Extralite HyperClinch SP

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
foz

by foz

I've just seen these wheels on the Extralite page, available december 2010. SPX/SPM hubs (are those different to the normal SX hubs?), stans 340 rims, 24f/28r bladed spokes, 1150g for 899 euro.
I'm not sure if the hubs are different to the SX model listed on their site, but if they are the same then they're listed at 399 and 149 euros, the rims are 90 euros each on stan's website, if the spokes are cxrays then there's another 100 euros, which makes 828, so the 899 price seems reasonable for the fully built set. They're certainly much cheaper than carbon clinchers at the same weight.
Are the 340 rims reasonably stiff in 24/28 hole?

I guess nobody will have used them yet as they're still not available, but I'd like some opinions anyway please!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

foz wrote:I've just seen these wheels on the Extralite page, available december 2010. SPX/SPM hubs (are those different to the normal SX hubs?), stans 340 rims, 24f/28r bladed spokes, 1150g for 899 euro.
I'm not sure if the hubs are different to the SX model listed on their site, but if they are the same then they're listed at 399 and 149 euros, the rims are 90 euros each on stan's website, if the spokes are cxrays then there's another 100 euros, which makes 828, so the 899 price seems reasonable for the fully built set. They're certainly much cheaper than carbon clinchers at the same weight.
Are the 340 rims reasonably stiff in 24/28 hole?

I guess nobody will have used them yet as they're still not available, but I'd like some opinions anyway please!
SPX/SPM are straight pull versions of the regular hubs.

foz

by foz

Thanks! there was no mention of them anywhere else on the page. Any idea why they use straight pull hubs/spokes in the wheels instead of just using their normal hubs?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Extralite has more models than most people mention. As was mentioned the SPM/SPX is a straight pull version of their SX hubs. They typically won't sell them as hubs alone and only in complete wheels. However I have bought some individually and they are more expensive than the regular SX hubs.

They use the straight pull because it allows a wider bracing angle which translates to a stiffer wheelset.

They have SL2, SX, and SPM for front hubs, and SL, SX, SPX, and SLX for rear hubs.

t0ph0id

by t0ph0id

Has anyone tried any of these yet, seems like a decent wheelset for the price.

sparrowlegs

by sparrowlegs

I emailed Extralite this week and got a really detailed response from them.

They can be ordered with black nipples, in case you were wondering, and have passed every stress test with flying colours.

They make them in batches and all have been sold until March.

Which coincides with when I'll be ordering a set.

Going to go the full whack and get the ceramic bearings too.

I put a post about these on RBR and was told they'd easily cope with my 180lb on them.

I doubt you'd be able to find a carbon set that light at that price, plus another bonus is the tubeless compatibility which I'll also be taking advantage of.

Raxel

by Raxel

I think the most weight shaving of that wheelset comes from VERY light hub (almost 100gr lighter than other ones) so it does not affect much to rotational inertia of the wheelset.

That said, I too am temped to get some of their rims... My 38mm carbon clincher rims weighs 450gr and I can shave whopping 200gr of rotating mass by using them..

jooo

by jooo

@Raxel - You realise the No Tubes 340 is one of the lighter 'normal' clinchers available? 360-ish grams each...

Raxel

by Raxel

jooo wrote:@Raxel - You realise the No Tubes 340 is one of the lighter 'normal' clinchers available? 360-ish grams each...

What I meant is the weight shaving over more conventionally-built a340 wheelset, e.g. elf/orc hubs, dt240, etc.

t0ph0id

by t0ph0id

sparrowlegs wrote:I emailed Extralite this week and got a really detailed response from them.

They can be ordered with black nipples, in case you were wondering, and have passed every stress test with flying colours.

They make them in batches and all have been sold until March.

Which coincides with when I'll be ordering a set.

Going to go the full whack and get the ceramic bearings too.

I put a post about these on RBR and was told they'd easily cope with my 180lb on them.

I doubt you'd be able to find a carbon set that light at that price, plus another bonus is the tubeless compatibility which I'll also be taking advantage of.

Good news about the black nipples, not keen on the red ones.

How much does the ceramic bearings add on to the price?

Hmm, March should be when my bonus comes in...

so at my current 129lb they should be bomb proof!

Privateer

by Privateer

Does anyone already use Extralite wheels? Are you happy with them?

I'm considering using thier hubs for a MTB wheel build.

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Nice understated look

kgt

by kgt

Are they as light as advertised?

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Just wanted to mention that the rims are available for customs, with SLX hubs, or any other hub that is available. I'm building a set 18f and 24r with Alchemy hubs that should weigh 1185g. The rims are 335g and 355g. With SLX hubs they'd weigh ~1085g... so 1150g for the Extralite wheels is certainly reasonable.