SRAM Hydraulic Disk Brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

Not sure why the logos are taped, but that 'spy' photo is of one of Tim Johnsons bike who races for the Cannondale p/b CyclocrossWorld CX team. I say Spy photo because that image was taken in the back of the team trailer while it was parked in the infield at the USGP Derby City Cup and team owner Stu Thorne kept hidden when the media/press were in the area and was very adamant no photos were allowed. This may be due to the fact that the bike was built using the disc prototype frame Tim raced last season and not the current 2013 SuperX disc frames the team is currently racing.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

VNTech

by VNTech

That's a very bad angle on the hydro levers, they don't look quite as bad in person.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Some more SRAM Hyd disc setup.

Likely to be called HydroR

Spotted: SRAM Red hydraulic discs win CXLA

Calipers look nice and slim. Levers are tall, but not that bad. It certainly wouldn't stop me from buying and installing the setup !!

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Calipers look great, levers look positively hideous. Is there any info on the system weight?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Hmm wonder if they could have tipped those hoods slightly more forward at the top? Might make it not look quite so tall and not such a straight up and hand down hand position maybe. I wonder how much taller than a normal Red hood they are?

maddog 2

by maddog 2

the ugliest bike part in five, no ten, years? Imagine that on a Specialized frame...

Discs is a great idea though - well done SRAM for getting them to market.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I don't see how they're any more ridiculous looking than 7800 shifters. I really hope SRAM are working on hydro shifting as well. I'd rather see that than another electronic group.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ditto to both of the statements above.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

apLe

by apLe

Well, I'm not a fan of those levers nor disc brakes in road bikes, but let's see how it's going to evolve...
18' R5 coming soon...

MortenE

by MortenE

Wow, those are ugly..

eurperg

by eurperg

Imagine a Specialized Roubaix disc bike with a ten-inch head tube, spacer tower plus SRAM hydraulic levers. :shock:

...and saddle nose pointing down.

jaketim114

by jaketim114

Why would you want Hydraulic SHIFTING? I can understand for better braking (and maybe more modulation), but shifting is indexed, so its not like any of that would matter. hydraulic shifting would also likely add weight.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

levers aren't like AWESOME , but they are fine in my books. way better than having a little black box under your stem....

apLe

by apLe

Or a lunch box under your bb or between cages ;)

18' R5 coming soon...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

jaketim114 wrote:Why would you want Hydraulic SHIFTING? I can understand for better braking (and maybe more modulation), but shifting is indexed, so its not like any of that would matter. hydraulic shifting would also likely add weight.

Because cables fray, stretch, drag. The cables as well as the springs they pull against are more open to contamination. Their service intervals are far shorter, and their performance tapers over their life. Hydraulics just appear to be a more elegant solution. Set once for consistent operation until it's time to replace the fluid.

As for the weight, I just checked and Acros A-GE is quoted 426g (shifters, derailleurs and lines) and SRAM XX at 482g (shifters and derailleurs only).