties?

Either way I was goog to get Fizik but ended up liking the tackiness of the skins more than I thought.

I am also of the opinion that the gloss black looks great with carbon handlebars and record shifters.

1spd

by 1spd

Ergosum bar finally showed up! Took just over 4 weeks. Weighed in at 213g. Can't complain too much really. I also picked up some s-works tape about 2 weeks ago so I now have everything I need to make the swap. I was going to do the work yesterday but the wife had a hard day at work (she worked from home...how hard can that be?). In any case, I figured it best to push it off for the time bening but will see if I can get it done tonight. Also picked my rear wheel up from the shop a week or so ago after getting it trued up. I went ahead and put the lighter set of wheels back on the bike and installed my new Far and Near cassette lock ring (5g vs the stock campy one at 14g). The bike currently weighs in at 16.7 lbs or 7.47kg w/ ti railed, leather wrapped SLR saddle. We'll see if the bar, cable, and tape swap make much of any difference.

Not going to lie...can't believe I'm saying this...but I really just want to ride the damn bike at this point. I haven't been out on a ride on it in over 2 weeks now! The weather has pretty much sucked lately and bike weight is the last thing on my mind. I just want to ride!
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

1spd

by 1spd

Damn, just looked up an old picture of the ITM bar I'm taking off and it weighed 207g new (before I stripped it-now at 198g). Basically I'm adding weight now! Oh well, I will take the bike in an effort to have a better fit/comfort. Oh well!

1spd

by 1spd

Well, took a break from riding for about 2 or so months while I went back to the gym. Was getting frustrated with how much muscle I lost over the winter (when I am normally in the gym-but since we didn't have much of a winter I wasn't lifting, I was riding). In any case, put some muscle back on and am now back out on the bike again.

Over the past month I did a little more tweaking on the bike. Picked up a Tune headset, Lizard Skin tape, 10 spd Record shifters, new Hoodz lever covers (celleste...of course-black tape), Bontrager carbon post (more on that later), nerw Jag Wire cable set. I think that is about it. Weighed the bike tonight w/ the tir railed, leather coated SLR and got a weight of 16.03. So I dropped about 4 oz which isn't bad when you figure in the fact that my Ergosum bar weighed more than the ITM and the cables were heavier as well. But the levers and headset made up for it I guess.

The seat post once cut down only weighed in about 7g more than the KCNC I took off. I swapped it out because the stupid clamp kept putting holes in my shorts. I basically had the seat slid all the way back and the SLR is pretty narrow so my inner quads were rubbing on the upper clamp. After 3 pairs of shorts ruined I decided it was cheaper to replace the damn post!

Love the old 10 spd Record levers over the Centaur's. The V3 levers definitely feel a little better but the functionality of the Records in addition to the weight savings (totally forgot to weigh them but I do recall looking them up once before and they definitely weigh less). The shifts are more crisp and I love the ability to jump more than one gear at a time.

I'll snap a couple pictures of the bike on the scale tomorrow and hopefully get it posted up shortly after.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

thprice wrote:I had similar problems with the Gum Gum ... in the end I swapped over to Extralite Ultrastar 2 ... chalk and cheese, also just 7g.

Same here. Tried the gum-gum and it didn't work. Went to ultrastar and 6-7 years later I'm still using it.
Speedplay is the devil!

1spd

by 1spd

Well, I must admit that I am a little stumped at this point. I am highly disappointed w/ my Park scale. I weighed the bike a month ago as noted above and got 16 lbs 3 oz. Today my new to me Strong Lite carbon crank w/ ti Token bb arrived. Advertised at 610g and weighed in at 614g on my scale. I pulled my Chorus compact 10spd crank and cups and threw it on the scale. Weight came in at 736g. So naturally I was/am frickn stoked! I installed the new crank, stripped the Garmin and saddle bag (same way I weigh it every time) and threw it on the Park scale. WTF! 16 lbs 4 oz! How in the hell is that frickn possible? I mean I literally pulled 122g off the bike. That should be a quarter lb! How the hell did I go up in weight? Stupid frickn scale!

None the less, I got a larger small ring (went from a 34 to a 38) but still have a 50t for the big ring. Took it out for a ride and am quite happy over all. I shot a couple picks of the bike now that it has had quite a few little upgrades but the wife is working on the other computer that I need to upload them. Will shoot to get them up tomorrow.

So if I want to keep my Bianchi I will need to swap out some other things. In short I would need to be shooting for items that drop 100g or more. That means a different fork, another set of wheels, and brakes. None of which are cheap though the brakes are probably the cheapest since I could pick up a set of KCNC's or even some Planet X for around $200 or so. The fork will run me around $400 or so and the wheels, well, the sky is the limit there not that I have Sky (not pun intended) money. Oh well, the bike rides great and is pretty frickn light for a steel frame.

1spd

by 1spd

I measured my fork this afternoon and it came in at 23.3mm internal. Technically a Tune Gum Gum should work. I agree though, the ultra star will most likely work better. I slapped the gum gum on the bike again today. Basically the hs was already tightened up so I just pulled the expander and slapped the gum gum in there. We'll see if things stay tight after tomorrow ride. If not I'm sure I'll be placing an order here soon!

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Deda tape has the nastiest glue on the underside. Leaves horrific amounts of gunk and torn bits of foam when you take it off your bars.

Fizik or Supacaz.

1spd

by 1spd

Well after a 42 mile ride this morning I am quite happy with the set up. The cranks started creaking towards the end so I will need to have a look at all thread surfaces to see if they need grease or if perhaps the chain ring bolts are a little loose. Overall it was a good ride and the gearing change really didn't bother me too much though I was able to stay on the small ring a little longer than I'm used to. So here's a pic I shot with my phone while on the ride. Quality may not be that good but the obligatory garage door pic hasn't been downloaded from the camera just yet.

1spd

by 1spd

Well, for my seat post I am running a KCNC ti pro that has been cut down w/ a smud lower cradle. Weighs in at 131g I believe. No creaking and it frickn works. I'm happy with my seat though on the heavy side of things. I like the little bit of padding that it provides but if I were to change it I would go back to an Fizik carbon railed version. For wheels, I don't know and I don't really have any plans for those right away as I have two sets of wheels for the bike as it is and would rather just focus on some of the other things. Fork, had a Look before and was really happy with it. The stock Bianchi fork on the bike weighs in at about 386g so there is room for improvements.