Cervelo S5 v S5 Team v S5 VWD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marcob

by marcob

I have a S5 team 2012 in size 58 and weighted the frame without all the hardware. Frame weight was 1410 grams, so not really a weightweenie.

Because of the bad finish i decided to let the frame be painted and finished again. This is the result.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/9647/dsc00765jn.jpg

The weight of the complete bike as pictured is 6,8 kg so that's not bad at all for an aero roadbike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmutley

by drmutley

The weight of the complete bike as pictured is 6,8 kg so that's not bad at all for an aero roadbike.[/quote]

Very nice! Except for that old skool cable stuff! ;-)

stevster

by stevster

i take it the fork has not been included in the frame weight, if so do you know the weight of it.
Thanks

marcob

by marcob

Yes, weight is without fork. If i remember correctly weight of the fork is 340 grams.

excremanwu

by excremanwu

This is the difference.
Left is VWD, right is Team
It seems that Cervelo sacrificed some aerodynamic construction for weight saving

phatphuk

by phatphuk

nice try!

that's not a real cervelo s5! the top-rear part of the seat tube is way too long (among other things). what you got there, pardner, is a miracle-bikes MT-MC055! I know, because i'm in the process of buying one myself! (an MT-MC055, that is; not an S5)

this is your bike:

this is your bike on drugs:

but i gotta hand it to you: you did manage to sucker the other posters who bought your story and replied to you as if it was a real cervelo :lol:

how does that old saying go? "you can fool some of the people, some of the time. but you can't fool all of the people all of the time..."

dynaserve

by dynaserve

^Not bad for post #2

phatphuk

by phatphuk

also, marcob, if i were you, i would have gone for marcop's 2013 S5 decals instead:

c'mon! would it kill you to add at least a _little_ color? you know what i mean? when will people wake up to the fact that all-black frame "designs" suck bosons?

Franklin

by Franklin

I find your comment a bit hasty. Here's an official S5 58CM (Vanmarcke).. and it does have the same long seat tube. Also, the rear dropout derailleur hanger looks rather like the original not of the fake frame. Same goes for the top tube-seat tube curve. The paint makes it a bit hrd to be sure, but it certainly seems the fake looks different there. Also, the tob tube does't look as flat as the MC-MT055. The seatpost inset is also a different color.

And even if it's a fake, perhaps the owner doesn't know? It's pretty easy to accuse someone of duplicity.

phatphuk

by phatphuk

Franklin wrote:...I find your comment a bit hasty...

Do you know what, Franklin? I have to agree with you there, son. I've never seen a seat post on an S5, as long as the one in your photo. But then again, who's to say that the frame in your photo didn't come from the same shop on aliexpress.com as the OP's frame? :lol:

After , I posted I did examine both a lot closer. And, I thought almost exactly what you said. The frame in the OP's photo does not have 100% the same lines, shapes and angles of the MT-MC055. That said, neither does it have 100% the same lines, shapes and angles of the the S5 photo that i ul'd.

So, marcob, my apologies if I jumped the gun there, bud :oops: But I still think the paint "scheme" sucks bosons though :wink:

wingguy

by wingguy

But then again, who's to say that the frame in your photo didn't come from the same shop on aliexpress.com as the OP's frame?

While I have no insider knowledge, for some reason I doubt that is where team Garmin Sharp source their frames...

mikefromcanmore

by mikefromcanmore

Unless you are going to buy a true VWD, buy a replica and save yourself a bunch of money for a power meter or nice wheels. I am sure many scorn me after reading that, but you will get 90% for 10%. Aero profile, BBright. Differences are fork length is 6 mm longer, HT is 1/8 - 1/4, RD cable routing exits rear of stay, seatpost and clamp and BB cable guide. Do the research, compare geometry closely and look for pictures of samples rather than pics of legit bikes. Here's a can of worms. To use BBright you have to sign an authorization with Cervelo. To use a brand (Pina, MC, Time, Specialized, Cervelo) you have to have authorization. Seems to me this could be shut down on a few fronts if they wanted to.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356889688.243127.jpg

eric

by eric

The "replica" frame are not exact copies. They don't use BBright. Direct market Chinese frames use BB30 or BSA. They're usually heavier than the frame they're designed after, although they are getting closer. They probably don't do the same amount of modelling or wind tunnel testing on their aero items, if they do any at all. They don't come with Cervelo or Pinarello logos. That's added by users, and it's in poor taste in my opinion. It says to me that it's about posing, not riding. I reject the idea that we can only define our lives through the things we buy. To me it's what we do with our things that is important.

That's not to knock the Chinese frames- they're great for what they are. I have one and just ordered another one. But the Cervelo logo stays on my Cervelo.

mikefromcanmore

by mikefromcanmore

BBright. Yes It is. Heavier by a bit. Logo'd yes. Different by a a few details as described and I speak from experience. My point was less about buying OEM, but rather spend money on parts that matter and save where you can...unless you want the absolute highest model available. Asian suppliers are not using refined composite lay ups, or nano tech. Typically it is Toray t700 or possibly T1000 at a small premium.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

Just get a big pair of red shoes and a squirty flower on your cycling shirt to complete the look :lol: :lol:
I reckon that bike was made when some one at Cervelo was tripping ...bring on the dancing elephants.