Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jroy

by jroy

Since this thread has been dormant for a while, and it and Berk's thread are primarily the reasons I lurked and eventually set up an account:

I'll add my bike. Not really "tuning" more of a fabrication.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

jroy wrote:Since this thread has been dormant for a while, and it and Berk's thread are primarily the reasons I lurked and eventually set up an account:

Very impressive work. How much did it weigh, is this your first frame build. You should really start its own thread with a build report.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

artray wrote:There is already loads of tuning posts . This is not needed .

Judge!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

Keep them coming guys this is awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jroy

by jroy

NiFTY wrote:
jroy wrote:Since this thread has been dormant for a while, and it and Berk's thread are primarily the reasons I lurked and eventually set up an account:

*clipped*

Very impressive work. How much did it weigh, is this your first frame build. You should really start its own thread with a build report.

Thank you. It was my first build. Frame weighed 1464g including the 113g Paragon dropouts. It has a steel headtube and bottom bracket, and I over built it for safety. Total build as pictured was 7,890g / 17.39 lb
I may do a build thread for the next frames.

chris47

by chris47

Good to see this thread back up again!
Anyways, here is my latest creation:
It was my first attempt with carbon fiber so it looks a bit rough, and it is absolutely overbuilt.
It is based off a fizik arione and weighs 180 grams

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

chris47 wrote:Good to see this thread back up again!
Anyways, here is my latest creation:
It was my first attempt with carbon fiber so it looks a bit rough, and it is absolutely overbuilt.
It is based off a fizik arione and weighs 180 grams

I spy some knobblies in the background of that picture, hows the rigid post / saddle combo perform on a MTB? considering a Berk for my Epic HT...

Any plans for a V2? Looks like an impressive first attempt!!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

chris47

by chris47

The seatpost-saddle combo works well offroad, but you definitely feel some more trail buzz (you can lower the tire pressure to get some more comfort though). I think it is important to get the right shape otherwise it will be a nightmare. The arione is not that mtb friendly due to the long shape but it is the only saddle that i can survive riding on.

jroy

by jroy

weeracerweenie wrote:

Version #2 is in the works. Geo will be nearly the same but the frame will be full carbon no steel HT and BB or aluminum dropouts. Currently finalizing details before starting the build.

AZR3

by AZR3

jroy wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:

Version #2 is in the works. Geo will be nearly the same but the frame will be full carbon no steel HT and BB or aluminum dropouts. Currently finalizing details before starting the build.

Then just add eTap and you'll have one clean custom created ride :thumbup:

jroy

by jroy

AZR3 wrote:
jroy wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:

Then just add eTap and you'll have one clean custom created ride :thumbup:

That certainly would simplify it. Unfortunately, I've been throwing my whole budget at composites and tooling...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

jroy wrote:Version #2 is in the works. Geo will be nearly the same but the frame will be full carbon no steel HT and BB or aluminum dropouts. Currently finalizing details before starting the build.

Don't forget cable mounts, a bit cleaner than electrical tape

111OCT111

by 111OCT111

This thread is very inspiring! It even made post here. Long time lurker.
I have one of these cranksets:
The thing is 730ish grams with compact spider/chainrings.
I want to make it lighter. Does anyone knows if the arms are hollow? Cant find
any info on that, but it doesn't say so on any related manuals, literature.
I already stripped the thing with the blade method, but wouldn't mind being more aggressive
to shave grams. I wouldn't care much if I thrash it as a result of this tuning attempt, and to be safe
I will test it on my direct drive trainer before hitting the road, that way I can leave it on my trainer only
bike, generate relatively high wattage with it during sprint drills, and only put it on my "outdoor" bike when I feel confident.
Any suggestions?
-Drill the spindle (sounds bad)
-Drill the carbon (really bad)
-Shave carbon from it, making it look more like the updated version of this crank - it is the old incarnation of sram's S950, rebranded Bontrager race lite x -
I could try to make it more "flat-ish", just like the current S900/S950, but I would only have a shot at it , if someone confirms it is made of solid carbon.
Any thing else I could do to it?
Another note: I cant find any BSA GXP BB lighter than 80 grams. What Am I missing?

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

To the above post; I broke a collar bone as a result of a crankset failure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Re: Modifying Carbon cranks, id never touch them in anyway other than stripping paint. I’ve snapped in modified crank arms and got lucky not hurting myself. No reason to increase the risk. Save some $$ and get some better cranks.
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?