Show me Your Tuning!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

TheKaiser wrote:
WILLIAMDENYS wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:50 pm
Tried my first time modifying something myself (just a test so not very properly done) made some brake shoes bit lighter... doesnt look very nice but saved the weight... this was an old set of brake shoes so will be doing this more nicely with better shoesImageImageImage
Looks pretty decent. Out of curiosity, have you mounted them on the bike and given them a squeeze yet? Curious if the rubber pad material has a tendency to bulge out in that larger cutout opposite the pad retention screw.
No... just did this today and have to test it. I think the pad will not be very stuck in it because the lips are really not thick...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
- ridley fenix sl 105 - not lightweight
- sworks tarmac sl 5 r8050 di2 - vision tc 24 wheels = 7,1kg

by Weenie

jorisee01

by jorisee01

WILLIAMDENYS wrote:Tried my first time modifying something myself (just a test so not very properly done) made some brake shoes bit lighter... doesnt look very nice but saved the weight... this was an old set of brake shoes so will be doing this more nicely with better shoesImageImageImage

Nice!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Looks pretty good. Please share your next attempt - curious to see how much you'd save on a nice light pad holder.

Couldn't you replicate the cut out on the opposite side of the mounting bolt? And ditch the unnecessary hardware!

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

4ibanez wrote:Looks pretty good. Share your next attempt - curious to see how much you'd save on a nice light pad holder.
Did cut the weight in half here but without the pad holder bolts... which i think i dont need. If i put the brake pad in right when i brake i just tighten it on.

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

4ibanez wrote:Looks pretty good. Please share your next attempt - curious to see how much you'd save on a nice light pad holder.

Couldn't you replicate the cut out on the opposite side of the mounting bolt? And ditch the unnecessary hardware!
Yes i think if i drill those 2 holes a bit bigger and then dremel it out again i’ll be saving some 2 grams over the 4 pads. I’m still going to try this but i think i will lose some strength of the brake shoe.