Road bikes feeling the pressure of 2X10(11)?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

voodoojar

by voodoojar

i run a 1x10 on my road bike. i do a 50 up front with a sram red wifli 11x32 in the back. it seems to work for me fairly well except for the dirty looks i get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

I do 200 grams of added weights in the rims of my climbing wheels... Seems to work fine for me too. Either that or just ever so slightly dragging my brakes up hills... I'm aiming to add about 10w of effort to my workout. No point in having a light weight bike if it means you're missing out on a good workout session...

:D

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

BeeSeeBee wrote:The difference in efficiency varied (cadence/chain tension had a negative impact on efficiency), but it seems like efficiency gained from a larger cog helps offset some of the loss of cross chaining.

When you keep power and speed constant, higher chain tension (smaller ring and cogs) *increased* efficiency.
formerly rruff...

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Yeah I think I stated that oddly, *lower* chain tension from higher cadence decreased efficiency.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

KLabs

by KLabs

Dozer wrote:... While looking at options to upgrade my mt. bike I was looking at 2x10 or 1x11 options to replace the current 3x9. My conclusion there was a 2x10 with a 1.6:1 ratio on the chain rings would be optimal. I also concluded the 1x11 would not work on the hills I ride here.

Out of curiousity, I did some calculations of a 1x11 on my road bike compared to my current 2x10 (50/34 and 12-23). Much to my suprise, it would work great! I could keep the same top gear and my lowest is stepped up by a very small amount. I came up with a 46 up front and a 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 22, 25, 30 cassette out back. That gave me very tight resolution in my critical 19-24mph range where I spend most of my time.

Potential weight savings are significant, especially if a SRAM XX style cassette was available. I have no clue why this is not common.

Hi Dozer, yes, I think my next groupset will be a 1x11 and perhaps the SRAM XX1 or similar. Dinner plate size low sprocket should look interesting :=)