BH Ultralight vs Wilier 0.7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

prendrefeu wrote:Saw a Zero7 on this morning's ride, I was surprised at how good it looks in person.

you should try riding one if you like the looks
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hi all.

I picked up a second hand Zero.7 in large.

Very nice.

But it seems to have water in the chain stays, I think maybe only the drive side.

The chain stays do not seem to have internal holes connecting with the seat stays or the seat or down tubes. In fact, if the water is in the drive side stay only, I think the chain stays aren't linked via the BB either.

I can't for the life of me see how the water got in there nor, more importantly, how to get it out. The only likely possibilities seem to be the hole through the BB for the FD cable. But, as mentioned, I can't get any water (not even a trace) out of there and I'm wondering if the BB doesn't even have any internal holes to the chain stays.

The only other possibility is the rivets that hold the cable stop for the RD, on the bottom of the DS chain stay, just in front of the rear dropout. But can't see any sizeable amount of water getting in there either.

I'm estimating there's somewhere between 50g and 100g of water sloshing around in there.

Not good when the whole point of the frame is to get under 800g.

Any ideas for a fix?

Prefer not to drill a drain hole...

Cheers in advance.

Sorry for the slight OT / thread hyjack.

GJ

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

there must be a hole for water to get in - but unless you want another one, then all i can suggest is leave it baking in the sun so the frame gets warm and try and drive the water out as vapour.... the issue is, if it has got in once, it will again, so a small hole at a low point might not be a bad idea
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Thanks Spin

I emailed Greg at Ride Magazine - they did a review of the Zero.7 in the current issue. He emailed me a photo of the BB on the test bike (crank removed) that showed a large hole at the rear of the BB cylinder that would allow water to be drained from the chain stays to the BB, once the BB cups were removed.

But I could see from looking inside the BB on my frame that my frame has no such (internal) hole. I think the difference is because the Ride frame was Di2 specific, whereas mine is mechanical.

So ended up drilling out one of the rivets that holds the cable stop for the RD to the bottom of the DS chain stay.

And.... success! Drained a fair puddle out of the chain stays (they appear to be linked behind the BB so water can flow internally from the DS chainstay to the NDS chainstay and vice versa).

I'll replace that rivet with a self tapper screw.

The water must've gotten in via the holes in the BB for the FD cable. Water probably ran down the cable into the frame.

But I'm just happy I got the river out and can drain it again if it happens again.

Cheers

GJ

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

Junkie - dont take it out in the wet - thats the answer :)

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Lol.

I haven't even built it up yet.... :oops:

Crash716

by Crash716

I have the G6 and have been riding it for about 3 weeks now. I had the G5 before and have ridden the UL also. All three are great bikes…I was shocked at how stiff the new G6 is, IMO just as much so as the Ultralight. The Wiliers are very beautiful, and you're looking at italian goodness for sure.

I have a great deal thru the team on the G6 so for me it was an easy choice. Love the bike, climbs well, descends better than any bike i've ever been on and sprints well too!

Mine without any crazy bits at all is at 14.9lbs. there is a lot of weight to be lost on there too if I really cared…I am a crit guy that's about 10lbs underweight so the price to weight drop just isn't a concern for me.

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

I pulled down an ultralight frame in the shop yesterday.

860g for what I'm guessing is circa 56cm, including hanger, cable guides, bottle cage bolts.

Fork was 303g uncut.

Overall quality level was fantastic.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Gearjunkie wrote:Thanks Spin

I emailed Greg at Ride Magazine - they did a review of the Zero.7 in the current issue. He emailed me a photo of the BB on the test bike (crank removed) that showed a large hole at the rear of the BB cylinder that would allow water to be drained from the chain stays to the BB, once the BB cups were removed.

But I could see from looking inside the BB on my frame that my frame has no such (internal) hole. I think the difference is because the Ride frame was Di2 specific, whereas mine is mechanical.

So ended up drilling out one of the rivets that holds the cable stop for the RD to the bottom of the DS chain stay.

And.... success! Drained a fair puddle out of the chain stays (they appear to be linked behind the BB so water can flow internally from the DS chainstay to the NDS chainstay and vice versa).

I'll replace that rivet with a self tapper screw.

The water must've gotten in via the holes in the BB for the FD cable. Water probably ran down the cable into the frame.

But I'm just happy I got the river out and can drain it again if it happens again.

Cheers

GJ

I think I know where that water came from (if the frame was from Christchurch). Some of the West Coast's finest, collected over 220k in the wet...

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Nope, the water was there before I even built the bike up. No water got in on the West Coast during 5P.

8)

GJ

thencameyou

by thencameyou

ha, nice one.
my Look had a good amount of water sloshing around in it after that day.