Ciamillo carbon crank now with pre-launch offer information!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

THM yes, can you even consider ax-lightness (especially in the US?

BTW, I believe Pez's post states 448g including the BB. Could be wrong though.
Last edited by mdeth1313 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I like it 8) Colour options on the anodised part? Blue doesn't do it for me lol. That spider looks a little over engineered, plenty of meat could be removed from that me thinks? I'm assuming this has a Hirth joint yeah? Like Specalized, Campagnolo and my dearly departed Sweet Wings?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

lechat

by lechat

Looks nice, but the weight is about the same as the new Red BB30. Which go for ~$375 on eBay. And durability is still a big ?.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

deek wrote:How are they adjusting the chainline to make up for the different length spindles?

he mentions custom spindle lengths to change non-drive arm position. this would keep the chainline the same. no, i dont think it would be worthwhile either.

gospastic

by gospastic

My Red 2012 bb30 crankset is 415g including bb, excluding chainrings and bolts.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

[quote="CharlesM"][/quote]

With the hyper-sensitive shifting ramps of the new yaw-type SRAM rings and the 11 speed trimless shifters I wonder how well these will shift with their off-timed chainring spider?

The anti-drop pin on chainrings is also useless with this spider arrangement.

-SD

Stalkan

by Stalkan

bricky21 wrote:
sedluk wrote:448 grams is nothing to get excited about. It is not a bad weight for a modern crankset but many of us are currently riding lighter cranksets so not sure why there would be any excitement. They seem kind of expensive for the weight.

What other cranks are available at or below 450g for crank, BB, and spider at or below $1100? Thats a serious question BTW, as I'm not really up on WW cranks.

Not quite below 450g but close enough to not warrant paying double.

runner999

by runner999

Vuma Quad BB30 setup with chainrings, bearings, spacers, etc. - 574grams

(Note: 50/34 chainrings as a pair weigh 129grams. Just the arms/spider/spindle weigh 379grams to put things in perspective)

Vuma Quad BSA cups setup with chainrings, bearings, spacers, etc. - 596grams

mythical

by mythical

Impressive, Mr. Ciamillo, but not enough to get me warmed up to wanting one. Q-factor is once again too wide for my liking and I won't even mention how little ankle clearance it offers us duck-footed cyclists (which I am to a mild degree). They don't look half bad though. May these cranks come to the market and beget many happy costumers! :)
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Regarding the orientation of the spider.. the spider is removable and uses the same spline as the arm. The spider was simply placed on the spline for the photograph in the wrong orientation.

Regarding the weight, it will come down .. significantly I think; but I am more concerned about stiffness and robustness than weight at this point. The crank is one of the largest losses of power transfer. Testing is going well and weight will come off but I am not concerned about the Vuma weight that much because I don't know if the push to achieve that weight ultimately resulted in its being discontinued.

Regarding the Q and chainline.. On BB30 frames, there is a large spacer on the non-drive side so to reduce Q I just need the customer to verify that with their existing setup, a reduction in Q would not cause a clearance issue with chainstay and I am happy to shorten the non-drive spindle and spacer. This will not affect the 43.5 chainline for the drive side at all.

I know we are about weight here and pushing the envelope is what I am all about but on this project robustness and stiffness are my first priorities. I love working with carbon and enjoy applying the products and processing advice given to me by the folks at TCR Composites.. I will share some of the manufacturing process on this project shortly.

Thank you for all the compliments on the design. I will post some pics on a bike soon.

uraqt

by uraqt

Ted,

Thank you for the update and the opportunity for the early purchase!!!

C

eric

by eric

Thanks for the info and early purchase offer.

Will there be a Quarq spider?

"The crank is one of the largest losses of power transfer"- I'd be interested to see data on this, both comparative and absolute.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Nope.

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

I have a batch of spiders being run and will show the 110, 130, and 135 (all a little different).

I am working on the power meter requests too but Charles is right.. not yet.

milroy

by milroy

CharlesM wrote:WW went from being happy to talk about next gen or special project and product development to a place where a manufacturer can expect to gain very little usable feedback while risking a tidal wave of poo in the case they share any work in progress...

Yep totally agree.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com