Need lighter frame suggestions....

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Locked
teamtrinity
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Contact:

by teamtrinity

Hey,

Thinking of getting a new frame this winter. Right now I'm riding a 2007 Look 595 (XS). Total bike weight stands at 12.6 lbs.

What are some lighter frame/fork/post combos I can get for around $4000?

Thanks!


there are multitudes of topics on this

teamtrinity
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Contact:

by teamtrinity

If I got a used Cervelo R3-SL, put a light fork and seatpost on it...would that be a good option?

2011
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 pm

by 2011

Not sure of exact weight of that frame, but online it says 1040g.

I'd say if you want to keep the same aesthetics of the frame, a Parlee Z5 would be a good choice, and be 250-300g lighter probably.

teamtrinity
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Contact:

by teamtrinity

2011 wrote:Not sure of exact weight of that frame, but online it says 1040g.

I'd say if you want to keep the same aesthetics of the frame, a Parlee Z5 would be a good choice, and be 250-300g lighter probably.


The Parlee Z5 SL is in the mix. The Cervelo R3-SL is supposed to be sub-800g.

http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderproductdetail?gfid=12015"%20onclick="window.open(this.href);return%20false;"%20onclick="window.open(this.href);return%20false;

StefanG
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:25 pm

by StefanG

teamtrinity wrote:Hey,

Thinking of getting a new frame this winter. Right now I'm riding a 2007 Look 595 (XS). Total bike weight stands at 12.6 lbs.

What are some lighter frame/fork/post combos I can get for around $4000?

Thanks!


That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I have a very light $1 bill (i cut the corners off) that I'll trade you for $100 bill.

teamtrinity
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Contact:

by teamtrinity

StefanG wrote:
teamtrinity wrote:Hey,

Thinking of getting a new frame this winter. Right now I'm riding a 2007 Look 595 (XS). Total bike weight stands at 12.6 lbs.

What are some lighter frame/fork/post combos I can get for around $4000?

Thanks!


That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I have a very light $1 bill (i cut the corners off) that I'll trade you for $100 bill.


Well, my Look is starting to look a little beat up. I want a new frame. I like light bikes. So I might as well shop for one lighter than my Look.

thisisnotaspoon
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:42 pm

by thisisnotaspoon

Is there any reason not to get a Cannondale Evo other than it's way under budget? Isn't there an even more expensive, even lighter, version coming out soon too?

StefanG
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:25 pm

by StefanG

teamtrinity wrote:Well, my Look is starting to look a little beat up. I want a new frame. I like light bikes. So I might as well shop for one lighter than my Look.


Fair enough. :)

NGMN
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 7:13 am

by NGMN

The Cervelo R3-SL is certainly a light frame(~800 grams for a 56), and most modern frames don't really rival it. Though, many seem to prefer the stouter rides of the current Cervelo's with BBright and oversized steerer tube. Personally, I'm not too caught up on uber-stiffness but may be something to consider.

Locked
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post