Ciamillo carbon crank now with pre-launch offer information!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

Speaking on behalf of detractors I see. I sincerely hope the new Ciamillo cranks reaches production status and at that mentioned weight, but I also know how difficult it is to actually manufacture a crankset that light, let alone even lighter. As proven by Zero Gravity's earlier attempt, it's exceedingly difficult to release an ultralight, reliable crankset onto the market. But to say it'll be the lightest crank in the world is overly optimistic as well as unrealistic, which is also spoken from personal experience. What cranksets have you designed or made, Mario Jr.?
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sedluk

by sedluk

I think this thread has been a little confusing. The original post claims 454 grams but has no information on what that includes. What the 454 grams includes is very important in assessing how this crank compares to the competition. Later it is claimed that this weight includes a BB but no details on what kind of BB. All this is kind of fishy.

Now we are to believe that the crank is down to 378 grams and that it has lost 70 grams in approximately one week. That would assume that the original weight was without a BB. Sounds fishy.

Take a look at what forum this is on, it is called “Weight Weenies”. We are of course interested in more than just weight but to throw around misleading weights is just not going fly.

If the weight of the arms and spindle is truly at 378 grams, that is competitive with other light cranks but does not come close to some of the other lower weight competition. Both the THM Clavicula crank and the Ax Lightness crank weigh about 336 grams for arms and spindle. The M3 is about 370 grams but is more versatile and has more room for your ankles.

So this looks like a promising prototype and if the finished product is sold at a competitive price, it should be well received.

It is hard to see from the pictures the shape of the arms and if they give much clearance for ankles. It looks to me that the center of the crank sticks out and would be an ankle buster. But maybe we just need better pictures. I just think that this is not a good way to introduce a crank. Kind of half ass.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

mythical wrote:Speaking on behalf of detractors I see. I sincerely hope the new Ciamillo cranks reaches production status and at that mentioned weight, but I also know how difficult it is to actually manufacture a crankset that light, let alone even lighter. As proven by Zero Gravity's earlier attempt, it's exceedingly difficult to release an ultralight, reliable crankset onto the market. But to say it'll be the lightest crank in the world is overly optimistic as well as unrealistic, which is also spoken from personal experience. What cranksets have you designed or made, Mario Jr.?

Wow, easy now. (I have actually moulded one out of paper maché that was pretty light. :wink: )

I just don't get the point of needing to show your (very nice BTW) crank as I'm sure there's even lighter cranks out there? At least my paper mache crank was, but there's a reason for that one not being produced, just as well as I suppose there's a reason your's isn't. Maybe too light?

runner999

by runner999

Not sure if 70grams was saved this way but removing the material between the spider arms would save some weight. May even save a few more grams with a thinner spindle ID and boring holes in the spindle splines.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So, Mythical, how much for your crank, my fellow fiend, I mean friend? :twisted:
I have a wish list. :twisted:
But, no money. :(
Yet. :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

artray

by artray

Can someone answer a few questions.
1 , What BB's will be available ?
2, Can we have the total weight including BB ? No confusion then .
3 What sort of testing is being done i.e. climbing sprints out of the saddle etc etc?
4, Are the riders testing the cranks of various sizes?
5, I Climb always on my 53t. Is this crankset going to cope with climbing in the harder gears?

Thanks artray

ps prendrefeu .Im not stalking you I keep posting the next post to your's
Last edited by artray on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Yes, I am optimistic. We have a new material and geometry for the core and we will be looking at further gains (mass losses). For some reason I find the greatest improvements post launch.. just to be clear, BB (bearings, or adapters as the case may be) were not included in my initial weight report and are not included now. And I did not say that this would be the lightest crank in the world, I said we are "on track to be" ... probably excitement about the results so far and the other changes I have yet to try. I am a bit overly optimistic and yes, there is a difference between being the lightest in the world and the lightest truly robust crank in the world .. the crank must be robust and light .. just like our Gravitas road calipers.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

2002SaecoReplica wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:Image

This is the original Zero Gravity crank in my hands at the 2006 Tour de Georgia.

Laff. I'll have to show Christian this picture next time I see him and see if he remembers taking it.

Man, C-Fos looks a little like Cav there. I had to do a double take...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

uraqt

by uraqt

Go TED GO!!!!! : )

C

runner999

by runner999

ZeroG wrote:Yes, I am optimistic. We have a new material and geometry for the core and we will be looking at further gains (mass losses). For some reason I find the greatest improvements post launch.. just to be clear, BB (bearings, or adapters as the case may be) were not included in my initial weight report and are not included now. And I did not say that this would be the lightest crank in the world, I said we are "on track to be" ... probably excitement about the results so far and the other changes I have yet to try. I am a bit overly optimistic and yes, there is a difference between being the lightest in the world and the lightest truly robust crank in the world .. the crank must be robust and light .. just like our Gravitas road calipers.

Hi Ted, I called last week on purchasing the crank but had some knee jerk hesitancies after I got home and read comments about additional changes in the works. Will these changes/updates be in the initial early offering of this crank with the lower weight?

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

runner999 wrote:Hi Ted, I called last week on purchasing the crank but had some knee jerk hesitancies after I got home and read comments about additional changes in the works. Will these changes/updates be in the initial early offering of this crank with the lower weight?

Yes, these changes and all the changes over the next few weeks will be incorporated into the production cranks. BTW, the lightening suggestions you made earlier are very valid.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Any of those pics on a bike yet Ted?

And are there still pre-sale offer spaces spare?...

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Yes, we have space available.. I want to send the bike pics right after we evaluate these latest changes.

runner999

by runner999

Hi Ted, Just for clarification, it was mentioned that the spindle will be available in multiple colors. Does this also apply to the spider or will this be black by default?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

runner999 wrote:Hi Ted, Just for clarification, it was mentioned that the spindle will be available in multiple colors. Does this also apply to the spider or will this be black by default?

Yes, you can specify the spider color.. I didn't encourage it because I think it may be a bit too much color because it is such a large part. I guess it comes down to the overall look of the bike.. but we can certainly do it for you.
Last edited by ZeroG on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.