Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liketoride

by liketoride

yes i was talking about you. I was trying to get your system because i was going to do everest up a very steep hill and needed all the gears you had. thank you for showing

liketoride

by liketoride

i ended up doing sram red etap with a road link and was able to get a 11-40 ultegra cassett on the back, not the best going down the hill but perfect going up the hill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

liketoride wrote:i ended up doing sram red etap with a road link and was able to get a 11-40 ultegra cassett on the back, not the best going down the hill but perfect going up the hill
Glad you found a solution! My new Ekar wireless is running super smooth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

liketoride

by liketoride

i said the wrong cassett, i was using a shimano 11-40 xtr cassett

Agera

by Agera

Hello everyone, I wanted to show you my humble attempt at a lighter cassette, but made cheap and easy.
Starting from my Ultegra 6800 11-25t cassette at about 221.3g, I wanted something lighter, still being relatively safe, and without having to spend hundreds.
Complete 6800.jpg
These are the stock 13t/14t/15t you get.
13t 6800.jpg
old 14t.jpg
old 15t.jpg
Can it be better? Absolutely. So, after using the 14t/15t cogs of the 7900 Dura-Ace(on a 9v cassette I had on my old bike), I decided to take out the drill and attempt to get something futher than that...
14t.jpg
15t.jpg
Along with a spare 13t from the same cassette(this time not from a DA 7900)
13t.jpg
It's getting somewhere already.
However this is where a chinese alloy-steel cassette who I paid 25€ shipping included, came to my help.
The cassette (A Meroca branded one, but it also goes named as ZTTO SLR2) weighted by itself about 209g, which is already satisfactory for a 11-28t.
The steel cogs weren't great in quality, however as for the alloy unit..
21t-23t-25t-28t.jpg
Compared to the 21-23-25t 6800 spider, it's another step further.
21t-23t-25t.jpg
Putting it all together(with the 17-19t 6800 unit still not drilled), I got something really nice, worth all the hours drilling the hardened steel
Complete.jpg
But does it work, and is it safe?
For a guy like me, weighting 63kg and putting out no more than 240w for an hour(with a cadence between 90-95 rpm), I'd say yes.
It's been on my bike for more than 5000 km, and so far no cogs snapped or got damaged in any way, and it's not like I held back while sprinting or pushing..
Shifting performance hasn't decreased either.
There you go then, this is a way to get an 11-28t cassette, lighter and cheaper than the Dura Ace series.

Notes:
-As you read, I changed the cogs in the cassette, going from the 11-25t, to an 11-28t, removing the 16t which also helped in shedding down weight.
-I used the 7900 cogs because they were already lighter, so I went for an easier way. Yet, if you look closely enough, and have the tools to do so, you could machine the 6800 ones to become exactly as the 7900(i didn't do that because I have just a drill, and pinching that metal is impossible for me to do precisely)
-I have yet to drill the 17t-19t sprockets, and I'll probably do it when I manage to get my hands on a spare unit, in case anything goes wrong. If I'm correct, I could further reduce the weight by more than a pair of grams
-All these cogs are still pretty solid, you could probably take a step further and enlarge the holes some more, but for me it just not worth the increased risk of snapping them
-I used the aluminum cogs on climbs for a total of 250km, and so far I can't notice any mark of digging of the chain

If you have thoughts or suggestions on how this could be improved, feel free to tell me

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:13 am
WIP. I've ruined my nails :(
How much did you save, do slotted levers feel OK?

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:05 pm
jpeterson1012 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:13 am
WIP. I've ruined my nails :(
How much did you save, do slotted levers feel OK?
They feel fine. I saved something like 5.5g per lever. it's a small tune, honestly half the reason I did it was for that "WW xTrEmE" look lol. it was mostly saved from removing clear coat and shortening by ~18mm.

In hindsight, If I were to do it again, I would actually use my brain and make the slots into triangular trusses instead of simply copying what previous generations of WWs did (facepalm)

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Imagebackstory first: I got 2020 Specialized Roubaix Sport as my first serious bike in spring 2020 when all my travel plans got cancelled by Covid. Long story short, I got hooked on cycling and got a lot of fun just tinkering and upgrading parts Image bike came with 105 and alloy wheels, now I have 12s ultegra di2 and totl dt Swiss carbon wheels. I got 20k more km’s in, turns out I’m pretty fast too and I started thinking of getting more aggressive position and stiffer front end (Roubaix has this future shock suspension for handlebars) but I just love this bike and can’t justify getting SL7 or something similar with current prices.

So I designed a thing that goes into the fork instead of future shock cartridge and got it machined out of 7075 aluminum. Result: 20mm lower stack, stiff, 158g less, + got my beloved roubaix into more aggressive setup than most tarmacs for really cheap Image

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Wow has been a while since someone posted in one of the most interesting thread here - that's a cool idea, kind of a downgrade seemingly but great for your purpose I guess, very nice!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Wow very cool mod. Bike looks really good, had tl look twice as it looks like and sl6 now.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

All home made.

Seatpost was recently tuned with a Darimo T1 loop like system 91g as pictured, I’m using laces from a Salomon shoe Image, it seems to hold up just fine, maybe I few turns on the bolts until the rope is fully stretched out, but so far I don’t see why it would break, worse case I could double the amount of laces looping to double the strength.

The saddle is a $33 purchase on eBay, 90g stock, but now is at 80g with added pads, and some shaping mod.

Post is bonded to the frame for now, realistically once I find the height, there really isn’t a reason to change and be messing with clamps.

This setup is on my mountain climb specific road bike, currently sitting at 11.38lbs/5159g, with disc brakes, electronic shifting and a Cervelo C3 frame/fork that clears up to 34mm gravel tires.

Original Stock saddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

e4rthm0ver wrote:Image
Imagebackstory first: I got 2020 Specialized Roubaix Sport as my first serious bike in spring 2020 when all my travel plans got cancelled by Covid. Long story short, I got hooked on cycling and got a lot of fun just tinkering and upgrading parts Image bike came with 105 and alloy wheels, now I have 12s ultegra di2 and totl dt Swiss carbon wheels. I got 20k more km’s in, turns out I’m pretty fast too and I started thinking of getting more aggressive position and stiffer front end (Roubaix has this future shock suspension for handlebars) but I just love this bike and can’t justify getting SL7 or something similar with current prices.

So I designed a thing that goes into the fork instead of future shock cartridge and got it machined out of 7075 aluminum. Result: 20mm lower stack, stiff, 158g less, + got my beloved roubaix into more aggressive setup than most tarmacs for really cheap Image
What stem is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk