Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

+1 monchito! Ridiculously cool!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

artray

by artray

Im enjoying the Wally and Weenie show very much . :thumbup:
We need some pics of Wallys Bike . :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1spd

by 1spd

Hmmmm, I have a chepie Merek full carbon saddle but don't particularly care for the shape. On the other hand, I have a SLR XP saddle that has Vanox rails and basically double padding. I am wondering if I can somehow trim out the carbon rails from both saddles and then put the carbon rails onto the SLR after stripping it down of all the padding.

Well, I pretty much know it can be done but don't know what I need to use to reiforce the rails or what epoxy to use. Basically, I'm not sure how to go about it once I get the rails separated. I do know that the rear angle mounting points on the two rails is different so they couldn't just plug back in if you will.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

wally318

by wally318

I'll try to get some updated pics in the next day or 2 with a link to an album for
some more HD pics. Problem is that at my place at this time of year not so great
lighting for pics and not enough room for good background.
Any suggestions?
AEROLITUS-defender of the faith

artray

by artray

Wally , it would be cool just to see your bike even if the photos are not perfect .
Enjoying the thread and some great tuning going on :thumbup:

1spd

by 1spd

Just made a how-to thread for this but here it is anyway. Not the most beautiful and it still needs some clean up work. But it started out at 186g and now weighs 113g.

rsz_dsc_0908.jpg

rsz_dsc_0915.jpg

rsz_dsc_0922.jpg

Thanks to some pointers and direction from fellow board members

wally318

by wally318

Hi 1 spd. What is holding the rails at the front? Hard to tell from the pic.
Is it some sort of socket, like at the rear but double wide for the wishbone?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Hmmmm.... I'm wondering if a similar rail-mod can be done to my old Specialized Toupe (Ti rail) saddles.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

1spd

by 1spd

Wally318: Yes, the saddle shell has three little pockets if you will. The front one is larger just as you noted. Here is a closer picture of it.

rsz_dsc_0916.jpg

wally318

by wally318

1spd looks like it should work quite well. Did it take some prodding to get the rails into their sockets?
Keep us updated as to road testing.

1spd

by 1spd

I basically just used the black cutting wheel on my dremil and used it as a sander if you will. I simply tried to get it in, if it didn't fit then I marked it with a sharpie and sanded some more or did some trimming and tried again. Just takes time and patients.

Did a little more work on it this evening. Basically I worked on cleaning up some of the scratches and stuff. I started with 600 grit sand paper and worked my way up thru 1000, 1500, and ended at 2000. Once done, I broke out the rubbing compound from the car cleaning bin. That really smoothed out all the little sanding marks but at the same time it got into some of the larger smoothed out scratches. I then went at it with a tooth brush and got most of it out. I figure the rest of it will simply wear off after some riding time.

I did mount it up today and took a spin around the neighborhood trying to hit bumps and so far so good. Will try to get out on a ride tomorrow at some point. Might take my other seat with me just in case.

wally318

by wally318

So what does the seat weigh now?
What did the carbon rails weigh, did you weigh them alone before mounting?

1spd

by 1spd

the clean up and sanding didn't take off any weight. I really didn't go at it too hard around the epoxy as I want to leave as much of it on there until I can determine if this thing is going to hold up or not. Seriously though, I don't think I will drop much more off of it.

I did not actually weigh the rails (guess I was too wrapped up in getting it done-my lack of patients took over). I can say that the saddle stripped with the Vanox rails weighed in at 146g and now with the carbon rails it weighs 113g. So if you include the epoxy the math works out to be about 30g and I would guess that at the most there is 5g of epoxy. I'm sure there are lighter rails out there on different saddles especially since they came off a cheaper saddle.

Rode about 20 miles today over what I would consider some rougher roads and it held up fine. I did take my Aspide with me in my jersey pocket just incase something went wrong.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

@1spd, NICELY DONE! I like how easy it was to swap, my SLR (carbon railled tuned was 106grams but im looking to frther tune the hole in the middle as i dont think its wide enough...

@Wally318 seriously, we need a poicture im dying here!!

A few projects on the go at the moment. An update to my PlaySpeed tune, a ISP Setback clamp for less the 20grams and some <1 gram rainbow barrel adjuster for my good friend Anton Cooper, Junior World MTB Champ, + some german colours for the German National Junior XC champ Martin Frey. Anyone know where to get coloured Delrin / Acetal? Details to come! :beerchug:
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

totoboa

by totoboa

wally318 wrote:Actually it is NEEDED. How many posts/threads have you seen on here in the last month or 2 about some ultralight components that some of the members are working on or making themselves. This is what this forum is really about. Not just how wide can I open my wallet
for a carbon peice of eye candy. It is NEEDED. It may help to inspire some of the newer,
younger members on this forum to come up with ideas/projects of their own.
AND... we won't see posts like:What colour handlebar tape should I use? Or... Help me spend
$1000.00 .

Laughing my $$ off.