Tubular bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mxdclt

by mxdclt

Since recently switching to the world of tubulars (and I love them!) I am now just changing a few things to accommodate it. My current dilemma is the following: Should I get a small bag to put CO2 and rim tape in and put the tubular in my jersey, or should I get a larger saddle bag that will accommodate everything. I am leaning towards getting a larger bag to fit everything just because it is easier to have everything in one spot but I am not sure what size bag I would need. I currently have a Sci Con 430cc bag which is not quite larger enough for the tubi much less anything else. Does anyone know of a good everything bad for tubi's and supplies or if staying with Sci Con (because of their easy on off mounting unit that doesn't rub my bibs) how large of a volume would I need? Thanks for the help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

Some people carry tubulars in their jersey pocket, but you have better use for that pocket, plus the tubular (if it's glued up and presumably a used tire, so somewhat soiled) will tear or soil your jersey. Who has time for that? Also, the tubular should really stay dry.

Most of the bags in the local bike store that are big enough to fit a tubular are pretty short and ugly. You have several alternatives. First, a toe strap (the Binda laminated off-white toe strap is de rigeur, though a double track toe strap can look pretty cool as well) to hold the tire under your saddle does a nice job. There's a cool guy's way to fold the tubular (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7 ... -2283.html) for this application, but you can fold it up any way you want as long as you aren't getting glue all over the bike or the casing of the spare (I know, your glue should be dry, but if you fold it so your gluing surface is pressed against your casing or tread, some glue will transfer). If you're in southern Cali, you can strap it under your saddle without any cover. If you're riding in Central Park these days, you need a little more. Also, a toe strap or whatever you choose to use can cause the tire to chafe, which isn't good.

Next step up is to put the tire in a sock. I always thought that was funky, but some people find it works. It doesn't keep rain off the tire, it's bulky, it doesn't look as sharp as your carbon fiber frame, etc.

Next, get a piece of cordura fabric and wrap the tire neatly in it, then strap it in. This avoids chafing and keeps the tire cleaner.

You can get a Tufo tire bag, actually made for tubular tires and very nicely done (it's actually made by Jandd, who make very nice bags, with the Tufo logo embroidered on it). I believe you can get them still at www.worldclasscycles.com. It holds almost any tubular plus a couple CO2 cartridges, a tire lever or two to get the tubular off, etc. It actually looks like a tubular tire bag used to look, and since part of why we're riding tubulars is to be cool, don't you want it to be obvious?

I personally think there's a really nice way, especially for weight weenies, to do a spare tire. It's the one tire in the Tufo lineup that I really like, the S-3 Pro. It's only 195 grams, it folds down very tiny because there's no stitching and seam under the base tape, and although it's very thin and supple, it's also got a tough rubber that gets you home. Many people use big bulky cheap tubulars as spares, but it's worth it to get one of these, stretch it well (they can be tight to mount the first time), and roll it up tight. Because the casing is synthetic, you don't have any problems if it's rolled up for a year under your saddle. It's small enough to fit in a moderate sized saddle bag and then I simply fasten the whole saddle bag to the saddle rails with that toe strap, which compresses everything very nicely and makes it very secure. You'll hear all kinds of disgust about Tufo tires on this website, but this one tire is really nice for what it is. It isn't a Veloflex Record by a country mile, but it's a light, very compact tire that makes a great spare. Don't knock it.

aerozy

by aerozy

I carry two spare tubulars in a cut open water bottle in my bottle cage. I just need the spare tire to get me home so Im not bothered with it getting wet. Also as I live in a moderate climate I rarely drink more then 1 bottle. Its practical, clean and hassle free.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

cerro

by cerro

preglue it, fold it like 11.4 says and strap it under your seat with or without a bag/sock/plastic around. And get your other stuff in the jerseypockets. Classy and correct, a huge saddlebag is never nice.

