New Fulcrum Quattro and Campagnolo scirocco 35 wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NGMN

by NGMN

anyone know if tour has tested these?

Seems like the 30-40mm aluminum wheel market actually has some good competition these days. I've had my eye on these, the Accelero 40 pro, Easton EA90 TT, and Kinlin xr380. Just not sure what should be the deciding factor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toshi

by toshi

Holy crap those rims are beefy. Thanks chiumomo. On the plus side as boolinwall wrote, these things (scirocco 35) are stiff. They roll smooth and feel great in the corners. Awesome value as a training wheelset assuming they are as bombproof as they look/feel.

chiumomo

by chiumomo

del
Last edited by chiumomo on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

octav

by octav

After all, does anyone have the real weight of these 2 wheels? I did not find anywhere a real weight. I would be intersted in one of the 2: fulcrum or campy

Gamper

by Gamper

Did someone post the rim weights of the quattros? The pictures are dead..

octav

by octav

Yes, also intersted in the both wheelsets weight for Campy or Shimano.
I would like to buy either the Scirocco or Fulcrum, but I would buy the lighter one, of course :) And I know that weights fluctuate pretty much.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

I rode the Quattro and did a review on my blog. See here http://glorycycles.blogspot.com/2013/01 ... ?q=quattro

Given the price, I think it's the Quattro and the weight difference not significant
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

octav

by octav

Thanks a lot for the review,its only now I have seen the post

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

cwdzoot wrote:I rode the Quattro and did a review on my blog. See here http://glorycycles.blogspot.com/2013/01 ... ?q=quattro

Given the price, I think it's the Quattro and the weight difference not significant

cwdzoot, the review says they have cup and cone bearings but they are actually cartridge bearings. The Zondas and above have cup and cone bearings.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

5 8 5 wrote:The Zondas and above have cup and cone bearings.

I'm pretty sure campag changed that for 2014 - Think all their road wheels have cup and cone bearings.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

istigatrice, can you provide any evidence re. cup and cone bearings across the board?

I've checked the latest wheel and spares catalogues on the Campag site and all wheels below Zondas are cartridge bearings. The deep section Bullet 50s and 80s are also cartridge bearings.
I would think the cost would prohibitive to use cup and cone bearings over the whole range.

Can anyone with 2014 Scirocco, Vento or Khamsin wheels chime in?

@cwdzoot, can you confirm the type of bearings?

sawyer

by sawyer

IME having owned or ridden pretty much all of Campags wheels the cup and cone level
is really worth drawing a line under ... i.e. don't but anything below Zondas - which are good VFM from ribble etc.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

istigatrice

by istigatrice

5 8 5 wrote:istigatrice, can you provide any evidence re. cup and cone bearings across the board?

I was in the shop the other day, saw the new fulcrum racing 5 wheels with the cup and cone bearings. Think it should apply to the equivalent campag wheel.

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

istigatrice, did you see the hub stripped down? Could it have been a Racing 3 (Zonda)?

Info from 2014 Campag and Fulcrum spares catalogues and the 2014 Campag wheel catalogue -

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I must have been mistaken then...