Look 695 vs. Storck Fascenario 0.7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

konky

by konky

tobyinsydney

That's a very good review indeed. I have an 0.6 and a lot of what you say rings true with me. The approach to the review was different and unusual and all the better for it.

It was great to see the 0.6 matched with the Meilenstein wheels. I've got a set of the new MY2013 on order. I chose them because they are exceptional wheels but also I hoped they would be a perfect aesthetic match with the moody looking 0.6. They are.
Last edited by konky on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

may i also temper my previous response by saying the 'badass' racers here dont ride uber expensive bikes ( okay pinarello is expensive, but they sponsor one of the largest teams here and somehow have a 'cult' following. never really liked them myself, but hey... some people do) because they are replaceable if crashed. the race frame of choice among the cannondales ( the other major team around here other than the pinarellos) is the supersix, which can be gotten comparatively cheaply to top end frames now, the fuji SL/SST, the scott foil (my team) .

basically, if I raced, I'd hesitate to ride the storck because simply put, that kind of cash to replace a ruined frame is not something to be sniffed at. the look is slightly cheaper, so I'd consder that.

konky

by konky

davidalone

I'm with you on this. I don't race but I do ride a lot and always hard, but if it's wet or icy I ride my R5. If the author of this post wants a bike that he can ride everyday, one he can take risks with, go for the Look. If he gets the 0.7 he'll like it so much he won't want to push it to its absolute limits.

I love my 0.6 so much I'd be seriously annoyed even if it got a scratch. Having said that lots of people do race their Storck bikes.

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

davidalone wrote:may i also temper my previous response by saying the 'badass' racers here dont ride uber expensive bikes ( okay pinarello is expensive, but they sponsor one of the largest teams here and somehow have a 'cult' following. never really liked them myself, but hey... some people do) because they are replaceable if crashed. the race frame of choice among the cannondales ( the other major team around here other than the pinarellos) is the supersix, which can be gotten comparatively cheaply to top end frames now, the fuji SL/SST, the scott foil (my team) .

basically, if I raced, I'd hesitate to ride the storck because simply put, that kind of cash to replace a ruined frame is not something to be sniffed at. the look is slightly cheaper, so I'd consder that.

Hi, lowly cat 2 here. I road/raced/sweated upon/starred at/got dropped on/won on a Scenario 1.0 for two seasons, and it is the best handling bike I've ever encountered. Funnily enough, I really didn't care for it the first two weeks I had it. It was a lot twitchier than what I was used to. Then I descended on it.. Wow. I fell in love! I know that the .7 is probably a different beast, but if the geometry is anything like the Scenario 1.0, it's probably incredible. Racing on it was wonderful. I mean, it's truly a "race" bike. It descends.. incredibly. And crits were equally railable. The ride quality wasn't sublime, but I never got beat up on it. I'm now riding a BMC Team Machine which is extremely smooth, but not as racey as the Storck. It feels a bit boring by comparisos!

I think a lot of people on this forum tend to arm-chair quarterback bikes, so the advice of "you've gotta ride it" is of course ideal. However, Storck and Look are not brands you can generally demo from your LBS. I would probably get a Storck over the LOOK just because of how unique and incredibly it road, but I have a thing for LOOKs. It's a tough and great decision to have.

One other note. I agree that, generally Storck hasn't had the aesthetic appeal to me as some other brands. I really love the style of LOOK. However, Storck's have gotten a lot better looking in recent years. I particularly like some of their matte finishes as well as their mostly white schemes.

:beerchug:

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

I know what you mean about the difference between the BMC and the Storck. That was more or less my view too. I've always preferred smooth over edgy, but there's just something about the Storck that makes me want to pick my speed up all the time.

As has been mentioned the one problem I do have and this is with all bikes over a certain value, is that trying to find a demo bike to ride is nigh on impossible. I bought my Storck purely on advice. In fact the only time I've been able to test ride another expensive bike properly was at the Eurobike test day, which obviously isn't open to everyone. I dare say that the problem is with expensive bikes that the dealer can't hold various different sizes and types of bike and make them all available for demo unless they're selling lots of them. Catch 22 I think.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Many thanks for your numerous answers and reviews! I think I'll stick with the 695 for some more time, get a decent climbing wheelset instead and save some money in case I destroy the frame next season (which hopefully will not happen).
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.