Has anyone tried 20mm carbon clincher's?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ch1llg

by ch1llg

I am looking at picking up a set of 20mm clinchers soon. I like the Far Sports FSC20-cs. I have my concerns of strength with such a small carbon profile. I weigh 180 pounds and a strong sprint style rider.

I saw a 20mm carbon clincher at a local bike shop that had split when they aired it up, so I naturally am concerned.

These wheels would be used for training purposes and all year around.

Anyone have any input?
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

jrennie

by jrennie

I think the intended purpose answers your question. As a heavier rider and having already seen a failure it doesn't make sense as a year round trainer. Trainers should be durable and problem free, lightweight is fine but not at the expense of the other two.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ch1llg

by ch1llg

jrennie wrote:I think the intended purpose answers your question. As a heavier rider and having already seen a failure it doesn't make sense as a year round trainer. Trainers should be durable and problem free, lightweight is fine but not at the expense of the other two.

So the question is, is there a light weight durable wheel out there made in carbon fiber that doesn't have a deep profile.

From doing some quick research it looks like 24mm carbon clinchers may be what I am looking for.

I am looking to see if any fellow weight weenie's has had any experience with such wheels.

Please chime in if you have.
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I had a pair of 20mm clinchers from light-bicycle.com that failed after descending a very steep twisty canyon. The brake track got hot enough that the pressure of the tube bulged the side of both rims. Very scary failure!

If you want low profile, go with tubulars. They're lighter too!

monty dog

by monty dog

Corima Winium or Campagnolo Hyperons?

If you want to take the risk with a cheaper rim, I'd opt for tubulars.
Just ride

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

In current clincher offerings there's no real weight advantage to low profile carbon rims. The weight savings of carbon don't seem to kick in until 30mm+ generally, so it's not worth the worse braking performance and increased chance of failure.

roca rule

by roca rule

how much weight will this set up save you comapred to alloy rims like kinlin xr-200 or stan's. i say the difference has to be over 200grams to be considered. you are loosing on braking performance and maybe reliability.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

http://www.xentis.com/en/2012/squad-2-5 ... /products/

would be my pick if I was in the market.

eric

by eric

roca rule wrote:how much weight will this set up save you compared to alloy rims like kinlin xr-200 or stan's.

About -50g. Stans aluminium rims are lighter than the 20mm carbon clinchers from FarSports.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

For what it's worth I noticed that some of the Chinese sellers/manufacturers stopped making clinchers in anything shallower than 38mm....

dayne

by dayne

If your big and a sprinter and these are for training go 42mm minimum in carbon,
Or build hed Belgiums, There alloy but Aero, 23mm wide and nice reliable wheels.
Theres also h+son Archertypes.

chiumomo

by chiumomo

petepeterson wrote:For what it's worth I noticed that some of the Chinese sellers/manufacturers stopped making clinchers in anything shallower than 38mm....

Who will buy a 20mm carbon clincher when it is heavier than a 38mm tubular?

eigner

by eigner

Maybe people who don't ride tubulars no matter what the weight difference is.
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

Timebandit415

by Timebandit415

A Stans 340 rim which is wide also, 17 inner bead to bead. It will be lighter than a 20mm carbon clincher, there are no heat related issues since its aluminum and it'll be more comfortable for year round training. Its a no brainer really.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ch1llg

by ch1llg

I have learned alot from your replies. Thanks for all the info!

Keep it coming!
2011 Felt F5 Limited
2007 Lynskey Level 2
2008 Masi Speciale Fixed
2011 Felt F75