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

i use a Jandd bag for tubulars. It's larger and made for tubulars. If you check out the website you'll see it. It has side pocket which fit co2's perfectly. and since it's training i don't mind the extra weight.

by 11.4

aerozy wrote:I carry two spare tubulars in a cut open water bottle in my bottle cage. I just need the spare tire to get me home so Im not bothered with it getting wet. Also as I live in a moderate climate I rarely drink more then 1 bottle. Its practical, clean and hassle free.

I should have mentioned this one as well. It works well if you have a water bottle cage free. Best is to take two bottles and cut one near the bottom, one near the top. Throw away the two short pieces and slice the bottom up the side so it'll compress slightly and slide up into the long top part.

This works well with clinchers and such and is a common solution among European pros (which, of course, makes it the defining method for an reader on this forum, right?). It can be hard to squeeze a tire plus the other stuff into it, but it keeps both your saddle and your jersey pocket clear. Which is also appropriate for the fashionistas on this website.

Thanks for pointing this one out.

thprice

by thprice

Arundel Tubi either under saddle or in jersey pocket.
http://www.arundelbike.com/seat-bags.html

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

11.4 wrote:You can get a Tufo tire bag, actually made for tubular tires and very nicely done (it's actually made by Jandd, who make very nice bags, with the Tufo logo embroidered on it). I believe you can get them still at http://www.worldclasscycles.com
Indeed http://www.tufotires.com/tufo_spare_tire_bag.htm . Also, Madcow (Fairwheel bikes) used to (don't know about currently) sell the Jandd labeled version of this.

mxdclt

by mxdclt

Hey, thanks for the feedback. The water bottle option will not work for me as I frequently ride in 90+ degree weather (southern Louisiana) so I definitely need both of my bottles. I checked out the Jandd bags and while they are nice, they are quite large and I really have no need to carry 2 spare tubi's. I think I will try out just carrying one in the jersey and get a small bag for everything else. However, I will check out the option of getting a lightweight spare (like the Tufo S-3 Pro suggested) and see if I can fit everything into a ~530 cc bag and free up the jersey pocket.

tommasini

by tommasini

Don't over think it.

180ish gram "space saver spare tire" (TT tire with belt) for a very rare flat (once every 3 years or so in my case) goes in the center rear jersey pocket along with a mini pump (much ligher than CO2 and in case of troubles can be used more than once)

If you really need that jersey space then move the tubbie to the seat rails with lightweight velcro strap.

keith

by keith

I never carry a spare tubular - just some sealant and a small pump. In all my years of riding on tubs (around 4 so far) I've only had one puncture on the road. The sealant, in a can, worked fine and I carried on for the whole ride. I had to stop and put some air in every 1.5 hours or so,

As for people carrying 2 water bottles. I feel this is unnecessary extra weight. My technique is to carry one bottle and re-fill on route with plain water. On Alpine cols in Europe this works really well.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aerozy

by aerozy

^ Riding with only sealant is risky business. Depends where you live i guess. I rarely get punctures riding around scandinavia but when living in the UK I used to get plenty. I tried sealant to begin with but it never worked, not even once. It adds weight (blasphemy!) and it deems the tubular useless if you want to fix it later. Never really understood C02 canesters either. Is it to save weight on arm muscle? :up: (sorry sunday humor not doing too good) :mrgreen:
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Frankie13

by Frankie13

No spare tubular here too. I only carry sealant in the hot GA summer and during the cooler month when one bottle of water is enough, I have an extra tire and CO2 in a modified water bottle. I also want to mention that in about 70.000 miles of riding tubular I have never had a single flat on the road.

konky

by konky

How you carry what you need/want has to be the most personnel thing in cycling. If you like using a bag than stick to it. Take what you are going to put in it to your LBS and buy the one that works best.

If you don't care how it looks I guess a bag has to be a good option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcj9

by dcj9

What tommasini said. For me changing the tyre is a last resort though.

I carry 2x stans sealant and co2. My first choice is to seal the flat.
For that you need tubs where the core unscrews.