Overall Ultegra Di2 6770 topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

climber8

by climber8

i posted this topic: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127234

another solution is to find a new battery with firmware older than v3.0.5, and then never update it.

the ones coming from shimano now have the new FW, so you'll need to find one in a shop that has the older FW. i have a few.

Mathelo

by Mathelo

Thanks for this note. I went ahead an ordered an FD 6870. Buying a battery with the old firmware just feels like I'm putting off the unavoidable. :(

climber8 wrote:i posted this topic: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127234

another solution is to find a new battery with firmware older than v3.0.5, and then never update it.

the ones coming from shimano now have the new FW, so you'll need to find one in a shop that has the older FW. i have a few.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwb

by dwb

All right, finally read through the whole thread.

My bike has a full 6770 system with EW67 junction, external battery, and charger BCR1. I want to update the firmware.
1. Is the way to go about this swapping the junction to a EW90 (with 2 SD-EW50 wires)?
1b. Are the 300 mm wires what everyone recommends?
2. Is the SM-BCR2 necessary for the PC connection?

freeloader

by freeloader

Using 8.4V headlight battery as backup, and adapter cable for SM-BCR2 -

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I've recently done the upgrade to an internal battery for my 6770 di2. It was purely for looks but I did like the idea of being able to upgrade firmware, set-up multi shift and save a few grams.

It turned up to be slightly more extensive than I'd initially thought. Unfortunately I didn't have the guts to take a mallet to my bottom bracket to remove the press fit shells and bearings so I opted to be my LBS to do the upgrade.

After a bit of research I required the following items

3 port junction box
Internal battery & charger
2x Cables to shifters and 1x Cable to new battery

So the spares are now on ebay!

My new junction box

My new internal battery

Some frame protection tape covering the di2 battery holes

Overall I'm pleased with the results and I know if I want 11 speed I'm going to require both the FD & RD. At the moment I'm content with 10 gears with a spare cassette with 28t for the hills.

dmtevo

by dmtevo

dwb wrote:All right, finally read through the whole thread.

My bike has a full 6770 system with EW67 junction, external battery, and charger BCR1. I want to update the firmware.
1. Is the way to go about this swapping the junction to a EW90 (with 2 SD-EW50 wires)?

You can upgrade the firmware by purchasing a SM-PCE1. They are pretty expensive although you can apparently do more with them. I opted for the internal battery which allows you to connect via the EW90 junction box. You can upgrade firmware and set-up multi shift but but it lacks the diagnostics you get with the SM-PCE1.

I suppose your best option, if you're happy with the battery, is to get your LBS to upgrade the firmware.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Nice thing about sticking to 10 speed is that you can run the Ultegra 12-30 cassette on the regular Ultegra Di2 RD, no problem. So if it's REALLY steep, you have a good low option. Or, if you run a standard double crankset but only occasionally go to the mountains.

I have a friend who used that setup on his road tandem that has Di2.... loves it.

I keep a couple of the 12-30 cassettes around for our 10 speed Di2 CX bikes. We do 2 races a year where the 30T really comes in handy.

glepore

by glepore

I have no desire to go 11 spd as all wheels etc are 10...but god forbid I trash my rd as it appears that I'd have to go to ebay. I can't find a reliable source for 6770 rear derailleurs, I presume that Shimano has suspended production?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

ironman1

by ironman1

Putting together Dura ace Di2 all 9070 with internal battery except for rear deraileur which will be 6770. I anticipate everything should work as long as I don't do an update past version 2.5. Can anyone confirm this is correct ?
I have several bikes with 10 speed wheels like glepore , hence the 6770 rear.

Tmtevo, did you use the 2.5 update or the most recent feeling safe that everything was 10 speed ?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

dwb wrote:All right, finally read through the whole thread.

I have 44 cm bars and had to use 350 mm etube cables to make it work.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

18 month old internal battery died on me suddenly on Sunday. On downhill (of course) in 52 15 with a big hill and 15 miles to go. Not fun. New battery ordered, hoping that's all it is. No warning, just poof. Etube sees it, all connections ok, but it won't charge.

It had fallen from seatpost and was in frame, but it wasn't rattling around. Not sure what's up, stay tuned.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

freeloader

by freeloader

Ultegra warranty is valid from 2 years, Dura-Ace 3

glepore wrote:18 month old internal battery died on me suddenly on Sunday. On downhill (of course) in 52 15 with a big hill and 15 miles to go. Not fun. New battery ordered, hoping that's all it is. No warning, just poof. Etube sees it, all connections ok, but it won't charge.

It had fallen from seatpost and was in frame, but it wasn't rattling around. Not sure what's up, stay tuned.

L3X

by L3X

Bit lost here on compatibility, can I do the following on the 10 speed Ultegra DI2:

1a. Install the internal seatpost battery and hook it up the internal junction
1b. charge via the shifters port for satellite shifters

2. If 1b won't work, install a 3 or 5 port junction with new wires to the shifters to charge

3. Not update the firmware on any of the components so that I can change derailleurs to 11 speed in the future

4. Enable multi-shifting via the internal battery charger

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Oh I wish Shimano would make all this stuff compatible... would be so nice if we could just run all combinations imaginable :(

Edit: obv. I meant compatible
Last edited by L3X on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freeloader

by freeloader

pls see replies below

L3X wrote:Bit lost here on compatibility, can I do the following on the 10 speed Ultegra DI2:

1a. Install the internal seatpost battery and hook it up the internal junction
yes
1b. charge via the shifters port for satellite shifters
yes, but you have to improvise and it is not official -
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107887&start=300#p1116607

2. If 1b won't work, install a 3 or 5 port junction with new wires to the shifters to charge
that is the official method

3. Not update the firmware on any of the components so that I can change derailleurs to 11 speed in the future
yes. If you are really concerned about firmware update, disconnect your internet connection while using e-tube software. I am not sure about downgrade though if the component(s) are already at a newer version

4. Enable multi-shifting via the internal battery charger
yes, for further info -
http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Oh I wish Shimano would make all this stuff incompatible... would be so nice if we could just run all combinations imaginable
:(
i guess you meant compatible. i won't hold my breath on that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Some additions to the above. Shimano has disabled the automatic updates on their site, so etube no longer auto updates-you don't need to worry about the internet connection part. You can find 2.5, the latest firmware without the need for compatibility on the web if you want. However, if you purchase a new internal battery, it'll have the new firmware already loaded.

Also, you can go 11 spd with 6770 shifters and latest but you'll need to buy both derailleurs rather than just the rear, that's the firmware issue.

You can't backdate the firmware.

Thanks for the warranty suggestion. Bought the group on ebay, and idk whether Shimano will hassle me about not going thru authorized channels, suspicion is that they will. Since the di2 bike is the only bike I want to use on my Computrainer at the moment, it needs fixed like yesterday, so I just bought a battery. If Shimano will warranty the old one, I'll ebay the replacement.