New bike advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Right,

So iv decided to bite the bullet and get a sportier bike to add to the stable,

Choices are -

Wilier Izoard Xp ultegra 2013
Focus Izalco pro 2 compact SRAM red 2012

The Focus is gonna cost me £400 more than the Wilier but has things like a better saddle, carbon stem and seatpost.

Just thoughts on both really?

Iv used ultegra and been really pleased with it however I don't think I'll struggle with SRAM double tap and have heard good things about SRAM

Thanks in advance.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

I don't konw since booth are great bikes whit good set ups.
But as I said to most of people.
Think what do you want first.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Doolop

by Doolop

Its the old sram red?

Go with the ultegra bike, 1st gen sram red simply doesnt work well.

53x12

by 53x12

"1st gen sram red simply doesnt work well."

Come again? Proud 1st gen SRAM Red owner with 6,000 miles on it without issue.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Wonderman

by Wonderman

It's a 2012 so I don't know weather it's the old one or not, I heard good things about the SRAM system

It's if the extra money is justified I'm wondering tbh

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

get the wilier!!! no competition!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by 2011

Saying the Wilier has a better saddle and stem is really arbitrary, since you don't know if that saddle will work well with your butt long-term, and you'll probably have to swap stems to a different length after fit.

And Groupsets... I personally ride the "old" SRAM RED and it works fantastic and love it. Have tried ultegra and had more difficulties with it.

Wonderman

by Wonderman

2011 wrote:Saying the Wilier has a better saddle and stem is really arbitrary, since you don't know if that saddle will work well with your butt long-term, and you'll probably have to swap stems to a different length after fit.

And Groupsets... I personally ride the "old" SRAM RED and it works fantastic and love it. Have tried ultegra and had more difficulties with it.

Hi, it's the Focus that has a better saddle, seatpost and stem, and by better I mean there carbon, whereas the wilier has alloy,

Can someone confirm if its the old or new SRAM as I wouldn't know where to start with that

Dozer

by Dozer

What wheels come with each?

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

If its a 2012 bike then it is definitely not the new version of Red. As Focus is not stocking any of there bikes with it until 2013 model year. However 1st gen Red is Awesome! I have had mine for 3 seasons. I find most people who dislike Red have never owned it and have only ridden it on a test ride on a poorly adjusted LBS bike. Just my experience.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I've owned a focus before and really didn't like it. Very heavy. Rode like a cheap frame. Paint was crap.

Go with the Willier.

Also, carbon stems aren't really something you should go out of your way to buy. Most people don't like them as they are very flexy and don't offer much in weight savings. Also I doubt it is a full carbon stem, most likely just a carbon wrap.

Wonderman

by Wonderman

The Izalco got bike of the year for 2012 though!!!?

They didn't mention it being heavy or unresponsive at all, the focus has some entry level cosmics and the wilier has shimano (again entry level)

Taken on board what your saying re the carbon stem I'd probs be swapping them out for different stuff any way at some point

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Long time, hard-core Shimano fan. Tried 2013 SRAM Red for the 1st time 5 weeks ago. Impressed enough to get more SRAM for another bike, this time Rival. Great stuff. When Dura-Ace 9070 is readily available I'll probably back in the Shimano camp, but I digress.

A Red level bike and an Ultegra level bike likely are on different quality levels, meaning the Red bike probably has higher grade carbon, wheels, finishing components. Most likely the Red level bike is lighter, too. Perhaps significantly lighter.

Again, 9 times out of 10, you will be changing stems for a different length to get a proper fit. BTW - MAKE SURE YOU GET A PROPER FIT!!!

Finally, the VeloNews Sept. 2011 issue had a comparison test featuring, among other bikes, a full Red, Focus Izalco. The Focus was the winner. Granted, these things need to be taken with a grain of salt, but this comparison test was very comprehensive, and, I thought, impressive.

If the Focus' geometry fits you properly (VERY IMPORTANT!!!) I would go with that bike without question.

Found that comparison test:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/ ... our_229143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Thank you for a full and frank response,

I have test ridden the bike and it fits fine (or as good as it will without a proper fit) and I will get it fitted,

Thanks for the link I will have a good read through

Ahhhh decisions decisions

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Well after a really stressful day and another test ride iv completely changed my mind and I'm going to order a ultegra supersix tomorrow!!

I just loved the 2012 105 one I rode tonight and I'm in love it's going to mean waiting till November and somehow wangling more money but I'm sure it's going to be worth it!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com